“Romantic and delicious”

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Monterey
“Romantic and delicious”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Loved loved loved this place. ESP when they cook food right in front of you. Small so make reservations.

• Visited February 2013

Des Moines, IA
“Subarashii, nee! (Truly wonderful, *yes*!)”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We started with the nikumaki (green onion roll) and steamed artichoke (and the wasabi and miso vinaigrette highlights are delightful), then ordered the almond crusted sea bass and the grilled salmon. It was a special meal together with family before I returned to my work in Asia, and was a wonderful way to share with them some of my favorite Japanese flavors without going all the way back to Japan to do so!

Not everyone gets to The Flying Fish via automobile: As for us, we Midwesterners had taken a Gray Line tour of the Monterey/Carmel area (highly recommended, by the way, for those visiting this area without a vehicle, and who are more interested in the scenery than in figuring out the highways), and we had 90 minutes to "find lunch". Upon walking down the steps and seeing the gorgeous oceanfront views, we spotted The Flying Fish Grill. In a flash, we could smell the delicious Japanese culinary fragrances wafting in the air, and we immediately agreed to go in to see how long the wait would be before we could be seated. We were pleasantly surprised by being seated in no more than 5 minutes after arriving! *Now* (after seeing that so many other travellers have discovered the Fukumotos' restaurant), it would be ***much*** wiser to have a reservation *before* arriving!

Have also recommended the Flying Fish to work colleagues and others across the country (some who live in the same area, and who had *no* idea it was even there! If this place were in *my* backyard, I would be over there *constantly*!). If you love fresh seafood, Asian cuisine, and excellent service, wait no more: "fly" over to the Flying Fish ASAP!

• Visited September 2012
San Jose, CA
“Outstanding!”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We chose The Flying Fish based on Trip Advisor reviews. The wonton and ginger salsa they serve when you are seated was amazing. We are still talking about it! The combination of the buttery wontons and all the flavors in the ginger salsa... It was perfection! I ordered the black bean halibut after reading the rave reviews on T.A. I did not regret it, it was suburb. My husband ordered the seared ahi which had the most amazing miso-ginger sauce. We topped it off with a green tea sundae. Every bite of our meal was outstanding! Our server, Gabrielle, was lovely and the whole atmosphere was really special. I loved that the owner came around to check in and make sure we were happy. We had a great experience and can't wait to return! Also, make sure you make reservations beforehand!

• Visited July 2013
SF, CA
“A Great Find!”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Loved this place! While waiting for our table, we chatted briefly with another couple who had eaten here many times. They highly recommended the peppered ahi tuna entreee, so we decided to try it. Wow - it was delicious! We also spilt the California Tower crab appetizer - kind of like a deconstructed California roll - very fresh and beautifully presented. The service was warm and attentive, from our welcome to our wonderful waitress Gabriella. We had eaten a late lunch down at Napenthe so didn't have big appetites for dinner. The two of us split both the appetizer and the entree. When they brought the dessert menus, we were too full to consider the large desserts being offered. When we mentioned that we were craving something small, they let us order one scoop of coconut ice cream with just a drizzle of hot fudge - it was perfect! I highly recommend this place if you're looking for inventive seafood and a warm atmosphere.

• Visited July 2013
“Solid Seafood Restaurant”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

The restaurant is small, so reservations are a good idea. The almond-crusted sea bass and lobster were good, but the calamari was on a whole other level. It was one of their specials and was probably the best calamari I have ever had from a restaurant. You can tell that the calamari was very fresh from its texture. If I ever find myself in Carmel again, I would make sure to stop by for that calamari.

• Visited June 2013