“Say aaaahhhhh!”

Refuge
Ranked #1 of 14 Spas & Wellness in Carmel
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Refuge is the first American facility dedicated to Hydro-thermal therapy and offers the ultimate in relaxation that is one of a kind! Truly the best 3 hours in Carmel! Through heating up in our Co-ed Sauna and Steam bath, cooling down in our cold pools and relaxation in indoor relaxation rooms or outdoor areas with fireplaces - you will be relaxed! Massages are available as well!
Santa Cruz, California, United States
“Say aaaahhhhh!”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

What a wonderful treat. This was my first visit and I was so impressed. My girlfriends and I wanted a day of relaxing and retreat so we all got massages. My massage was really good and the therapist listened to what I wanted her to focus on. Steam room, cold plunge, relax and then one of the warm or hot pools. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. I enjoyed the waterfall pools, too. Everything was clean and inviting and I loved the rule of quiet. There was not a loud voice anywhere to be heard. We spent about 3 1/2 hours and left feeling like happy, limp noodles. If you've had a hard week or month or you just want some time to unwind and contemplate visit this place and feel revived.

Helena, Montana
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Best massage ever!”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

If you have the chance to try this place, don't miss it. Friends and I spend over 3 hours here. Each of us got a massage, with four different therapists and each of us raved it was one of the best we've ever had. Apparently, it doesn't matter who you use! The hot/cold therapy was invigorating and relaxing (does that even make sense?!). Already wish I could go back!

Went mid-day, mid-week and almost no one was there. Perfect. Would have appreciated more towels, and free water bottles for the price.

1 Thank MontanaKim
Port Aransas, Texas
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Is it a tennis club or a thermal refuge?”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Don't be confused when you arrive at the Athletic(Tennis) Center in Carmel Valley... it is the Refuge. Once you find yourself a place to park (no valet available), you check in at the tennis center's front desk and are directed to wind along a pathway screened from the tennis courts on one side of the path and "rustic" wooden fenced spa on the other side. Then you check in again with the attendants. Locker room changes and then out to deck where you are "oriented" on the process. Basically, treat yourself to hot pools then cold pools (for as long as you can) then rest and do it again 3 to 5 times.... with fire pits and eucalyptus rooms for resting spots. It is a very nice concept but don't expect a 5 star spa experience. We were not offered water save the small drinking fountain by the locker rooms.... even after our massages.

One could almost duplicate this experience if a oceanfront rental became available with a hot tub.... Then just heat and cool with relaxing on the beach in between therapies! ;}

San Francisco, California
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Good way to relax”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Good way to relax. next time I would go earlier, bring a book and spend the day. Prepare to chill and do little for the day...

Visited February 2012
1 Thank CCTaylor490
Campbell, California, United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Peaceful and relaxing”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Started with a great massage then spent about 3 hours in the refuge. The space is beautifully designed, super clean and serene. The refuge process (hot, cold, relax,...) really works. In between with the hot tubs and some real quiet time and I left feeling SO centered and relaxed!

Visited September 2012