“Outstanding!” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
San Jose, CA
“Outstanding!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We chose The Flying Fish based on Trip Advisor reviews. The wonton and ginger salsa they serve when you are seated was amazing. We are still talking about it! The combination of the buttery wontons and all the flavors in the ginger salsa... It was perfection! I ordered the black bean halibut after reading the rave reviews on T.A. I did not regret it, it was suburb. My husband ordered the seared ahi which had the most amazing miso-ginger sauce. We topped it off with a green tea sundae. Every bite of our meal was outstanding! Our server, Gabrielle, was lovely and the whole atmosphere was really special. I loved that the owner came around to check in and make sure we were happy. We had a great experience and can't wait to return! Also, make sure you make reservations beforehand!

SF, CA
“A Great Find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Loved this place! While waiting for our table, we chatted briefly with another couple who had eaten here many times. They highly recommended the peppered ahi tuna entreee, so we decided to try it. Wow - it was delicious! We also spilt the California Tower crab appetizer - kind of like a deconstructed California roll - very fresh and beautifully presented. The service was warm and attentive, from our welcome to our wonderful waitress Gabriella. We had eaten a late lunch down at Napenthe so didn't have big appetites for dinner. The two of us split both the appetizer and the entree. When they brought the dessert menus, we were too full to consider the large desserts being offered. When we mentioned that we were craving something small, they let us order one scoop of coconut ice cream with just a drizzle of hot fudge - it was perfect! I highly recommend this place if you're looking for inventive seafood and a warm atmosphere.

“Solid Seafood Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

The restaurant is small, so reservations are a good idea. The almond-crusted sea bass and lobster were good, but the calamari was on a whole other level. It was one of their specials and was probably the best calamari I have ever had from a restaurant. You can tell that the calamari was very fresh from its texture. If I ever find myself in Carmel again, I would make sure to stop by for that calamari.

• Visited June 2013
Monterey, California
“Great Seafood!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

The seafood is fresh and prepared with simple but delicious sauces. This is a small restaurant so you'll want to make reservations. Great ambiance in a great location. You have to try this place!

• Visited June 2013
McLean, Virginia
“Best Birthday dinner EVER!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We flew from DC to celebrate a big birthday for me with family from San Francisco and I wanted a special place-boy was this it! Coming from DC I have been to all of the "good" restaurants and Flying Fish Cafe is at the top of my list! Our waiter Rich could not have been better-just the right combination of smart and knowlegeable and gently attentive....the owner even played Happy Birthday to me on his banjo! All of our fish were prepared perfectly with sides that complimented the tase.. and the hot pot was a great choice as it was all cooked right at the table, adding to the delightful experience. If this restaurant were in our area we would be Friday night regulars!