All reviewssmall cottagebreakfast roomlocation is greatjuice and coffeeenjoyed our stayboiled eggsocean avenuewould definitely stay here againfresh fruitdowntown carmelcarmel by the seafireplacesherryflowersthermostatcasanovacourtyard
Reviewed January 23, 2016

I really like this place. It's moderately-priced, and the rooms are cozy, clean and nicely-appointed. It's a group of small buildings which house cottages or rooms. Little winding paths, gardens and water features lead between the buildings. There's a little courtyard garden area with a table where you can sit and eat or hang out. It's in a nice location in downtown Carmel, surrounded by shops and restaurants, and an easy walk from the beach.

We've stayed in three different rooms here. Some are small, some are bigger. None are identical, but all have fireplace heaters.

We like to stay here because we can bring our dog. Carmel is a very dog-friendly town, and at the front desk they can give you a map of Carmel and a list of dog-friendly restaurants. Dogs are not allowed in every room; you need to notify them when you make your reservation if you're bringing your dog, and there's a $25-per-day extra charge.They have a weight limit for dogs, but will allow larger dogs if they're well-behaved. If your dog barks a lot people from other rooms will call and complain. You are not allowed to leave your dog alone in your room or in your car in the parking lot, and you aren't allowed to bring your dog into the lobby when they're serving breakfast. However, they have trays so you can bring breakfast back to your room. They offer port or sherry around 5-6PM, but they don't want you to take it back to your room, so if you want sherry and have a dog, I don't know what you do.

Breakfast is good although it's mostly carbs. They have coffee and tea, pound cake and muffins, very fresh bagels and cream cheese, and fruit. It's all good.

Here are the things I didn't like about our most recent stay:

Robin was very snippy and irritable when we checked in; I don't know why. (She became nicer after I asked her name.) The other woman who works there was very nice, and Debee who helped with our reservations is also extremely nice and helpful.

I wish they had boiled eggs or some simple protein-rich food available at breakfast.

The rooms need blackout curtains. There are exterior lights all over the place including directly outside our window, and this made sleep difficult.

Room Tip: All rooms are different so ask questions when making your reservation
  • Stayed: January 2016, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Janet W
Reviewed November 25, 2015

The room was small, but the queen bed was comfortable and the gas fireplace was a really nice touch for the chilly night. The only thing I didn't like was the shower: very small and very dark. Everything was clean and there was a small vase with flowers and a card when we arrived because it was a honeymoon trip. Really good bagels for breakfast, great location in this tiny town.

• Stayed: November 2015, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 10, 2015 via mobile

We had a spacious room for four with a king size bed and a queen size bed, and two bathrooms. We loved the room and the quaint atmosphere of the inn. The following day we enjoyed a lovely breakfast with delicious muffins and fresh fruit. We will certainly come back if we are in the area again.

Stayed: August 2015, traveled with family
Reviewed August 30, 2015

This small cottage enclave at the edge of downtown Carmel offers cozy rooms, all different. This is no cookie-cutter motel but a time capsule from decades past. In fact, we returned here after having visited 38 years ago. Why? Simple. After we settled into the room (done up in Delft blue and white wallpaper and knotty pine), my wife said "This is so romantic! Thank you for bringing me here."

The Fireplace Inn is a B&B. That means the cozy rooms include breakfast. As I've read from other reviewers, breakfast includes two kinds of breakfast loaf (poppy seed and chocolate chip when we visited), some fruit slices, juice, and coffee. If you want a substantial breakfast, it can be gotten a block or two from the inn.

I'm writing this review and posting it using the inn's WiFi network, so you can see it works fine. The rooms now include a medium-sized flat-screen TV (not true 38 years ago) and a videotape player (yes, tape not DVD). A movie library with nearly 100 titles is available in the lobby for free overnight use. We watched "Rain Man" and the tape was in decent condition.

You can walk to all of downtown Carmel from the Fireplace Inn. It's well situated. Walking is important because parking comes at a premium. The Fireplace Inn has only 7 spaces and many more rooms than that. So you're likely to be parking on the street. I recommend 4th which has unlimited parking. Many spaces nearby are limited to two hours during daylight hours.

The people running the place were very, very friendly and left my wife a few cut roses for discovery on arrival. I'd let them know on the registration form that it was a big birthday for her and they did not miss that info.

A nice, romantic stay.

• Stayed: August 2015, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Steven L
Reviewed July 21, 2015 via mobile

I enjoyed staying at this place. It's a bit dated but the bed was really comfortable and shower hot and powerful. Free wifi was available in our room and we had a little patio where we could sit out on. It was about a 15 minute walk to the beach and a 5 minute walk to lots of good restaurants.

Stayed: May 2015, traveled as a couple