“Disgusting room with a convient location”
Review of Monte Verde Inn

Monte Verde Inn
Ranked #19 of 26 Carmel B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Disgusting room with a convient location”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

There one undisbutable factor about this place--location. It is located very close to the beach and in the heart of Carmel by the sea. I hate writing reviews but compelled to do so by the rude staff and the nastiness of the room.

So I got there right on time to check-in thinking that after a long days in the city I would be checked in and relaxed before 4pm. Wrong... I had to wait 20 minutes to get checked in because the lady wanted "Check in a larger group first to get the traffic moving". I felt discriminated because I was checking in solo. She then asked me to stay outside until she was ready to check me in because I was "crowding" the small check in area--I'm sorry, it is my fault that you guys are artichectual retards?

Then I finally get to the room, hoping to try their home made wine or juice they offer. It was VERY apparent the glasses had been used and uncleaned. Do I really drink an upcapped brown urine color liquid after that? I think not. The carpet looked like it had not been vacummed in YEARS. It was discolored and smelly---how do I know the carpet was smelly? because I tried to do some situps before going to bed and was disgusted. I'm sure I puked a little in my mouth.

I travel frequently and spend a lot of time away from my house, so I expect to smell clean sheets when I check into hotels to remind me of my own bed. I like the new sheet smell--you know, the freshly washed sheet smell which naturally suggests that the sheets have been washed and cleaned. No... I was wrong again. I actually wrapped the pillow with my workout t-shirt from my significant other on the pillow before I let my skin touch the darn thing. The bathroom was quiet gross too. The fixtures were old and gross, not out-dated--which was expected, but just looked gross. I am NOT germaphobic at all. We camp out and stay out in the woods during summer time, I run in the mud and do not mind getting dirty or even staying in a small huts in South America. But really, this place for the price they charge is outrageous.

Now to check out. I walk in to check out and it was a different lady there. She proceeds to ask me how my stay was. Even before I provided a response, she smiles and says "oh wonderful, that's great" Really?

So I rate this place as poor due to their crappy service and their rooms. However, it is a short walk to the beach and the coffee shop. If you are ok with rude front desk, bringing your own sleeping bags and body sanitizers, stinky carpet, oh and more rude staff.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
7 Thank crazyboutizz
Carmel-Inn-Keepers, General Manager at Monte Verde Inn, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Mr. "Grazyboutizz":

Thank you for your review.
Such reviews as yours do keep us on our toes.

First and foermost my sincerest apology that you had such a horrible experience.
We understand that our guests are traveling and some from far away distances and completely respect the fact that our guests are coming to Carmel to relax and unwind. For you to stand on our "front porch" and wait to be checked in is unacceptable. Please be assured that this will be discussed with all front desk agents.

I would like to address each of your complaints in detail. However, I find your issues comical to say the least and and completely untrue.
Each of my front desk agents have worked in the hospitality industry for years. We ALL love our job and find each of our traveling friends delightful and a joy to meet and host while they stay in Carmel.
I do understand that any employee will have a bad day and for this I send my apologies. But I will stand behind all of my agents and disput your claims of a "solo" traveler discrimination. I will also dispute your claims that a front desk agent would tell you that you are crowding the front lobby. We welcome a crowd in our front lobby as we maintain a relaxed and inviting atmosphere with music, wine, coffee & tea. We encourage our guests to chat with us and to enjoy our hospitality.
Another issue that you brought up was the cleanliness of our rooms. Our sheets were unwashed and uncleaned? I would dispute this as well. Our reputation stands on the cleanliness of the rooms. Our policy for all arrivals is to change and lay out freshly clean linens including sheets, blankets, shams, pillow cases and towels. When our guests stay over for multiple days, we change the bed linens every 2 days (More than most people do at home) we provide clean towels daily.
Our floors and bathrooms and floors are cleaned meticulously everyday.

Now to address our homemade wine. We do not have homemade wine or juice.
We currently are hosting a wonderful wine from the local region with 30 years experience in wines. All wines are presented to our guests in the original, labeled bottles that most wines come in. We do however, have in crystal decanters, with heavy crystal glass toppers a favorite cream sherry in all of our guest rooms. We do provide tasting glasses for our guests. These glasses are cleaned and steamed for your safety daily.

Mr. "Grazyboutizz",
I would invite you to read all of our previous reviews prior to yours. Also note that we are in the top 10 as one of Carmels best B&Bs. We did not get here with rude customer service and filthy rooms.
And last but not least Mr. "Grazyboutizz, I checked you out on the day of your departure if I in any way made you feel brushed off please accept my apology.
As the General Manager of the Monte Verde Inn / Casa de Carmel I invite you to give me a call to discuss in length your dissatifcation.

Leora Sanchez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I stayed at the MVI for two nights as a birthday treat. I was looking for a place on Trip Advisor and saw MVI's winter special which I felt was a terrific deal. I was in MV-9 and loved the room. Queen size bed with a decent-sized bathroom, fireplace and nice hardwood floors. From what I could tell, other rooms had a dingy green carpet so I was very pleased with the hardwood floors. Closet space is limited but for two nights, was fine. The room was set back from the street which was nice and quiet. I didn't have any issues with parking, as I left the car in the Inn parking lot and walked everywhere. It's very close to the core of downtown Carmel and a pleasant walk down to the beach.

Everyone at the front desk was very friendly and accommodating. I will definitely stay here again (in MV-9) and will recommend the Monte Verde Inn to others.

Room Tip: MV-9 is set back from the street and has hardwood floors. Loved the room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Lauren B
Ventura, California, United States
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Front desk was very helpful and accommodating, Parking is an issue, limited parking and the whole CIty has 2 hour parking, so get there early and secure an of street parking spot.room was nice, Fire place was a great feature and in room wine was a nice treat. short walk to the beach, shorter walk to restaurants, and shops, great location, central to downtown.

Room Tip: MV-5 has a fireplace and is right next to front office.
3 Thank Kevin C
San Francisco, California
Reviewed February 15, 2013

positives:
*good location, it's nearby the shops in carmel
*got us a deal for winter rates: chateau julienne wine + $25 voucher at "village corner" restaurant upon arrival
*office was really small + cute; you may take some fruits and tea, biscottis (although the front desk didn't offer you i assume it's for guests and they didn't say anything when i took it :D)
*room was cute, small, clean and nice. I'm not sure if cute means good to everyone, but I feel cozy in the room. It's quite romantic
*The bathroom size was quite okay, not too big, not too small
*amenities: gilchrist & soames face/ cleanse soaps/shampoo/showergel, bath salt, shower cap, body lotion, 2 bathrobes, some cloths especially for cleansing ladies' makeup, good amount of extra towels and 2 bathmat, 2 bottles of drinking water in the fridge (you can always ask the front desk if you need more water later but the front desk is close at night so you want to ask them before they close), coffeemaker, coffee(reg & decaf), extra blankets & pillow in the wardrobe area, 2 small mint chocolates, 2 wine glasses, 1 alcoholic beverage also provided in the crystal square decanter (i didn't drink it though because I'm not an alcoholic), blow-dryer, slim TV, electric firework that works like a heater that can change color when we set it up like that.
*Bed is clean and cozy. I could sleep easily on a queen size bed for 2 peeps
*They deliver & knock on your door around 8.30am for Breakfast: 2 hard-boiled eggs, 2 apples, 2 activia yogurts, & some pastries/quiche in the bag. If you're a vegan, you can only eat apples which is quite ok for a lil' bit, but it's not a fulfilling breakfast for vegan peeps.
*parking: they have small space on the side where the guests can park the car
*they have sitting area where your family can sit down together have some quality time together with firework & coal is provided there

negatives:
*the front desk should offer us some welcome drink or tea/coffee. Instead they just checked us in. People cm from far away to carmel; I was hoping they would be more comforting to the guests that just arrive. I don't think they're impolite or anything, it's just they need to be better i suppose. The front desk people are just alright, they should be more attentive though. I guess I just expect better to give a 5*.
*the wall is too thin, so sometimes you can pretty much hear in mumble what other people are saying in the other room and you can even hear their steps too
*amenities: i stayed here for a couple of nights & the housekeeping provide the amenities differently everyday. It's just 1 day i have bath salt, and the next day i don't. 1 day i have 2 body lotions, the next day not. 1st day i have shower cap, the next day they don't give me a new one. The housekeeping at least have to maintain giving each day the same amenities
*housekeeper: they should not put the vacuum cleaner on the way path where people are going to walk especially the path is so small. They should not put any bags/trashbag whatever in the way path of walking. When they do, it's just look careless & not thoughtful at all; especially the space in this Inn is so small.
*Breakfast: we requests to get more fruit for my breakfast a couple of days before (over the phone when we booked this hotel deal) , but all i got was just the apples, not even orange or pear or anything else. They have orange & pears in the front desk area. Again, I expected more "attention" in really fulfilling the guests' requests. I believe they have a couple of people working in the front desk, but they just don't communicate to each other / leave any note of guest's request. So I would definitely highlight the attentiveness of the front desk is not maximum enough to give me a 5*
*They only have 1 small desk next to my partner to put my glass wine/anything else. They should put one more night desk next to me so that it's convenient to both sides

Overall, it was nice to live in MonteVerdeInn, i will recommend people to stay here & i hope they will fix all the things i've mentioned in here that are (-)s to be (+)s & all 5 * from me in the future.

1 Thank mscuteness
Hayward, california
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I just spent three nights at the beautiful Monte Verde Inn. I was there on a site inspection for our company's VIP guests. I work with a DNC in San Francisco and have traveled the western states visiting Hotels, B and B's and there have been plenty I have been to that would not be worth a half a star. BUT the Monte Verde inn I can easily say get's on a scale of 1 to 10 easily a 10 with no doubt.

The hospitality the clean and beautiful accomodations the location and the pricing is unbeatable. Leora Sanchez is the General Manager and she treats this as if it were her own home. The guests adore her and her staff. If your going down to Carmel don't think twice. Give Leora and her staff a call you will not be sorry. Thank you Leora and staff for making my trip an enjoyable one.

William Silveria

Travelroads

Room Tip: Room 5 on the casa Carmel side is nice and large. And the Lodge suite will blow you away. with it...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank willy550us
San Mateo CA
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I bought this stay on a Travelzoo promotion and was not reaqlly expecting much. I know the town pretty well and could tell the location was just what my wife (picky) and I wanted so I went ahead and pulled the trigger.

I was not let down!

Let me begin with the negatives and get them out of the way. Our room (#1) was very small and right off of the lobby. They warned me it was small so that was no problem but the lobby location looked like it was going to be an issue. It was to a degree but since it is such a small place they locked up early and the only time there was any noise was during the day when my wife was reading. Other then that it just was not a problem. Thebed was not my cup of tea either but that is so much of an individual preference I hesitate to bring it up.

The room was "cozy" and had a fireplace, robes and a decanter of sherry along with coffee for the morning. Speaking of morning, instead of a "sit down" breakfast like some B&Bs, they bring a basket to your room each morning. Ours contained yogurt, fresh fruit (4 apples!), fresh pastries for a local bakery, juice and all the utensils you might need. It was really nice.

The place was clean and had a "hint" of upscale with robes and the things I have already mentioned.

Here's what set it aside. Service and location. The folks who worked here were universally wonderful. In particular Ali really worked at making our stay nice. He had suggested a restaurant to us that we REALLY wanted to go to. It was packed, reservations were filled and we were quite disappointed after walking past it and seeing how much fun it looked like it was going to be. Ali did not just make one call....he made several and low and behold they got us in at 7pm on a Saturday night. It was the highlight of our weekend and we just would not have been able to do it without Ali's persistence.

So...the bottom line? Clean, wonderful location near the village, priced right and first class service.

2 Thank conlopez
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I had planned our trip to Carmel as a surprise for my boyfriend and from my email to confirm our booking (I had booked a couple of months in advance, online, so thought it would be smart to confirm nearer our arrival), I was impressed. I was emailed back immediately and they included a "we hope your boyfriend enjoys the surprise" (I had mentioned in my original booking that it was a gift for him).

Upon arrival we were greeted with appetizers and glasses of wine, a map, all sorts of helpful information / recommendations, and an offer to put a log on the fire if we felt like relaxing in the back courtyard once we'd dropped off our bags (which we did).

The room was small but charming, tastefully decorated, clean, and an electric fire was already running when we walked in (the bed was also very comfortable!)

Each morning we received a breakfast basket; hard boiled eggs, fruit, yogurt, fresh pastries and juice - loved that!

A block up Ocean at the Carmel Coffee Roasting Company is a great place to get a latté (though there's also a coffee maker in the room), and a couple of blocks down Ocean and you're on the beach.

I'd strongly recommend this place to anyone looking for a budget conscious, romantic vacation in a beautiful town! I'd love to go back, as would my boyfriend!

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank Rebecca C
Carmel-Inn-Keepers, General Manager at Monte Verde Inn, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review!
Most importantly, I'm very happy to hear that you and your boyfriend had a fantastic time!
As a traveler myself I'm very keen on fine detail and I sincerely appreciate your warmth for detail and the special touches. As the Manager of the Monte Verde Inn, I truely consider our guests my friends. While I did not get a chance to meet you on this trip, I'm sure our paths will cross again.
All the best to you!