“Delicious seafood with a Japanese twist”
Review of Flying Fish Grill

Flying Fish Grill
Ranked #3 of 152 Restaurants in Carmel
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My husband and I came to Carmel for a short getaway to relax and to EAT! I researched restaurants for several days before our trip, and thanks to Yelp!, ended up at the Flying Fish Grill.

FIrst of all, I have to say that, of all of the restaurants we tried, Flying Fish Grill was, by far the most hospitable. The service was outstanding. Even though it was our first time there, and we were surrounded by regulars, we felt like we were honored guests in someone's home.

After devouring the wonton chips, we had the California Tower. I am a big fan of California roll, but this deconstructed version was beyond belief. Perfectly seasoned sushi rice (not too much vinegar) with a mound of Dungeness crab, topped with slices of avocado. My husband and split one order, but could have each eaten our own.

My husband ordered the halibut, which he pronounced delicious and perfectly cooked. Next time he wants to try the seabass, and said if he had the halibut again he might ask them to put in a little fewer of the black beans. (probably because he is used to a lower-salt diet)

I decided to splurge and ordered the Australian lobster tail ($46), which was served with a delicious curried rice. When the server brought the lobster tail, I couldn't believe how huge it was. It looked incredible. When I put the first bite in my mouth, I almost ...cried. It was mushy and tasted undercooked. I tried a couple more small bites from different parts of the lobster but it wasn't much better. I reluctantly called the waiter over and asked if he could maybe have the chef put it back under the broiler.

What followed is a model of how all restaurants should handle a guest complaint. The server immediately whisked my plate away, and said he would have the chef prepare me a brand new lobster tail. He returned almost immediately with a beautiful green salad for me to enjoy so that my husband wouldn't feel like he was eating in front of me. Shortly thereafter, the manager (Rich?) came over to apologize and to assure me that the chef would make it right.

When the new lobster came out, it was cooked to perfection, succulent and buttery. It was so large that I even let my husband share it with me (since I wanted to save room for dessert!)

Although I was beyond full, I was determined to order the tempura banana fritter, hot caramel sundae, and I was not disappointed. Both of the tables near us had also ordered the same dessert (in fact the couple next to us seemed to be in a little scuffle about who had eaten more than his share!) so it must be one of their more popular desserts. If you like bananas, strawberries and home-made caramel sauce, this is a must-have dessert, and goes down surprisingly easily even after large meal.

Rich, the manager, spent some time talking with us, and mentioned he has been with the restaurant for 20 years. He is the perfect host - warm, welcoming, and friendly in a genuine way - the kind of person you'd like to sit down and have dinner with!

1  Thank jgotteach

Reviewed June 28, 2013

The Flying Fish was recommended to us by our hotel and it was a great selection. I had one of the best seafood dinners of our trip, peppered raw ahi, and it was memorable. I guess we were lucky because the desk clerk told us that it usually is hard to get into. I can see why.

Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Fresh calamari was awesome. Fishes were fresh. However, the souces of the fishes is not as good as our expectations. Green tea sundae is a good one to try.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Nice setting though below grade. Host was extremely nice as was our server. Appetizers were yummy. Main courses were generally very good.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

The food and service were excellent. The restaurant is small and a little pushed for space but very cosy. Our waiter was efficient and knowledgable is a little perfunctory, but the meal was out of this world. The artichoke starter was sublime and the black bean halibut was delicious. My husband had the crab starter and sea bass and loved both. We didn't have desert, but came away full.

The only negative was a very loud group of young people at the next table who were attending a wedding and spent the night shouting across the table at one another. Why can't they speak anymore? They ruined the evening for the whole restaurant.

1  Thank paripatetic