All reviewscookiesgreat locationsan carloswine and appetizersthird floorafternoon winecarmel by the seaocean avenuewithin walking distancehot tublight breakfastparking is tightthe main streetno elevatoryogurtno air conditioningshops and restaurants
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I didn't expect much on this place for a trip with my wife, however I booked this months in advance and got the worst room possible (supposedly was the best but also the only available room(??) this childish excuse was actually given to me).
I could go on and on but just a couple of examples: there's an ice bucket in the room, no ice machine (couldn't find any!).. The vending machine shows one brand but the drinks are from the competitor (coke and Pepsi). This little obvious details show me that the most important are not taken care of.
Wouldn't return, ever!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lfba
karenred1010, Manager at Coachman's Inn, A Four Sisters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2013

Thank you for your review and for visiting with us in Carmel. I'm not sure if you had checked with the desk but we do have an ice machine -- it is located on the second floor - there is a door marked "ICE" - we try to keep it tucked away a little bit for sound insulation). As far as Coke and Pepsi machines, we do have two beverage vending machines with different Coke and Pepsi products - not sure I understand fully this concern. Please feel free to write me an email at karen@coachmansinn.com to fully express all of your concerns for a 1 out of 5 star rating so that we can address them - we are sorry you did not enjoy your stay. It very well may be that our last room left was our best room (Luxury King with in-room Jacuzzi -- sometimes those room types are the first to go and sometimes they are the last -- if there is a conference in town and people are looking for lower priced rooms first). We hope you enjoyed your time visiting all of the sites on the Monterey Peninsula and rest assured we do care about all of our guests.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

Management is inflexible, unpleasant & unaccommodating! Called 2 weeks ahead of busy Big Sur Marathon weekend to arrange for a 2 hour late checkout! Made a repeat request 1 week before. No follow through from management until I arrived and was informed I would have to pay an extra night's charge! Runners beware-manager said she charges all runners for another night if they are not out on time! Totally illogical reasoning from manager-something about housekeeping leaves at 4 and they couldn't possibly get my room cleaned between 2-4! After discussing how ridiculous that was, manager said she would get back to me ASAP after she gave it some thought. Rooms were available at property. After visiting the office several more times over the 2 days to inquire about her decision, she finally decided on an extra $49 charge for the 2 hours which I figured was the best I could do! The property itself is ok. Good location, clean, friendly housekeeping, etc. but definitely not worth the hassle of dealing with unreasonable/unpleasant management! Parking is also a problem but this seems to be
the case in Carmel.

• Stayed: April 2013

Thank you for your thoughts. As a small inn, we do our best to be flexible with check out and check in times. Our housekeeping staff does work extremely hard and their shift ends at 4 PM. With hotels, everything is about timing and with our different room types, if we have one person in a specific room type that request a late check out and a guest arriving requesting an early check in, there is not enough time to properly clean a room (which we take great pride in). Our check out time is 11 AM and we always do our best to provide a late checkout when possible. When we have multiple rooms all requesting a late check out, timing wise, it proves impossible to get every room clean by the promised 3 PM arrival time for the next guests. Most hotels operate in the same way (in fact I stayed somewhere recently where we were told if we stayed until 1, instead of 12, we would be charged a half day rate; past 2 PM, a full day rate). Our apologies that we couldn't accommodate your request fully - again, if it was just one room out the 30 we had occupied on that Saturday night, it would have been easy to accommodate - but with many, many rooms having the same request, unless we brought in temporary housekeepers that did not know our hotel, it logistically would be impossible.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Recently stayed at the Coachman's inn and had a fantastic stay. The inn is easy to find and is within one block of the main street in Carmel. The staff were very friendly and made us feel very welcome. The inn is spotless througout and the rooms are well presented. Continental breakfast is left outside your room in the morning which is a nice touch. A very good place to stay if you are lucky enough to be spending some time in Carmel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
karenred1010, Manager at Coachman's Inn, A Four Sisters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Thank you for your kind review. Carmel is such a lovely town - and being able to walk to the beach, wine tasting rooms, shops, art galleries and restaurants and just leave the car is nice. Hope to see you again sometime in the future.

Karen, Manager

Reviewed March 22, 2013

We stayed here for two nights, 2 rooms, the week of March 12th, 2013. After a very disappointing 1 night at another hotel in Monterey, we arrived at the Coachman's Inn and asked if they had any rooms available for us, though we were without a reservation. To our delight, they did, and they saved our vacation! The rooms were spacious and clean (yes, they actually launder the comforter on the bed, unlike many other hotels!!), and the overall feeling of the inn is very rustic, romantic, and relaxing. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly, and made our Pomeranian that was traveling with us feel very welcome. The location was perfect for us since it is right in downtown Carmel, for we were able to walk through all the downtown shops, as well as to the beach. We highly recommend this inn to anyone looking for a romantic time, or even as we did with having a family vacation. We definitely will stay here again!!

Room Tip: The rooms with the gas fireplace added a very nice touch.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
karenred1010, Manager at Coachman's Inn, A Four Sisters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

What a kind review - thank you! We are glad that you found as well. Yes, we launder everything on site and our housekeepers have been with us an average of 10+ years so they do an excellent job. We look forward to welcoming you back, and thank you for spreading the word.

Kindly,
Karen
Manager

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights this past weekend of 3/16/13. -Wish we could have stayed longer...Since it was a first for me and my family to be staying in an Inn, I wasn't expecting much. But as soon as we arrived and opened the door to our room, I was glad I chose the Coachman's Inn. The room was spacious, clean and well supplied with the basic necessities to make your stay comfortable. You also get to enjoy their spa/sauna privately as there's only 1 key and you have to reserve your time of use. Privacy! The breakfast was delivered at the exact time you requested. My kids got so excited seeing the 2 baskets of "goodies" for their morning meal. The staff are all so nice and the cider & cookies they serve at 5pm was a welcome treat. The place is in the heart of Carmel and steps away from all the shops. ...It's only been 2 days since we left Carmel and we already miss our room at the Coachman's Inn. We would definitely be back (my kids are already asking to be back next month!)!! And we've actually recommended the place to our friends already! It's pricey, but worth it!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your kind comments and please do come back to see us again soon! Keep in mind that we do run specials throughout the year and that weekday stays are a great value!

Kindly,