Vagabond's House Inn
Carmel Bay View Inn(Carmel)(Great Value!)
$159
$150
Official Site
$549
  • Pool
Carmel River Inn(Carmel)(Great Value!)
$144
$135
Orbitz.com
Carmel Valley Ranch(Carmel)
$520
Coachman's Inn, A Four Sisters Inn(Carmel)(Great Value!)
$199
$605
$225
Hotwire.com
All reviewswine and cheeseeach morningsoft boiled eggfire pitbeautiful courtyardheated floorsbreakfast in bedother guestseach eveningfew blocksperfect stayshops and restaurantsbreakfast deliveredour honeymoonthe location is perfectgranolacarmel by the sea
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We booked room 5 three months in advance. We chose this room because we wanted something large, on the ground floor, since we were traveling with two dogs. One was a 4 month old puppy who had to go out frequently. So we didn't want to deal with stairs.

When we arrived, we were told we were in room 7, due to some construction not finishing on time. The manager said we were sent an email informing us of the room change, but we never got it. It would have been better if they phoned us. Room 7 is on the 2nd floor, and was not acceptable to us. After some discussion with the manager, we were moved to room 5A, which was on the first floor, although smaller (but also cheapter) than roon 5.

In order to compensate us for our trouble, they comped us one night's stay, and cancelled the extra charge for the dogs. We thought that was fair.

Once we got over the check-in problems, we loved our room and the Inn. I liked that breakfast was brought to the room; that made it much easier to eat with dogs. The location is great; in a quiet neighborhood, but still just a couple of blocks from the main part of town.

One complaint about the breakfast: the earliest it was served was 8:30AM. This was a problem for me since I had an 8AM appointment in Carmel. I solved it by ordering a late breakfast and eating it after my meeting.

Although there were lots of dogs staying at the inn, all were quiet and well behaved.

In spite of the issues mentioned above, I liked the inn, and would definately return.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank MyCatsNameIsBernie
Reviewed April 29, 2013

My husband and I were really looking forward to our stay at Vagabond Inn as my sister had stayed there previously and loved it. When we arrived, late in the afternoon, we were welcomed warmly and offered a glass of wine and then shown to our room which was lovely. The sun was shining through the window and we felt sure we could relax and rest in our beautiful room, as we were tired after 5 weeks of travelling. At eight o clock the next morning the noise began - ladders erected for painting, hammering and drilling. Unfortunately I wasn't 100% and wanted an afternoon nap but this was not possible. At 6PM I asked the receptionist when the noise would stop and also complained to her and she assured me that she would pass on my complaints to management. So far I haven't had an apology from the management nor any contact what so ever. I was sent an email evaluation from the Inn and once again I stated how disappointed we were and how we felt that we hadn't received what we had paid for but have not had any further correspondence. I understand that renovation is essential however it would be courteous for management to inform prospective guests that work is happening thus allowing guests to make an informed decision about their stay. It is always best for guests to leave happy rather than feeling ripped off as we did. I am sure that others will continue to enjoy this guest inn as it is quite special. Such a shame for us!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Elizabeth R
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We loved our night at the Vagabond's House! What a wonderful place. The first indication that we would love it was the outside courtyard covered with beautiful flowers and nice lounge chairs to sit and enjoy. The little waterfall was so relaxing to sit near. The cottage door opened and it just felt warm and inviting. From the beautiful bedding and fireplace to comforts of home like coffee pot, small fridge, it all worked to make a wonderful experience. The front desk staff were so kind and happy to have us at their place. Would highly recommend staying here. Location is excellent to town and beach.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 18, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed our 25th anniversary stay for 3 nights. It was so spacious and romantic. We loved the fireplace and the breakfast delivered to the room each morning. The special touches were very much appreciated. Very comfortable bed and nice heat lamp in the bathroom. Convenient to town and parking was easily available in the private parking lot

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Donna G
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Location:
good location, close to shops and restaurants

Room/Bathroom:
tiny room & bathroom, cupboard smelled like someone was storing salami in there

Service:
unfriendly; free daily wine & cheese was a joke (small selection of cheese with tiny pieces - better not to offer it at all); breakfast not suitable for a B&B (choice of hard boiled or soft boiled egg with bread or toast, some cereal and served in room or better put I front of the door)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple