“Great way to spend an afternoon.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Refuge

Refuge
Ranked #1 of 14 Spas & Wellness in Carmel
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Refuge is the first American facility dedicated to Hydro-thermal therapy and offers the ultimate in relaxation that is one of a kind! Truly the best 3 hours in Carmel! Through heating up in our Co-ed Sauna and Steam bath, cooling down in our cold pools and relaxation in indoor relaxation rooms or outdoor areas with fireplaces - you will be relaxed! Massages are available as well!
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Great way to spend an afternoon.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful beautiful setting. Do a massage it's worth it and you get the robe included. Eat before you go so you do not get lightheaded. You will feel amazing. Appreciate the silence rule to help add to the peacefulness of your stay.

1 Thank Victoriaharrison

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful Experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

My daughters brought me for my birthday and it was awesome! I enjoyed every minute of it! It was very relaxing and a magnificent atmosphere.

1 Thank patoja9
Boulder Creek, California, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Blissful Relaxation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

My friend and I had a wonderful time. The silence policy is intimidating at first but we quickly figured out that it in the steam room, sauna and especially in the relaxation rooms, it's essential. You can whisper in the hot pools and we had no problem communicating. The heat up/cool down/relax cycle is fantastic, and the zero gravity chairs are very comfortable. After my third cycle, I knew I was done. I told my friend "You know, I think I'm high."

We were there for the sunset and were treated to lovely colorful sky show. The waterfalls in the hot pools feel fantastic on your shoulders rinsing away any tension that may be lingering there. I have only two complaints - the cold pools have a two snowflake or one snowflake rating. However for me personally, the one snowflake pool was still painfully cold and I was unable to fully submerge. Secondly, and this isn't really a complaint-more of a caveat, I would bring flip flops next time as the stone surface made the skin on my feet sore. But overall - it did the trick as I have slept wonderfully for 2 nights now.

Next time I'd like to come during the day and read by the firepits.

1 Thank Carolyn L
Seattle, Washington
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Refuge Spa”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

My wife and I visited Refuge and loved it. First, the setting is as serene as anything you can ask for. It is situated in the hills of Carmel Valley with lush foliage and beautiful flowers blooming on the mature trees. The service was good, and the facilities and its services were good. You can use the sauna, steam room, hot tubs, cold pools, fire pits and quiet rooms to relax and refresh. The experience is best when you do all of them in a cycle four or five times. The only knock I have is the lack of towels, however, they keep it like that to cut down on the waste in an effort to stay "green," which I appreciate. But it is still nice to have more than one towel when going in and out of pools.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank ColinGunderson
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great refuge”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

Bring your comfy clothes for the ride home well worth it very relaxing. Price is right staff very friendly. Will do again for sure, a must do at night. Very clean and beautiful setting

Visited March 2013