“Vagabond House Inn”

Ranked #7 of 26 Carmel B&B and Inns
Dallas, Texas
“Vagabond House Inn”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Great little B&B. and a little romantic even for us grey hairs. Staff gave great advice for restaurants and the trip down Hwy 1. Carmel is a great little town but having the staff pint out the good restaurants and places to see was wonderful. THe front staff even made copied of maps.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank rdodge2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
new york city
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We stayed at room 8 , one of the renovated rooms , it was beautiful , superb design and the warmest feeling you can ask for .
The only thing they can improve on is the breakfast , not so much selection and hard to eat in the room .

Room Tip: the renovated rooms #8 and 9 are the nicest.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NewYorkCityMol
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in room 11 and I must admit it was the nicest place I have ever stayed. I consider both my husband and me well traveled and tend to try to stay in the nicest accommodations when we travel. The room was cozy with a fireplace, down king sized bed, and even heated bathroom floors. It's modern decor was luxurious yet charming. I felt like I was staying in a room out of Architectural Digest. The staff was so friendly and knowledgeable about the area! The minute we arrived, they helped us park a large truck and trailer which in Carmel is not easy! The location of the Vagabond's House is great because you can easily walk to the beach, shopping, restaurants but it is not in the center of the crowds. The free wine and cheese from 4-6 PM was an added pleasure as was the high speed Internet and Netflix that was included with our room! If we ever return to Carmel, which I hope we will,we will definitely plan to stay in room 11 again!

Sent from my iPad

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Mmcg8
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I wish I could have scored this as 4.5, as it really was lovely and only let down by a few small things.

We stayed in room 3, it had been recently renovated and was beautifully done. The bedroom was spacious yet cosey. As a bedroom for adults I couldn't really fault it.

However we were travelling with our 15 month old daughter and it wasn't very practical for a child learning to walk and grabbing on to every piece of furrniture (ie. floor standing lamps, loose glass top on coffee table, telephone and lamp cables running along the floor). This was obviously a problem very specific to us, so I only mention it as a word of caution to other parents thinking of staying there with a child of a similar age.

The courtyard was beautiful, we enjoyed sitting out there in the evenings with a glass of wine and enjoying the waterfall and being close enough to our room to leave our sleeping baby in her cot.

It was great to have a kitchen in which to store some drinks in the fridge, but this was the one part of the room that I felt let it down. It was nice that it retained many of the older features of the property but it somehow felt a little less clean than the rest of the room. Both my husband and I commented that the smell in there was exactly like that of our Grandmothers' kictchens from our childhood, very strange!

The bathroom was very compact, but nicely done and clean.

Breakfast was served in the bedroom. As a couple travelling alone I would have loved this. However with a small child and in particular without a high chair, this was a challenge. I spent each breakfast trying to make sure she didn't drop food on the rugs or under the bed or preventing her from grabbing the coffee cups. Not the most relaxing start to the day! However we found the simple breakfast itself to be very nice.

Overall we very much enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Jimnem40
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night last night. Everything from check in to check out was 100% fabulous. Thomas and partner made us feel very welcome suggesting great places too eat. A glass of great white wine and cheese sat in the courtyard in early evening listening to the fountain was really relaxing. The rooms was fab with a comfortable king bed, great bathroom and small kitchenette. If you're in any doubt about staying here stop doubting it's fabulous!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank BrummieGirl_12
Weatherford, Texas
Reviewed June 28, 2013

My daughter, grand daughter (5 years old) and I stayed here for 5 days and had a truly delightful visit. It was our third time to Carmel by the Sea, but our first time to stay at Vagabond's House Inn. The location was very quiet and convenient, just off Ocean, but close enough to walk to shopping, restaurants, etc. The courtyard was lovely - we especially enjoyed the sound of the fountain at night. Breakfast was delicious and delivered on time each morning. The staff was very knowledgeable and friendly - the wine and cheese hour was fun and sherry in the room was a nice touch. My grand daughter loved having her own little nook and window just her size! We will definitely recommend to friends and plan to return next summer.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank fwlady
Singapore
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My husband and I, together with our 14 year old daughter stayed here for one night in June 2103 and loved it! We booked Room 5 which has a super comfortable king-bed and a cozy single-bed tugged away in a corner (complete with a curtain between the 2 for privacy). We selected our room based on the pictures and description on their website and weren’t disappointed at all. It was a very pleasant room with lots of character and lovely little touches to make it feel like someone’s home. I loved the fireplace and had it lit the whole time we were there although it wasn’t that cold :). The sound of splashing water from the fountain/“waterfall” just outside our room didn’t bother us- in fact we found it rather therapeutic and comforting.

The staff/management was very helpful and upon hearing that we would be setting off very early the next morning, suggested that a simple breakfast be brought to our room and kept in the fridge the night before (as breakfast wouldn’t be served until about 8.30am). When we returned to our room after dinner, we found that bagels, cream cheese, hard boiled eggs, cereals, juices and yoghurt had been delivered to our room. Nice!

Carmel is a lovely little town and Vagabond’s House Inn is well situated and convenient. The only sad part for us was that we arrived very late in the day and had to set off early the next and didn’t get to enjoy the inn/room fully. I would definitely love to come back and stay for a few days next time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family