“Hot, Cold, Relax, Repeat”
Review of Refuge

Refuge
Ranked #1 of 14 Spas & Wellness in Carmel
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Refuge is the first American facility dedicated to Hydro-thermal therapy and offers the ultimate in relaxation that is one of a kind! Truly the best 3 hours in Carmel! Through heating up in our Co-ed Sauna and Steam bath, cooling down in our cold pools and relaxation in indoor relaxation rooms or outdoor areas with fireplaces - you will be relaxed! Massages are available as well!
San Francisco, California
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Hot, Cold, Relax, Repeat”

Hot
Cold
Relax

Repeat up to 5 times.

Very clean facilities. Beautiful setting. Towels provided, but robe rental required. Bring flip-flops. Bring a book or magazine. Bring your friend or loved one.

Shampoo, hair conditioner and shower gel provided in shower.

Did not get a massage, but that would be fabulous!

I violated the *silence* rule by laughing/screaming/whooping when I walked into the cold pool. Oops!

1 Thank cabowoo

Santa Cruz, California
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Amazing Day Spa, Perfect for Relaxation”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This was my second visit to Refuge and it did not disappoint! Although I did not have a massage here, I did partake in the relaxation "cycle": Eucalyptus steam room or dry sauna, cold plunge, then relax in a robe by the outdoor firepit. Repeat, with a break once in awhile for a dip in the hot pool. The staff is efficient and courteous, clients are respectful of one another's privacy and the setting is peaceful and tranquil. Hint: if you go on a Sunday afternoon, you can have the place all to yourself! Try this at least once: you'll love it!

1 Thank RetroStewardess
Covington, Louisiana, United States
“Refuge”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My husband and I enjoyed and greatly benefited from the hydro-therapy before our massages. The sauna, steam room, cold and hot plunge pools were clean and welcoming. The staff members who welcomed us and directed us from place to place were friendly and knowledgeable about the facility and amenities. Our only misgivings were with the massages which though relaxing were not as deep as we had anticipated by signing up for a sports massage and a deep tissue massage. We definitely will come again the next time we are in Carmel.

Petaluma, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“The Refuge!!”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

It was so neat to have the feeling of cold to hot. It was crazy how you felt from cold to hot. I loved sitting by the fire and it was so nice. I would tell lots of people to try it out. I would come back for sure.

1 Thank groovysfchick
Santa Cruz, California, United States
“Say aaaahhhhh!”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

What a wonderful treat. This was my first visit and I was so impressed. My girlfriends and I wanted a day of relaxing and retreat so we all got massages. My massage was really good and the therapist listened to what I wanted her to focus on. Steam room, cold plunge, relax and then one of the warm or hot pools. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. I enjoyed the waterfall pools, too. Everything was clean and inviting and I loved the rule of quiet. There was not a loud voice anywhere to be heard. We spent about 3 1/2 hours and left feeling like happy, limp noodles. If you've had a hard week or month or you just want some time to unwind and contemplate visit this place and feel revived.