“Dark room, dreadful bagels,” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Carmel Fireplace Inn

Carmel Fireplace Inn
Ranked #20 of 26 Carmel B&B and Inns
Alberta
“Dark room, dreadful bagels,”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2009

Hoping for a pleasant get-away trip of browsing the village sights, galleries and enjoying the ambiance the area boasts, I found the Inn to be rather unwelcoming, with some of the front desk staff rather rude and unhelpful. After all, 4 days of the same old bagels and muffins for breakfast could have been varied with something other than cream cheese. When I asked if they ever had peanut butter or other "toppings", was told to buy my own and bring it there. There were "rules" about the afternoon sherry which varied with the staff on the desk. Our room was dark and the hot water in one bathroom non existant. After asking about it, was told it would be checked but I guess that is all they did as it was never corrected. Free video movies were very old and outdated. Restraunts recommended were awful but I guess the "famous chef"stays there so they have to recommend his dreadful place.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Fresno, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2009

Very old rooms... no updates with dirty carpets, bed spread and pillow shams. My socks were dirty from walking on the carpet in just a few hours the first evening. That fact is particularly interesting because I was paying a $25 per night pet fee. I was told it was to cover the cost of having the carpet cleaned when a pet left. I saw pets leave several (over 5) rooms. Carpets were not cleaned, ever.

Extended breakfast? Surely not worth complying with the hour and fifteen minute time span.

For anyone who might be visually impaired or the least bit unsteady on their feet, the walkways in this little inn are uneven, cracked, and narrow. There are few railings on any steps and steep areas that tend to be slippery even though some attempt has been made to make them less so.

Had a reservation for several days and due to a large parking lot just outside of the back window to my room I spent a very noisy (I'm not at all a light sleeper) first night I requested another room for the next four nights. I was told that I could move to an upstairs room but would be charged an additional $10 per night but it would probably be quieter. I declined the additional fees since I knew what others were paying for larger rooms. I was told they couldn't do anything. For the next 4 days there was no concern shown or any contact made.

Not a pleasant stay and am glad to be home so I can sleep tonight.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Carmel hotels

South Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2009

This little inn was really quaint. We had a lovely spacious room that opened up onto the very pretty court yard. It was in a nice quiet location within easy walking distance of every thing you could possibly want. The beach, restaurants and the beach.

Breakfast was always nicely presented, plenty of choice and more if you wanted it. The staff were very friendly and we were made to feel very welcome. Nothing was too much trouble.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
Calif
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2009

They say they are a pet friendly Inn.....not so. I felt the staff at the desk unreasonable and unfriendly to people with dogs. I have been going to Carmel for over 30 years and have been traveling with my small dog for 12 years and never has such a terrable time. The rooms are old and smell. The bed covers are very old, dirty and should be replaced. Rooms too small are all very close together and can hear everything going on at the Inn. I really feel it's not worth the money . The sister hotel across the street is even worse. I had to find another hotel and move. Oh yes...If you have a nice car chances are if you park in their parking spots your car will get damaged.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Stelltheabella
carmelfireplace, Manager at Carmel Fireplace Inn, responded to this review, May 30, 2009
The staff at the Carmel Fireplace Inn cares very much about our guests and the dogs that sometimes accompany them. You all are our top priority. While on vacation, we want everyone staying with us to have a wonderful time and relaxing stay. It was not our intention to upset anyone when a change of rooms was requested. If we get numerous noise complaints from different guests because of a loud and continuously barking dog on the property, we must take it upon ourselves to resolve such a matter. This is hardly the case and has never occurred in the past. Most pets are kept under control and do not cause any disturbances.
If ever asked to change rooms due to this type of situation, we would hope our guests would not take this personal, but understand it is a simple solution. This would allow everyone to have a more peaceful and quiet stay. We would do this for anyone if it were necessary.
Carmel is such a wonderful pet friendly town. We will always be happy to accept guests with their well-behaved dogs. We again would like to apologize for any inconvenience while staying with us.
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2009

We pulled in to Carmel with no reservations anywhere and 2 dogs. After calling around to a number of places we found that there were quite a few with available rooms that take pets. All were overly quaint and country style. We chose the Fireplace inn despite it's lowish rating here as it was significantly less expensive than the others. Upon arrival we found the front desk staff to be very friendly, warm and helpful. When we mentioned where we were going for dinner she immediately hopped on the phone and made a reservation for us, without which we would not have gotten in.

The room was clean and spacious enough for two good sized dogs and their beds, the two of us and a mountain bike with room left over for luggage and moving about comfortably. It had a window looking out into the courtyard garden patio which was a nice sunny place to sit and read.

The continental breakfast was the only disappointment. Danish and muffins likely from Costco with some mediocre coffee and some flavorless apples and nice oranges. I suggest you eat out.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank threedogs
Sacramento, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2009

We have been to Carmel many times, but always stayed in Monterey or surrounding areas. I was looking for a change of pace and found The Fireplace Inn and their amazing winter internet special of $69 per night. Although breakfast and maid service were not included, we had a wonderful stay in this charming, quaint inn. The staff was terrific - informative and friendly. There is a deli just around the corner where we would get a sandwich for a picnic on the beach. The beds were very comfortable, and the large flat screen TV was nice. The parking lot is small, but there is plently of street parking. Kiddie corner from the Inn is a sports bar/pub by the name of "Brophy's". We had dinner there two nights in a row for under $20 total - the food and service were great . We loved being located within walking distance to everything. A very relaxing stay and we look forward to going back again and again!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — In-room coffee was not good.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Northern California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2008

For 20+ years we have traveled to Carmel for our anniversary. This trip was a quick get-a-way following my husband's recent hospitalization. Since we always travel with our pets, it is very important that the facilites are "pet friendly." We prefer to stay in the 3 or 4 star "Non Smoking"hotels and do not complain when there is a fee for pets. It all gets down to the pet owners responsibility and policy enforcement of the establishment. Our dogs are well trained travelers; they have their own crates, leashes, bowls, water, etc. They do not treat the room as if it was their own personal backyard.
While the WEB site and Mr Clyde were very kind in their discriptions of the facility, quaint is definitely "overdone." The Inn is very old, fireplaces are upgraded wall heaters, towels are not acceptable for my scotties let alone me or my 6' 3" husband. The bathroom was so small - the sink was set right next to toilet and the shower was no larger than a port-a-potty at the Jazz Festival. Do Not Plan on Sharing! These accomodations are better suited for children. We could not walk in the room without triping over something. And, It was not possible to move the furniture to ease the space confinements. A sign posted actually said Do Not Move the Furniture. Well then where do we put our suitcase, shoes, etc. The bed, pillows, sheets, bedding, carpets, etc. are all in need of replacement. Thankfully, we did have our own pillows and comforter. We don't allow the pets on the bed without our own comforter. We fold and put away the one on the bed upon arrival.
For these prices we expected more. We will not return to the Inn. While on this trip we visited several other lodging establishments and found a nice complement of facilities that will meet our needs.
Travelers, do your homework, don't depend on the Web site.
Take the time to read the reviews - after this visit I have!
Our December visit will be at another Carmel Inn that is completely pet friendly. Not designated rooms, with old furnishings, linens and comparable pet fees.
I would recommend the staff since they have an uncanny ability to view and represent the Inn as an A+ facility!

I love Carmel

• Liked — location was quiet and close walking distance to Ocean and Shopping
  • Disliked — Read my review - that says plenty
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple