“Paradise in Carmel”

Ranked #4 of 26 Carmel B&B and Inns
Rigi Kaltbad, Switzerland
“Paradise in Carmel”
Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

I write this from a room with a view of the ocean, listening to the surf, following breakfast in the center house of this very special and unique lodging. A block from the ocean, and 0.7 mile pleasant walk to the cluster of cafes and shops, this is the best location in Carmel ( well, the best available to a tourist, the residences nearby right on the ocean are amazing). The other reviews accurately describe the numerous pleasant features of this inn, although I think the gardens deserve special praise too. I just wanted to give an example of what others have described as a very pleasant staff that is accommodating. I mentioned at breakfast that I didn't see any non-fat yogurt ( plenty of fruity sugary fructose versions are always available ) . The manager went to the store and brought back terrific plain healthy non-fat yogurt. These folks are the best. There are numerous choices within Carmel, and over several decades we have been to several. This is my third stay here, and I think this is the best.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank TourDeSuisseKen
ColonialTerrace, General Manager at The Colonial Terrace, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear TourDeSuisseken: Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay here at the Colonial Terrace. I am very happy that you found the staff to be very pleasant and willing to go above a beyond for you during your stay. I was the manager that went to get the yogurt and I was more than happy to accommodate your request during your extended stay. I also wanted to thank you for all the helpful suggestions you gave us during your visit. We are always looking for ways to improve and we greatly appreciate your feedback. Once again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to your next visit, I will bring the yogurt.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Mountain View, California
Reviewed March 17, 2014

We enjoy coming here. Less than two blocks from the beach and away from the craziness of Ocean Ave. Staff is great too and extremely accommodating.
So far the rooms we have gotten are on the smaller side but so quaint!
Definitely coming back.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
ColonialTerrace, General Manager at The Colonial Terrace, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear Valontheroad: Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay here at the Colonial Terrace. I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to having you back. Thank you for mentioning how extremely accommodating the staff is and the hotel’s perfect location; away from the “craziness” of Ocean Avenue and only a few steps to the beach. Once again thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your next visit.
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Chose this place for two days of relaxation in the middle of an otherwise hectic vacation, and it was a delight throughout. Every member of staff we met was friendly, courteous and helpful way beyond average. After settling in to our room we discovered a large wet area on the floor, apparently caused by a plumbing problem. The hotel's response to this was impeccable, with very prompt response by the maintenance team who immediately decided that we should get a different room. Really comfortable bed, spacious room, fantastic quiet location only 15 mins walk from the center of Carmel and moments from the quieter end of the lovely beach. OK, Carmel is impossibly quaint and somewhat expensive, but it fitted the bill perfectly when we wanted two days of peace and nice food (there are some great restaurants in town). The only things I could criticize about the Colonial Terrace would be the breakfast, which was entirely OK but not very exciting. You could argue that the bathroom fittings were a little old-looking, but everything worked perfectly and was well cleaned, so it certainly didn't mar our excellent experience, enhanced by the hotel's beautiful gardens.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Jonathan B.: Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay here at the Colonial Terrace. I am happy that you found the staff to be courteous and helpful, particularly when dealing with a maintenance issue. I am glad that the staff was able to quickly resolve the issue by offering to move you to another location. We thank you for working with us during that issue. I am also happy that you enjoyed everything Carmel has to offer and I thank you for your suggestions on how the hotel can improve. Once again thank you for staying with us during your vacation.
Sacramento, Ca
Reviewed March 12, 2014

We have stayed many places in Carmel over the years. Our favorite spot is now The Colonial Terrace where we have stayed the last 5 visits. You can't get a better spot by the beach for the price. The rooms are clean, the staff so accommodating, & the breakfast is also perfect. I highly recommend this hotel. Thank you.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Gabrielle K.: Thank you for your many visits with us and your wonderful feedback on the Colonial Terrace. As you mentioned we are close to the beach and the rooms are clean. Also, thank you for mentioning how accommodating the staff is, as they truly enjoy making each guest’s experience memorable. Once again thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your next visit.
Arizona
Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay in Carmel at the Colonial Terrace! It was clean, quaint, and quiet. It is only a couple of blocks from Carmel beach, and you can hear the ocean waves from the hotel. The staff was WONDERFUL and very accommodating -- they lit the outdoor fireplace at night for us, and made sure we had everything we could need. We will be staying there again!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
ColonialTerrace, General Manager at The Colonial Terrace, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear Annieathroppy: I am so glad to hear how much you enjoyed the hotel, our service and our location. Thank you for mentioning how wonderful and very accommodating the staff is, they truly strive to make each guest’s experience very memorable. Many guests love to sit out by the wood burning fireplace at night and enjoy a peaceful night listening to the ocean waves. I am truly happy that you were able to enjoy your stay and we look forward to your return visit.
Danville, California, United States
Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

What a wonderfully charming and peaceful place to stay! Although it was built in the 20s that is so much part of its charm and quirkiness. No cookie cutter rooms here. Loved it! I would have liked a better cup of coffee but I'm particular. But if you want a short walk to the beautiful Carmel beach as opposed to town this is the place for you.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
ColonialTerrace, General Manager at The Colonial Terrace, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear Karen B.: Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay here at the Colonial Terrace. I am very happy that you found the hotel to be charming and peaceful. And as you mentioned, there are no cookie cutter rooms here. Each has their own charm. We are, as you said, very close to the beach. So many of our guests love to start the day with a cup of coffee and a peaceful walk on the beach. Once again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to your next stay with us.
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Stayed just one night last weekend for a monther/daughter getaway. Found it last minute through Hotel Tonight and it was an excellent value. Staff was exceptionally warm and welcoming. The room was small but charming and very clean and the bed was super comfy. Grounds were lovely as well. Location was ideal - one block to the ocean and a leisurely walk to town. My daughter loved it so much she made me promise we would come back and stay longer next time! Lovely.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Katherine F.: Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay here at the Colonial Terrace. I am very glad that you enjoyed your short mother/daughter getaway and that you found the staff to be exceptional. Thank you for your comments on how clean and comfy the rooms are. I am also very happy that your daughter had a good time. We welcome the opportunity to have your entire family back with us soon.