“Not what we paid for / Lack of Accountability”
Review of Adobe Inn

Adobe Inn
Ranked #16 of 25 Carmel B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 4, 2011

I wish I had read some of the negative reviews before my boyfriend and I decided to stay here. First off, they charge you ahead of time before you even get there. We decided to splurge and get the king size room with the fireplace and balcony. Apparently, the room's fireplace was not working at hadn't been working all week. This was confirmed only AFTER we had checked in and got settled into the room.

I asked why no one had told us about this ahead a time. (At least we could have decided if we wanted to stay and pay for a room with a broken fireplace or find other accommodations.) It was too late to race around town and find alternate accommodations, so we stayed. Plus, we had already been charged and it was non-refundable. I asked if we could get a portion of our money back - since we paid extra for a room with a non-working fireplace. We were not given a discount. I asked to speak with the manager. No luck there either. While my boyfriend and I were still staying there, I kept asking for resolution. I requested a call back from the manager during and after our stay. No one has called back. I've called them back several times since - the manager is either on his day off, coming in late, or at "lunch". Obviously they are just hoping we tire ourselves out and give up. (And as I write this, I must say I can't muster the energy to call back and get the next lame excuse.)

We were so disappointed - as we were really looking forward to a romantic little getaway. The fireplace situation was very disappointing, but the part that really upset me the most was their false advertising, unwillingness to make a wrong situation right, and complete lack of concern for the entire matter. DON'T STAY HERE!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
10  Thank WeekendWarrior_2011

Reviewed March 30, 2011

I have never written a review but this hotel just needs to be acknowledged. It looks like no where I would stop but inside and it's location are the best I could find for the price in Carmel near the downtown. The room was very clean, LARGE, and beautifully decorated. It had a fireplace, breakfast brought to our room on a pretty set tray, Starbucks coffee to make in the room (alot of it too). view of the ocean, and a bed that was comfortable with nice sheets and pillows. We sat on the little loveseat in the morning in front of the fire and ate our breakfast. It couldn't get any better than this and the price was the same as other hotels/inns that didn't offer as much. The front staff was amazing and so willing to show us rooms until we were satisfied. So I highly recommend room #24 as that is the one I am bragging about. The staff told us about the happy hour right next door and that was great too!!! The location was amazing as it was just a few blocks to Ocean St. and filled with shops along the way.

Room Tip: Look at the rooms and pick the one you want.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank honest71
Reviewed January 31, 2011

When booking online, they want one nights deposit. When you go to check in, they charge you your complete stay (we were there 4 nights) at one time - sight unseen. We paid up front, stayed one night, and wanted to get the rest of our money back - no way- said it was their policy. We left anyway and stayed in a place costing $10.00 more/night that had a fireplace, living room, wet bar, bedroom, and two full baths, one with a jacuzzi tub. The rooms are old and outdated. The balcony had rusted rod iron completely through, view of high tension wires and the sea in the distance. The beds were very old and smelled of mildew. Beware.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank sharli6
Reviewed January 16, 2011

We stayed 2 nights at the Adobe Inn. We enjoyed the continental breakfast delivered to our door each morning. It included your choice of cereal, muffin, fruit, and juices. The items were fresh and tasty. Add some in-room Starbuck's coffee and it is a good start to your day. Our room was clean and comfortable. The bedroom area was spacious and the beds comfortable. The only drawbacks were a lack of lighting in the room. The only light in the room was one table lamp between the beds, a light over the coffee bar, and a small light by the door. There was no lighting for the lovely 2 leather chairs, so in the evening, these chairs were dark and unusable. We were in room #39, which is surrounded by exterior walkways. Both mornings, I swear someone was bouncing a ball against the outside wall of our room. In the evening, we were annoyed by the constant rolling of carts and other noise from the restaurant down stairs. If I stayed here again, I would request a room away from the restaurant. This Inn is close to Ocean Ave. and all the shops and restaurants Carmel has to offer. Underground parking is included, which is a big plus in Carmel.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 10, 2010

I searched and searched for the right hotel to stay at during our time in Carmel. I travel a lot, so tend to be a little bit pickier with where I stay. This place did not disappoint!! Glad we chose at the Adobe Inn. We stayed in a newly remodeled King Corner Ocean. Loved the fireplace and comfy leather chairs, quiet setting made for a great sleep!! Easy off street parking. The robes could have been a little plusher, but that's our only complaint. The room was so cozy and within walking distance of all the shops and restaurants. Speaking of food, we had amazing meals at Little Napoli (garlic bread, grilled artichoke and osso busco ravioli) as well as Dametra Cafe - be sure to make a reservation. Really enjoyed sunsets on the beach, Point Lobos State Park, Monterey Aquarium, Hwy 1, etc, etc. Enjoy!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 8, 2010

We stayed at The Adobe Inn for our Wedding Anniversary(October 2010). I called to make the reservations under a AAA discount,this was honored.
There are 2 floors to this Inn, accessible by the elevator in the parking garage or on the 1st floor or the 2nd floor. We were in room 33 which faces Dolores(this was a King Village View). Nice balcony with 2 chairs and a table and fresh flowers in the planter boxes.
The bathroom had oatmeal soap,body lotion, and conditioning shampoo all by O2 Oxygen by Emporium Inc. A hair dryer was in the very spacious closet.
The bathroom included a combo tub/shower with a heat lamp timer.
In the closet were 4 wooden hangers and 2 padded ones that held 2 terry cloth robes with Adobe Inn embroidered on them.
The TV cabinet in the bedroom area was awkwardly placed,but perfect if you sat in either of the 2 leather chairs. This TV was an RCA regular TV;not flat screened and did not have a sleep timer in which I could find. A DVD player was also in the TV cabinet.
The parking is complimentary with a tag placed on your dashboard.(this is great as parking on the street in Carmel is I believe only 2 hrs at peak times)
The complimentary continental breakfast is delivered to your room on a silver tray at 8:30am to 9:00 am, 9:00am to 9:30am, or 9:30am to 10am. The choices are selected via a hang tag that you put out on your door knob by 9pm. The choices are fresh muffin,instant oatmeal,corn flakes, granola with low fat milk or non fat milk,piece of fresh fruit,orange or apple juice,low fat or nonfat milk. A coffee maker with Starbucks coffee is in the room as well as a bar sink with refrigerator below.
The fireplace works with a flip of the switch and kept the room cozy. There is baseboard heat but no A/C. A fan was in the closet on the shelf.
We utilized the complimentary wireless internet in the room.
A 1 night deposit was taken at the time of the reservation.
The outdoor pool looked nice but the weather was a little too cool out for us to go in.
Very friendly staff.
There is a restaurant on premise,but we did not try it.
I would stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2010

The Trip:
Anniversary trip with husband - October 29th thru October 31st. Paid $180+tax per night. Tip: Since we had narrowed down our hotel options down to 5, we called the night before we left and decided that the best rate would win our stay! We got a last minute special off our room. It was originally at $215 per night room (I think)... so we saved some money this way. Also many hotels offer AAA discounts, etc.

The Room:
We stayed in room #37 "Horizon View King Room w/Fireplace". Decor was nice... updated... not "grandma" like most other inns we looked at. Nice bedding, soft feather pillows, leather sitting chairs, gas fireplace, high ceilings, lots of room (corner room in building). The balcony was "L" shape... very large, although we rarely used it... only to check the weather...haha. The "horizon ocean view" is a peak through the trees, but in Carmel, there is hardly an Inn with full ocean views. The bathroom wasn't anything special... typical hotel bathroom. Toilet & tub/shower combo in one room... vanity outside. Vanity was nice... lots of room, big mirror. Closet had 2 robes... typical terry cloth robes..not too "plush". The was a little "bar" which held a sink and coffee pot with mini fridge below. Provided Starbucks coffee for machine. TV was a tub TV in cabinet... had DVD player which was nice...we watched a few movies.

Hotel offerings and details:
The hotel lobby is small, but who cares... unless your planning on hanging out in the lobby. Had check-in desk... information brochures, etc. 2 chairs and fireplace.
The parking is nice. They have an underground parking a garage with elevator (& stairs) that take you up to main floor and 2nd floor of inn.
The grounds of Inn aren't anything spectacular, but nice... lots of greenery, flowering plants (even in late October), etc. Location was great... on a main street with restaurants and 1 block from Ocean Ave. which was the 'main drag'

Continental breakfast... kind of like ordering breakfast on a cruise (if you've been on one) long card you hang outside your door handle at night once you've filled out. Basic options... oatmeal, corn flakes, fruit, 2 types of muffin offered (triple-berry... AMAZING... and pumpkin spice), juice, milk, etc. It was good enough for us. ohh no coffee french press like on website (for all those coffee fans out there.... bring your own).

Overall Thoughts:
While in Carmel, my husband and I visited some other inns in the area and ones we were debating between in making our selection. We visited & looked at an actual room at: Carmel Fireplace Inn, Cobblestone Inn, and the a few of the "inns by the sea" : Candlelight Inn, Dolphin Inn & Svendsgaard's Inn. I've reviewed each on their own page and posted pictures of the rooms we saw. Fireplace inn, Candlelight Inn, Dolphin Inn & Svendsgaard's Inn are all either next to each other or across the street from each other (along with the Briarwood Inn (which is owned by the same people as the Fireplace Inn).

I still felt after seeing all of these that our room at the Adobe Inn was the best room. My opinion.

Feel free to ask any questions if you have them... our trip is fresh on my mind! We had a wonderful time in Carmel. Cute town... great for an anniversary trip... quiet, quaint and charming.

** Photos I'm uploading. Trip Advisor only lets you upload 3 photos per post, so I'm posting several so I can show you more photos **

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple