All reviewspicnic basketbreakfast basketeach morninghot tubpastrieswithin walking distancecomfortable bedorange juiceyour doorstepstaff was helpful and friendlyfridge and microwavesmall balconyshops and restaurantsfew blocksgreat place to stayquiet locationking room
Reviewed April 21, 2011

My wife and I live in the SF Bay Area and have visited Carmel 2-3 times each year since 1991. Outside of about 5 separate occasions during the past 20 years, approximately 60 visits total, we have always stayed at the Horizon Inn. If you do the math, that's about 50 stays of at least two nights at the Horizon Inn for us. It is truly a home away from home for us.

I have read the negative reviews and the positive ones. Let me give you my obviously biased opinion.

For those that are all freaked out about some reviews about the staff and location, please disregard these reviews. We have always felt very welcome when we arrive at the Horizon Inn. For instance, this past March we were planning on a 4-day weekend along the California coast, 2-nights in Big Sur, 2-nights in Carmel. Unfortunately, Highway 1 was closed north of Big Sur due to a landslide. We did not discover this until we were almost there, it happened after we had left home/work. The Big Sur hotel was nice enough to allow us to cancel our hotel reservation, and Horizon Inn was nice enough to give us an ocean view room AT A DISCOUNT since it was available, on the spot. THAT is customer service.

Also, the hotel is only FOUR BLOCKS from downtown Carmel, about 5-10 minutes walking, depending on where you are going, about 30 minutes if you are going to the beach. So, big deal if you have to walk uphill back to your hotel. Most of us can use the exercise after a filling meal anyway. The fact is you can walk to any number of fine restaurants in the center of town easily, as well as all of the fun shopping during the day.

Being near the top of the hill also allows you a lot of piece and quiet. My wife and I get our best sleep when we go to Carmel and stay here for a long weekend.

Plus, you can't beat the rates and the fact that you get a nice basket breakfast every morning. We usually pass on this for a nice sit down meal, but it is still decent food, and quite a bit of it.

For anyone going to Carmel for the first time, or a return visit, I cannot recommend a better place to stay for the price and location.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 19, 2011

My wife and I took a three day trip from the SF Bay Area to Carmel for golf and dining. The hotel room was just what we were looking for. Great room, good ocean view, balcony, fire place, peace and quiet. Most importantly, a short walk to great restaurants. All in all a great value.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2011

The service and hospitality were fine. The room however was musty smelling. My clothes smelled musty. The rooms need air purifiers!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Management response:Responded March 30, 2011

Thank you for reminding us how important it is to open up windows in rooms that have gone unoccupied for several days. This is especially true when they have been closed to keep out the unusally rainy weather that has plagued the Peninsula for the past several weeks.

Reviewed February 24, 2011

We stayed at the Horizon Inn in February. I have to say I was disappointed. The breakfast in a basket was sorely lacking for a $185.00 room. First morning we had a very boring bagel choice and the second morning about as bad a "sweet-roll' as you'll ever find. And a small bowl of cereal for each of us but only one small carton of milk.No silverware or stir sticks to go with the coffee maker.
I was really annoyed when they did not honor the AAA discount that our daughter asked about when booking the room. Double check your confirmation to this place to be sure you have the correct amount quoted. They will not honor your AAA on check-out.
We stayed here a couple of years ago and found it to be fine, but with lots of other choices in town, closer to the beach and the village we will look elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
Management response:Responded March 2, 2011

We always appreciate feedback on our continental breakfast basket. We have found that the bagels are one of our most requested items and as for the rest of the pastries we serve they are provided fresh daily from a local French bakery. In an effort to satisfy a wide variety of tastes we do make changes daily to our breakfast baskets. As for the request for a AAA discount, it is our hotel policy to honor AAA whenever possible and we make every effort to note those requests on the reservation when made at the time of booking.

Reviewed February 22, 2011

Our Family lives here in Carmel and not all of can stay in the house. The Horizon Inn and Ocean View were great for our family to stay and enjoy Carmel. The staff went out of there way during Christmas to make sure we were happy . We travel with one dog,one two month old baby and one 3 year old,so rooms were very large. That basket to your room was great also for the little person in the morning. Thank you Horizon

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family