“It's no Cypress inn”

Ranked #4 of 26 Carmel B&B and Inns
San Marino, California
“It's no Cypress inn”
Reviewed July 6, 2011

We booked what we expected to be a great two room suite.
The bedroom with the king bed was really the living room with the only tv in it making it the hang out room. The other room was so small that only one side of the bed got a nightstand and you couldn't walk around the bed. No room for a suitcase or a second person to be in the room with you.
Continental breakfast was well presented but skimpy food wise.
House keeping was very attentive and the location is as described on the website.
Our first time not staying at Doris Day's place and we won't veer away again!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
ColonialTerrace, Owner's Representative at The Colonial Terrace, responded to this review, July 11, 2011
The crux of the matter appears to be that you expected the Master Suite to have two private bedrooms which do not exist at the property. I have my thoughts on why this occurred and I clearly understand if that is what you thought then there is no surprise that you would react as you have.

Personally, I would love to stay in the Master Suite, but it is difficult to find an opening when the family is available to travel and it would be a waste to have such a room when I'm traveling solo.

I'm familiar with the Cypress Inn and they are a fine hotel, if somewhat different than what my tastes would prefer. I wish you the best of luck in your travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Hendon
Reviewed May 23, 2011

We stayed for two nights at the Colonial Terrace after a week's work in San Francisco. The welcome we received was very stiff and we felt a bit uncomfortable. The hotel was situated further back from the beach than had been suggested on the website and the sea view was through some trees and over the roof of a house the other side of the road. We had a lovely bedroom but the bathroom was very disappointing. It had not been refurbished for a long time and there was black mould on the tiles and there was very little room between the toilet and the sink. The bathroom suite was very dated. Considering the price of the room we were very disappointed with the bathroom. Breakfasts were very good and there was plenty of coffee and tea and homemade cookies on the go in the lounge. We visited some amazing places whilst staying at the hotel and enjoyed our time there.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Langton16
ColonialTerrace, Owner's Representative at The Colonial Terrace, responded to this review, May 24, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review the Colonial Terrace Inn. Each room at the Colonial Terrace is unique so it always helps us to know which room you stayed in as to avoid a repeat of the sentiments you expressed. Otherwise it sounds like you had a wonderful stay.

Also, just so there is no misunderstanding, the Colonial Terrace is the closest inn to Carmel Beach in the village of Carmel. We like to say it's 72 steps from Carmel Beach. (Some think it's less) That of course is from the closest point. I'm sorry if you feel that is misleading.
London
Reviewed May 15, 2011

We hadn't booked a hotel to stay that night and we were recommended this hotel by another hotel that was full. We whole heartedly thank them as it was so reasonably priced ( we got a walk up rate) and the room was huge ( number 6) and it included breakfast AND parking!

It was so charming and peaceful and altogether delightful.

This would not normally be our taste as we prefer modern hotels but this gave a real Carmel feel and we definitely recommend it.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Tracy, California
Reviewed May 13, 2011

Overall I felt the Colonial Terrace was an average hotel. Pros: very close to the beach, and off the beaten path. Cons: a very long walk to down town and our particular room was noisy. To my disappointment the staff/management was not responsive to complaint and with that I would not recommend this Hotel.

Room Tip: Room #27 very noisy.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dog1998
Culpeper, Virginia
Reviewed May 8, 2011

We decided to make Carmel our location to renew our vows after 20 years. A friend had recommended The Colonial Terrace and we found Dr. Carell Zaehn as our minister and Steven Bergman as the photographer. (just extra info in case someone needs it). The inn is nice but the room we stayed in needs some updating from windows to carpet to paint. The amenities were very nice, however. The extras in the afternoon were nice (very yummy cookies and coffee) and it was a decent continental breakfast. The courtyard is sweet with a lot of pretty plants and trees and you are two blocks from the beach. You can see the water from the courtyard. The houses in Carmel are amazing. You can just walk and walk and talk about the different types of architecture. It's like being in a Tokien book.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
ColonialTerrace, Owner's Representative at The Colonial Terrace, responded to this review, May 9, 2011
Thank you for taking time to offer your review here on Trip Advisor. It sounds as if you found the neighborhood as inspirational as I do during my visits.

Just a couple of thoughts on your updating remarks. All the rooms at the property received new carpet and paint in 2009 which in relative terms is fairly recent. As for the windows that's the first time I've ever heard anybody comment about them except for a few of the rooms which have louvered versions in the bathroom and then that's only in the winter.

Here's to wishing your next 20 years of marriage are as satisfying as the first 20 appear to have been.
kerry
Reviewed May 6, 2011

We spent two nights in colonial terrace carmel, we were a family group of six adults and one toddler (age 2 years) My husband and i stayed in a king suite with sea view, the sitting room was quite nice, the bedroom not bad , (smallish)the bathroom left a lot to be desired, one had to step into shower over bath which had been touched up with bath paint, the shower was difficult to regulate , roasting or freezing, a tiny sliding window vented the steam ,other wise it was like a sauna, housekeeping could work a little harder on floor in bathroom, otherwise it was just about ok.Breakfast a bit chaotic, lots people ,little room, only one coffee dispenser . Cant really undrestand what all the fuss is about beach at carmel , its pretty, but as i come from the rugged south west coast of Ireland, i!v seen more spectacular, Carmel itself was nice, if a bit over touristy , Our stay at Colonial terrace was pleasant , the inn is quaint and well positioned for beach walks, and about a mile at night to resteraunts, no street lighting, they gave us torches, nice touch, staff at front desk did their best.

Room Tip: we had room 3
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
ColonialTerrace, Owner's Representative at The Colonial Terrace, responded to this review, May 16, 2011
I think it’s wonderful you were able to visit us all the way from Ireland. My family all have roots there and we imagine visiting there someday. But I sure hope you had a chance to visit Big Sur during your time here. It is absolutely spectacular! Carmel is about a lot more than the beach and while I often have the opportunity to enjoy the beaches of La Jolla which are exceptional in their own right, I find nary a person exists that doesn’t enjoy beaches of Carmel and vicinity.

By the way, I stayed in room 3 previously with my young son and had a different experience than yours it sounds like. One of the nice things about room 3 is if you feel a little crowded in the lobby you can always grab a tray and bring breakfast back to the room for your comfort. As far as bathroom , the tub/ shower combination is a fairly typical arrangement but we do have other rooms with a separate shower of shower only option for those that prefer it. I’ll look into whether we have a ceiling fan in that room to assist with the steam. I know we do down below.

One of the unique and special aspects of Carmel is the lack of street lighting. I often enjoy the walk into the village proper but recognize it may not be for everyone. Hopefully, you were able to take away something different from the the experience as I did when challenged by a first time trek up an unlit walkway to find our accommodations at a Chateau in hills of Grindewald a few years ago.

Best wishes in your travels.
Pleasanton, California
Reviewed April 25, 2011

Very disappointed with our stay at The Colonial Terrace. For a premium room (King, Ocean View, Fireplace) costing over $350 a night the value just isn't there. The room was large and airy but the bathroom was out of cheap highway motel with lot of mildew in the grout and crevces around the tub/shower. The first night we discovered that the heater did not work after the office closed - had to get up every 2 hours and light the fireplace. The maintenance man replaced the thermostat late the next afternoon. On the second night the TV had lost all the low channels and eventually the maintenance man managed to chase down a failed cable box after swapping the remote control and the TV. For a Bed and Breakfast Inn, the breakfast was no better than you get at a cheap highway motel catering to truckers with grocery store "danish" pastries, toast, and one choice of cold cereal.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank semclane
ColonialTerrace, Owner's Representative at The Colonial Terrace, responded to this review, April 27, 2011
Thanks for taking time to review our property on Trip Advisor. As with all customer reviews I do a thorough follow up with our staff to discuss issues that may have occurred during someone's stay.

Fortunately or unfortunately depending on your perspective the review did not match the experience as reported to me by our staff at the property. I did determine however that the Comcast cable box needed replacing. I happy that our staff went the extra mile to address that during your stay. Also, we did find a tiny mildew stain in one corner which has since been corrected. Thanks for the heads up. Normally our routine maintenance catches something like that.

As for the other items it appears the thermostat really did not require replacing and it appears to have been a matter of operator error.

The breakfast comments strike me as very out of touch but honestly I can't relate to what is meant by "cheap highway motel". I always enjoy the breakfast during my stay. Personally I like to mix the granola with the yogurt and add in some of the fresh fruit for a nice blend of protein to go with the tasty danish carbs. But that's just me.

Perhaps the value of staying a few blocks from Carmel Beach is lost on certain folks when they visit the town. Based on years of experience our Ocean View King room is one of the most popular. Sorry it did not measure up to your expectations.