“Cute and Comfortable Inn”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Monte Verde Inn

Monte Verde Inn
Ranked #19 of 26 Carmel B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Cute and Comfortable Inn”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

This inn features rooms that are on the smaller side, but extremely cozy. The country style decor and the in-room fire places give Monte Verde a great feel. The inn hosts a wine and cheese hour with live music during the weekend which is beautiful way to spend the early evening. In addition, the free in room breakfast is a cute bonus feature.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alana W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
San Jose, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

We were able to stay here through Groupon and the manager was kind enough to extend the time period for me since that was the only weekend I could make it. Very hospitable staff, the room was small but very pretty (love the colors on the bed) and everything worked. The water pressure wasn't very strong in the shower. We thought the breakfast was more than enough - especially lots of fruit that was very nigh quality. I had no issue with noise and slept well. The wine was very good. I didn't have a dog with me but think it's great that it is dog friendly. We would return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank snookie13
Northern California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

The service upon check in was adequate and the location is absolutely perfect. It is set right off the main road exactly halfway to the beach and halfway to the beginning of the town. The room we stayed in the room 8 and for the price it was good enough, however I was glad I did not bring the dog because there would literally be no where for him to sleep and he's a chihuahua. The bathroom was super tiny as well (see pictures) and the fan was super loud. The electric fireplace was broken when we arrived which they did offer to fix, but the maintenance came at a bad time so we declined. Room 8 also faces the back seating area so you can hear when people are out there. Also the people above us were easily heard as well. I have no idea what they were doing but it seemed that all they did was walk around the room in the early hours of the morning and the late hours of the night .It did not bother me too much, however I could see it being incredibly annoying to others.

The breakfast was a super sweet pastry, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, and a piece of fruit. It was adequate enough to hold you over until you found a real breakfast/brunch place. The parking is extremely tight. We opted to park down the street since it was difficult to get out of the parking spaces. The manager's reception on the weekends was nice enough. There was cheese and meats as well as dips and chips. Like others I would also describe this place as quaint and since I got a good deal it was definitely worth it. I would not pay peak prices though. If there was a good deal I would go back only because the staff is friendly enough and the location is unbeatable.

Room Tip: Room 8 faces the back porch and directly under another room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mina102
Grass valley
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

I would like to say that the staff here was extremely nice and helpful. The rooms were also decorated nicely and very clean. But I have a few complaints. We were put in the number 9 room and it was very small. The bathroom was almost half the size of the whole room! There was hardly any room between the bed and the wall. So we asked the staff to move us to a new room and they did. This room was bigger but you literally could hear everything! The window and walls were very thin so all the noise came right in to our room. It sounded like everything was happing right next to us. Again, we told the staff and they moved us. Unfortunately, this room was not any better in regards to the sound. I was woken up around 10:30 to my neighbors having sex! That continued for most of the night! If that wasn't enough the bed was very hard and uncomfortable. Because of these reasons I would not stay here again.

I wrote this review because these room are not cheap and I would want to know this before booking a room here.

• Stayed April 2013
5 Thank Brittany M
Sacramento
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend, we had bought the groupon for a two night stay. Like everyone says, you can't ask for a better location. It's a gorgeous area and you can walk to the beach and some of the best restaurants in town.

The service was also very good. The woman at the front desk was very nice and the wine and cheese hour is a great touch. We went hiking in big sur and I have bad knees. My husband asked for a bag of ice so I could ice my knees, and she was very sweet bringing two bags, one for each knee.

The reviewer who complained about the size of breakfast must have a very big appetite. We thought it was great, especially the first day. They give you two pastries from Paris bakery, and my husband was in love with the quiche, very good. They also give you lots of fruit, yogurt, and a hard boiled egg. Beware of that egg though, I bit into mine and there was a solid layer of green around the yolk. The next morning I cut it first and it was still green, pretty nasty. But everything else was good, and we had extra fruit for the hike.

The biggest con is the bed, and at a "bed and breakfast," you'd think it would be much better. Our backs were very sore after the weekend and it was ridiculously squeaky! It would be so easy to buy a mattress pad and make it softer, it's so hard. The walls are thin which we saw from other reviews so we were prepared for that, but it definitely leaves no room for privacy.

I want to rate this place higher because of the service, but it really is not worth the full price. The groupon rate was perfect and what I would see being appropriate for the quality. If you come to Carmel I'd recommend splurge a little bit more and stay somewhere nearby.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Kate R
pittsburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

I do not write reviews unless: 1) I feel the need to warn travelers to avoid someplace really bad, or 2) I want to rave about someplace really special. Our two night stay at the Monte Verde Inn at the conclusion of a very enjoyable week's vacation was the 'icing on the cake' for us. Pick your adjectives: charming, intimate, quaint....all good. Our hostess was a delightful young lady who, upon our arrival, personally escorted us to our courtyard, dutch-door room, and poured us two glasses of wine to enjoy while we unwound from our drive from Sonoma. She genuinely enjoyed providing us with her insights about the neighborhood and the community, and she was very appreciative of our enthusiastic feedback. (I should also mention the young man behind the desk the following day - he directed us to a 'secret' beach in Big Sur that was right up there with the best I have ever seen [including Hawaii, Costa del Sol in Spain, the Carribean.])
If you want a big luxurious hotel with all the amenities, go somewhere else. If you want a very charming little place tucked in a very nice neighborhood setting ...(in Carmel for Gosh Sakes!) , the Monte Verde will do very nicely.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jim w
Drammen, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

We arrived late on a sunday and luckely we found this Inn and they had one room left. The room is very romantic and staff very helpfull. Free parking, breakfast (in the room!) and Internett also included. Along with great tips to eat and see around in Carmel.

We loved it and will recommend this place to everyone!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple