“excellent service and interesting menu”
Review of Basil

Basil
Ranked #31 of 159 Restaurants in Carmel
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Ocean & 7th
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Six of us went for a Friday night dinner and had a great time. Food was very good - the morel mushrooms were a delicious treat. We also shared the meatballs for an appetizer which were excellent. The ahi was perfect. Presentation was very appealing. The service was excellent. The restaurant is very small, but cozy. Looking forward to going back.

Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

We stopped at Basil for lunch once we got into town for our two night stay. We sat outside, the inside was a bit cramped. Our table was wobbly on the outdoor patio. We were given menus and were ready to order our drinks but the server walked away. Once we did get out me drinks we were told the specials for the day. One of them was corn chowder. I asked if it was vegetarian and after a slight hesitation, the server said yes it is. The soup came out after a bit and I began eating it. It was full of chicken. When I pointed this out to the server, he said "no, it is vegetarian, I asked the cook!" I showed him the chicken and he came back a few minutes later and apologized, saying that he specifically asked the chef if it was veggie and was told yes. He offered to bring me another appetizer.
Once I got the bill I thought for sure he would have removed the corn soup and not charged me for the new appetizer but this did not happen.
When he greeted the table next to us I heard him describe the soup of the day as "chicken corn chowder". Being a vegetarian for more than 15 years I always ask specific questions and this is the first time this has happened to me. Servers need to know exactly what they are offering and what they are serving.

1  Thank SaraMarieCalifornia
Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

The food is tasty - as others have said - but not amazing by any stretch. We were recommended this place on our last night here, but so disappointing - and we are really not the types to grumble like this. Chef was really nice, we saw him because he had to come out and help the overworked waitresses! But it's simply not OK to wait an hour for expensive food served in small portions. And the seating arrangement is terrible - if you are a couple, you may be just inches from the next table; this will probably not be intimate dining. After eating here, we had to find somewhere else to eat dessert... So many better places in Carmel.

2  Thank sthelena
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Stopped in for a late afternoon cocktail and ordered the calamari.
It was so good. Just perfect for a bit of nosh.
We went back for dinner a couple of days later and had the short ribs. Great sauce.

1  Thank maggiesebastian1
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

Stumbled across this little gem on oir first night in Carmel. Very small place with some outdoor seating. Everything we ate was incredibly fresh and tasty. Prices were very good.