“Amazing value with an Ocean View”

and 1 more site!
Horizon Inn & Ocean View Lodge
Ranked #9 of 25 Carmel B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 14, 2011

My husband and I often come to Carmel and last time we booked a room at the Horizon Inn. We were upgraded to a partial ocean view and was amazed! Most places would call that a full ocean view. Since the Inn is up the hill a bit, one of the advantages is that you can see the ocean off the private and beautiful balconies in the rooms. The bed and bedding was soft and so comfy. We took a dip in the lovely tiled spa and found the service to be delightful.
We booked using the sites last minute deals and boy did we get a great one! Horizon is perfect for the money and we throughly enjoyed staying here- we will stay again soon I am sure.
The hotel is about a 5 or so minute walk from the center of downtown but not bad at all. My husband and I enjoyed walking off our dinner and did not find it to be strenuous at all.
Again- perfect for what we were looking for and will stay again!

• Stayed: June 2011
6  Thank Travel906

Reviewed July 2, 2011

My husband I just returned from a week in Carmel where we stayed at the Horizon Inn, room 115. I was nervous about the ocean view based on some other reviews complaining about the rooftops but it was wonderful. Yes, there were rooftops between us and the ocean but the hotel is uphill enough to provide a great view overall. I think people fail to realize that there aren't hotels right on the beach in Carmel, only private residences. The room was small but like everything else in Carmel, they make the most out of a small space. The jacuzzi tub was right next to the fireplace, which was great and there was plenty of room for all our belongings with a deep dresser and closet space.

We interacted with both the day and evening office staff and everyone was extremely friendly and very helpful. I read some complaints about the breakfast baskets but we thought it was perfect. The picnic basket arrived like clockwork every morning by 7:30 with pastries, cereal, milk, orange juice and fresh fruit. Since we were there several days, they provided something a little different each day. It was just right for starting the day and kept us from needing to dine until early dinner. The hotel also kept us supplied with coffee, tea, cream and sugar so we never ran out. We picked up a few extra goodies to keep in the fridge and the kitchenette was just right for our needs.

I do agree with others that if you have trouble walking uphill, you might want to stay at a lower location. It's about 4 steep blocks to Ocean Ave for shopping and dining. We were fine with it and actually needed to walk off all the great food every night but I can see where some might have an issue with it. Hotels located lower down the hill won't have an ocean view though so it's a definite trade off. Also, this hotel was so quiet that sometimes it actually felt like we were the only ones there, even though we could clearly see they were booked. Very nice. And laundry right down stairs, another plus. Our room was listed as being ground floor so I assumed we would have another room above us but that's not the case. No one above or below. Perfect. Wifi worked great in the room and free parking right inside the courtyard was perfect. Jacuzzi and outside fire seating area were available too but we ended up running out of time.

Oh and we also had a beautiful big flat screen tv in our room, even though we rarely turned it on. Several great bistros were open late so we rarely made it back to our room early enough to watch tv. One place we stumbled upon that probably ranks as the best night of our trip was Bistro Beaujolais. It's tucked away so you might ask the front desk how to get there but it was amazing. Great food, gourmet dessert and fantastic wine but the best part was the courtyard with a large fire pit and live music. Along with several other couples we spent the entire evening drinking coffee and wine, listening to Mark Banks play while enjoying the fire and good company. We were so lucky to find that place.
A.W. Shucks is another recommend. Best clam chowder and fish & chips. Alex the bartender there was full of great information about places to see in the area.

Hope this helps. I would definitely stay at the Horizon Inn again and after just returning home, we both miss Carmel already!

Room Tip: Room 115 or the one adjoining it (116?)...perfect.
5  Thank Tauriann
Management response:Responded July 8, 2011

Thank you for all the lovely suggestions and tips for staying in Carmel. We certainly appreciate the fact that you let others know how much you enjoyed your stay at the Horizon Inn. Next time you are in town you must try our newest Italian restaurant, Vesuvio, just 3 blocks from our inn. It has a very unique roof top lounge complete with heat lamps and fire pits. It is our goal to make every visit to our Carmel property one you hate to see end.

Reviewed June 27, 2011

My husband and I decided to splurge a bit on a hotel in Carmel, CA on our trip to the area. We decided to stay two nights and really enjoy the area, and the Horizon Inn had received excellent reviews on TripAdvisor. We reserved a king-room with a balcony overlooking Carmel Bay, and it also had a fireplace and small kitchenette. The hotel was also conveniently located near all shops and restaurants in Carmel; however, if you have trouble walking or up hill, you may wish to stay closer to town. Carmel is a hilly town, so navigating hills is a necessity when staying here. Our room was very comfortable, and I loved the gas fireplace and balcony overlooking the bay. In the morning between 7:15-7:30, they bring a basket of breakfast items for each room. They do not knock on the door...they just leave it at the door...I just happened to wake at 7:30, so I brought the basket in the room. My husband and I didn't enjoy it until later when we got up. Ended up having breakfast in bed with fruit, cereal, juice and pastries. Parking is at a premium in Carmel, and parking is included at the Horizon Inn. The staff is pleasant and helpful, and there are laundry facilities close by. All in all a great stay and location.

Management response:Responded July 1, 2011

Wow! More great photos. We really appreciate that guests take the time to document their stay and share their experience. I always tell our guests that "Yes, we are on a hill but Carmel is a walking town and what better way to work up an appetite or work off a gourmet meal!" I'm glad you didn't let the 4 blocks to Ocean Avenue detour your choice to stay at the Horizon Inn.

Reviewed June 19, 2011

We just came back from a weekend getaway to Carmel. We stayed at Horizon Inn/Annex property for two nights and definitely recommend this place. Here's why:

-Reasonably priced. We found a last minute deal on their website and saved 10%
-Location. Nice walk to downtown and the beach. Everyone complains about the hill but we are from San Francisco, the 'hills' in Carmel are nothing!
-Clean rooms & dog friendly Our room was clean and we had our dog with us. I believe the Annex is reserved for those with dogs; our room did not smell like dog nor could we find any trace or scent that a dog had stayed at our room previously
-Continental breakfast delivered at your door every morning.
-Friendly service
-Free wifi; had to log into work for 30 minutes on our last morning and had no issues with connectivity

The only thing we asked for is to upgrade the tv! It was small and it was really old. The city of Carmel closes at 9 so we spent our nights hanging out in our room and watching tv. I usually don't whine about hotel tvs but there was nowhere to go past 10 pm so I would expect that hotels around in Carmel would have nice tvs or offer movie channels.

Room Tip: Book on the website!
Management response:Responded July 1, 2011

So glad you enjoyed your recent stay at the Annex. I especially like the photo of your 4 legged companion on the balcony enjoying the view! Rest assured I have looked into your comment about the TV's in the annex and agree that a larger screen is needed. We recently upgraded 5 deluxe rooms at the Horizon Inn to flat screens and I have requested that those larger TV's be put into the Annex. As for the channel line up, we get over 90+ channels with the upgraded Comcast service and for Carmel by the Sea that's big news. Thanks for taking the time to write in and send photos.

Reviewed June 3, 2011

We booked a smaller room with two doubles. I worried that it would be too small and tight for our family. The room turned out to be very cozy but with extra room in the kitchen area to have some room away from the others. The beds were so cozy and comfortabe and also warm with the cooler weather. We enjoyed walking a round the village and did not find it difficult to walk walk back. We loved it and would highly recomend this wonderful Inn.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank NancyM12
Reviewed May 30, 2011

We had an enjoyable stay. It was a good walk to downtown but, far enough away to be quiet and relaxing. Loved the breakfast in a basket!!!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CatSi13
Reviewed May 29, 2011

Recently stayed at the Ocean View side. Our promised room(with an ocean view) was being worked on; the room we were given had no view. All old appliances; TV's did not work well. Large rooms, fairly clean. Internet connection is very poor. Very noisy as there is a large fleet of towtrucks on the same block and they run continuosly. Noisy street anyway. 4 blocks to Ocean; however, the trip back is all uphill. There must be better places to stay.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple