“Living Social customers beware...”

Carmel Fireplace Inn
Ranked #21 of 26 Carmel B&B and Inns
wilton, ca
“Living Social customers beware...”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I would like to have had the opportunity to review this property itself, but due to booking situation, never will. I purchased a L.S. deal on 1/21/14, for a 'Two night stay in a King Condo of Larger Family Style Unit, Fridays & Saturdays'. I researched available rooms (needed dog friendly, & traveling with another couple, so needed two BR). One room met our needs (Dolores I). After coordinating with our friends on dates, we found that the only weekend that would work was ONE DAY past the exp. date for the voucher. I called to make the reservation, and the clerk made a call to the mgr. regarding the situation. She promptly called me back & said the mgr. couldn't honor the voucher past the exp. date. Now, here's why I'm writing this... They have already sold over 400 Living Social deals so far, and will continue selling more for the next fifteen days! I didn't do the math, but I'm not sure how they will be able to accommodate all of those reservations. They are already relatively full for most weekends between now and May 15 (expiration date for L.S. vouchers). So, good luck there.
After all's said & done, I requested a refund from Living Social, so this property will be losing out on that 335.00, plus an extra 150.00, as we would have been paying for two extra adults@ 25.00 ea. per night, and one awesome dog @ 25.00/night. (Incidentally, the regular price for these extras, if you book directly through the property, are only 15.00 per night, each. Already a little gouging...).
There are 'a lot of fish in the sea', as far as lodging goes in Carmel. We will look elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank DJlike2play

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Acceptable enough for 4 days (although the shower power was terrible), great location for walkability. My biggest problem was the (lack of) breakfast. Costco muffins and bagels - every day. Orange and apple slices - every day. That's it. I should have read the reviews more carefully. I expect actual food, or at least a variety, when I'm paying for breakfast. Also, the small window of time (8:15-9:30am) is too tight. I was travelling with 3 kids ages 15-22 and they needed food. I would shop around next time for more bang for my buck.

Room Tip: We chose the room with 3 beds so the teens could have their own space. One teen had the pull out tw...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Livermore, California
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Just stayed the weekend. Never again. Pictures on the internet are misleading. We stayed in room 21. Very small, wallpaper peeling off wall, and mold in the shower. The shower was dark and very small. Upon check in the front desk girl was busy talking outside with a couple. I walked right pass them and not even a hello I will be right with you...nothing...10 min. later when she was finished her conversation she came in and helped me. We asked for the sheets to be changed, even left the card on the bed...nope, never done. No clean glasses left, had to wash them myself, so we could have our coffee and water the next day. Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else. The room was very loud with people upstairs.Horrible rooms and service!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Catherine482

Travelers are raving about these Carmel hotels

Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Check inn desk clerk needs training on how to ask questions without being offensive. Breakfast area tiny couldn't swing a cat. They served sherry there apparently at 17.00 hrs but we didn't bother too cramped. Breakfast curfew at 9.30 too early 10.00 would work better. Pictures online make it look classically comfortable but it was just cheaply twee. Good pub on the corner across the street though. Location good value for money expensive.

Room Tip: All much the same I think
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Truds5456
Avila Beach
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

Carmel has been rated the most dog-friendly town in the country and we would certainly agree. So we recently stayed here with our two Shih Tzus in Room 37 and had a delightful visit. This room is completely separate from the rest of the Inn, like a little cottage, and had a fireplace and sitting area along with two full-sized beds. There were dog biscuits waiting when we arrived. There is a continental breakfast included along with a small refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker in the room, so you could have snacks in your room and save on restaurants. However, there are so many excellent restaurants that are dog friendly (like Casanova) that you will want to go out. This B&B is just a few short blocks from Ocean Avenue, where all the cute shops are, and you can walk down to Carmel Beach, which is off-leash dog friendly. There is even a library of videotapes, many of which feature dogs and cats, for free use at the office. Two paws up!!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

The Carmel Fireplace Inn is in serious need of updating. There are so many cute, trendy, updated motels and inns that have updated super successfully that they could learn from. There really isn't any reason that this place couldn't be fabulous. The location is great. Carmel is charming, quirky in places and this place could be too. The gardens and layout of the buildings are interesting and full of personality and potential.
We stayed in a ground floor "not for pets" room as we wanted to be sure to avoid the wet dog smell that could be possible in this pet friendly B&B. Our room was very small. I felt like I was in my friends RV when I was drying my hair in the bathroom. The shower is a plastic enclosure and the sink is stainless steel oddly enough. All very clean though. The complimentary shampoo is BRECK!
I give it 3 stars instead of 2 as it was super clean. Really clean. The staff was friendly and pleasant.
It did make me want to try the other similar places in town on our next stay. It won't be the Fireplace Inn until they update.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Carla P
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed December 6, 2013

I have mixed feelings about this place though it came highly recommended from a couple who have stayed there numerous times. The layout of the one room worked well for my husband and me and our 2 kids as it had 2 large beds and 1 and 1/2 bathrooms (brilliant). However the only heating was the gas fireplace. There were no closets but the room had a coat rack and a small narrow dresser. The room also had a TV, 2 nice chairs and a small table with a coffee maker. I thought the bed was very comfortable. It was located on the ground floor, on the corner, so a little noisy in the morning.
We arrived prior to check in time and the check in clerk was extremely rude; she made it clear she was annoyed that she had to interact with me. I hadn't even asked if we could check in early. I asked for a suggestion for a (seafood) restaurant for lunch and was told that there were over 100 restaurants in Carmel. She stated that we could probably check in after lunch, but when we returned there was no one at the front desk. We left to go to Point Lobos State Reserve (don't miss it!!). When we returned there was someone new at the front desk, I believe her name was Inga, and she was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast included juice, coffee, tea, pastries, bagels and cream cheese, apple and orange slices and quick breads/muffins. If you want eggs, bacon etc you'll need to go to a restaurant.
Given the huge number of inns/hotels in such a small area I don't know why the owner would tolerate such a rude check in clerk (unless she is the owner). The breakfast and room itself did not compensate for her bad attitude. I do not recommend this place and would not choose to stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family