“Enjoyed our stay at Briarwood”
Review of Briarwood Inn

Briarwood Inn
Ranked #20 of 26 Carmel B&B and Inns
Medford, Oregon
“Enjoyed our stay at Briarwood”
Reviewed June 22, 2008

My wife and I, along with our adult daughter, spent four night at the Briarwood Inn in June. We rented the Cambridge unit, a two-bedroom, one-bath cottage on Mission Street. While the furnishings were not new, it was clean and comfortable. Located two blocks off of Ocean Avenue, the Briarwood is close to many restaurants, galleries and shops. The Inn provides a complimentary continental breakfast of fresh fruits and juices, bagels and muffins.
My wife and I have visited Carmel many times but this was our first stay at the Briarwood - it will not be our last.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Windsor, CA
Reviewed April 22, 2008

My mom and I stayed at the Briarwood Inn from April 19th to the 21st. I booked this Inn because it seemed convenient to the shops and looked really cute from the pictures on the website. We stayed in the Windsor room, which had two queen beds. The beds very comfortable and I thought the room was cozy, yet very roomy..if that makes sense. There was a nice gas fireplace that we used frequently and a brand new, flat screen tv that was very nice. The room was so clean, in fact it looked like it had been freshly painted. Also, the room was very quiet. The only time we heard anything was when some people came home upstairs from us, and it didn't bother us at all. The Briarwood Inn provides a very nice breakfast in the morning, which we both enjoyed very much. Lots of fresh fruit, pastries, muffins, and bagels. You have the option of eating in the cute little dining area, or bringing a tray back to your room. They provide coffee all day and port and sherry in the evening. We didn't have that though. The Briarwood was a great location and we walked everywhere. The first night we got there the woman at the front desk asked if we had dinner reservations and we said no. She had someone cancel some for the Flying Fish earlier and kept them in case someone else wanted them. We took them and had a great dinner there! The next night we ate at Little Napoli, which was also very nice!
So, I would definitely stay at the Briarwood again! The only thing that was a little off was the shower pressure and cold/hot knob was hard to adjust, but that is so minor. My mom and I both had a fun, relaxing weekend and are looking forward to going back soon!

• Liked — Convenient, comfortable, cute!
  • Disliked — liked it all!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank rncathy
San Jose, California
Reviewed April 6, 2008

We stayed in the two bedroom, two bath unit on the second floor. The location of the inn to downtown Carmel is great, but the rooms are dated. The throw rug was so beat up as you entered the room, I threw it in the closet so I wouldn't have to look at it. The kitchen and baths looked like they had been updated. However, the bedspread was faded, the carpet and chairs in the living room and dining room had spots. This place definately needs some attention.
The best part was the staff. They were very helpful with dinner reservations, etc. Great job, ladies.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank tennismom1
Michigan
Reviewed February 24, 2008

Stayed for 2 nights on the midweek special, 2 nights for the price of one. It was out first time in Carmel. I guess everything is expensive and would not have been happy if we paid full price. The room was roomy and clean but was somewhat dated and had a musty smell. Breakfast was nice made up of fresh fruit, orange juice and coffe with some baked goods. It was my wife's favorite breakfast of the trip. The location is right in Carmel by the Sea with plenty of shops and restaurants in walking distance. The beach at the Sea is about a 20 minute walk. The others staying here were all 60+. Note that everything in Carmel seems to be expensive by my standards. Dinners for $80/couple for average food and 1 glass of wine would probably be on the cheap side.

Stayed February 2008
3 Thank mjm964
Arlington, VA
Reviewed August 10, 2007

We had a very nice stay at the Briarwood. 2 nice sized bedrooms for us and our 2 daughters, plus a large living room and kitchen. The breakfast, included, is nicely presented with fresh stuff. Good location for being in Carmel--just a bit of a hike to the beach, but close to the main drag.

• Liked — Lots of space for the 4 of us
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank joeinva
Los Angeles
Reviewed May 23, 2007

We stayed in 2 rooms, Greenwich and Chelsea which we liked a lot. The service was great, it was quiet and other guests were nice too. We took both breakfast and drinks to our room and that was also hassle-free. The convenience to everything was one of the reasons we stayed at this location. Upon check-out we were told they did not allow dogs under 1 years of age. 2 different clerks (not Carol) saw our dogs and seemed to have no problem with them (nor did they ask their age which is 5 months). I double-checked their website, and NONE of their various dog rules are posted, nor were they explicit when I directly called them, only asking the breed type (border collie). It was only after I submitted the reservation along with my credit card that a disclaimer was apparent on the print-out (which they e-mailed it to me), and even then there was no mention of age. Additionally, though the hard copy states "the only pets accepted are dogs under 25 lbs," only our dogs would have qualified as other guests had dogs at least twice that size....maybe there is flexibility in that rule... All in all I would stay there again minus the dogs.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — surly front desk clerk
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Wiinnie4Minnie
Pacific Palisades. Ca
Reviewed April 28, 2006

My husband and I stay at the Briarwood every April for a week. When we arrived Carol the innkeeper had put a birthday card in our room for my husband. She booked us most nights at many fabulous restaurants like L'Auberge for food tasting with wine paring. The Flying Fish, Bouche and 2 great italians Giovanni's and another Nico's.In the mornings if she wasn't there she made sure the desk clerks set up a food tray for us for our room since we sleep in.
The inn has fruit, muffins and pastries with coffee and juices every moring.Each room has a mini kitchen sitting area and fireplace or stovetype heating. The Briarwood is in a great location in just 2 blocks from Ocean. You can purchase wine and Cheese at the Cheese store or market and take them to your room. The inn does supply full kitchen setup including wine glasses. Carol booked a masseuse to our room for my husband several times. Over the last couple of years the inn started allowing people to bring pets which is very unfortunate for us. My husband and I were allergic to the dander and took antihistamines the entire time. We also had to request the bed spread be removed because of some type of sickly looking spot. It would be much better if the rooms were not soiled up by the pets. We only had a noise problem one time in the last 5 or 6 years we've been staying there. It is very quiet. The property is well kept and the clerks that work the desk are nice. The housekeepers have been there many years and are very accomodating and try really hard to make sure you have what you need. All said, Carol is the major reason we continue to always return.

• Stayed April 2006