All reviewspicnic basketbreakfast basketeach morninghot tubpastrieswithin walking distancecomfortable bedorange juiceyour doorstepstaff was helpful and friendlyfridge and microwavesmall balconyshops and restaurantsfew blocksgreat place to stayquiet locationking room
Reviewed December 2, 2008

We just got back from 2 nights at the Horizon Inn. The staff is warm and welcoming. The rooms are adequate and clean. We stayed in Carmel a few months ago and got a much better deal for a nicer room at the La Playa hotel. The beds at the Horizon are extremely uncomfortable-we tossed and turned. For the price of the room we were hoping for at least a good nights rest.

We do plan on going back to Carmel hopefully soon-we love the town!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Horizon in for 2 days in July after attending a friend's wedding in Los Gatos.

Several of the places I had initially contacted were booked, so I then came across the Horizon Inn. It was very clean and comfortable, located within walking distance of the town with many shops and restaurants.

The breakfast basket brought to the room each morning was fine..nothing fancy, but we were not looking for a big breakfast each morning.. The bathrooms seem newly renovated... Our room had a cozy gas fireplace, and we had a view of the ocean from our terrace..

The bottom line is this... The Horizon Inn was a clean, comfortable place to stay in Carmel... it's not fancy, so if you are looking for that, look elsewhere...

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 6, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Ocean View Lodge for our 27th wedding anniversary. We checked on on May 3 and left on May 5. I can say nothing more than it was great. You have to check in at the Horizon Inn and the gentleman was very nice and polite. He explained the room had a jacuzzi and fireplace and a king size bed. He further explained the fireplace would be cleaned everyday and restocked with wood. Now my wife and I have stayed at other places with a fireplace and they have all been gas. When we opened the door to our room 202 we immediately noticed that the fireplace was already been prepared for us to start a fire with wood. They had wood in the fireplace with newspaper ready. There was a a stack of wood next to the fireplace for us to burn during the night if we wanted. The jacuzzi was great it was large enough for me and my wife comfortably. Let me say it was nice to be able to have a fire going and then get into the jacuzzi after walking along the streets of Carmel checking out the shops. Then the king size bed was like sleeping on a cloud. The mattress was very soft and comfortable the comforters over the bed were thick and soft. The entire room was great.

I have to say after reading other reviews and reading that some did not care for the basket of fruit and pastries that was left on the door step every morning I have to totally disagree with their comments. They said that the pastries were dry and the milk and juice were usually warm. I can say our basket had fresh fruit, 2 pastries that were warm and soft both days, and the milk and juices were always cold. Also, in the basket was the paper. It was really nice to have that fruit and pastry first thing in the morning.

In closing I will have to say we will definitely be staying there again. In fact we may be staying there for all our anniversaries. The room was cozy and the atmosphere of the room was very romantic. It was really nice to stay there with the person you love and just be together and have fun and do what you want to do. I would say this would be a great place for a honeymoon or just being alone with your spouse or that special person.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 30, 2008

We had a wonderful stay at the Horizon Inn! The staff very accomidating and friendly. Rooms are nice and clean. The breakfast basket was a good start in the morning. Within walking distance to shops and food.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 27, 2008

We stayed at this hotel last weekend at room 202. Even though this was a last minute booking because other hotels have no vacancies, we were very pleasantly surprised by how nice the experience was. We arrived around noon instead of 3 pm, but the friendly front desk checked us in anyway. The room is actually a suite with a large living room and wood-burning fireplace and a small kitchen. The bedroom and bathroom are very clean. We took full advantage of the fireplace for the chilly night and loved the fresh pinewood smell! Breakfast was adquate, I even loved the pastries! What I also liked about this place is that is relatively quite because it's only one floor, and the bed is very comfortable. We had actually sleeped very well unlike in other hotels.
It's a bit of a walk to the beach, 7-8 blocks, but we enjoyed the walking after great meals in town. Overall I would rate the experience as great, and would definitely come back again!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family