“Best meal in Carmel”
Review of Basil

Basil
Reserve with OpenTable
Basil is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #29 of 161 Restaurants in Carmel
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Ocean & 7th
new york
“Best meal in Carmel”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We got an 845 reservation and totally fell in love with this place. I got the short rib which melted in my mouth. Totally delish. My husband enjoyed his veal very much as well. Good service, cozy and very tasty!

Visited February 2013

New York City, New York
“We really love this restaurant”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stumbled across this gem of a restaurant as we were wandering around the shops. I second most of the positive trip advisor reviews. I had the arugula salad with figs and my hubby had the vegan ravioli (filled with kale, peppers, zucchini and mushrooms) in a tasty tomato sauce and we would strongly recommend both. The food was super fresh and wonderfully tasty.
I also had the basil ice tea (free refills) which was refreshing. Our bill was less than 30 bucks. What a steal. It is also worth mentioning that the service was spot on. Our waiter was friendly, helpful and attentive, without being intrusive. We're heading back for lunch tomorrow!

Aventura, Florida
“yum! and so fresh!”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

The food was fabulous! Everything was so fresh and the presentation was so nice. The basil spread with the bread was delicious. I had a filet which was wonderful. The restaurant only seats 22 people inside so it's an intimate setting. Our server Ashley was very attentive and knew all about the different dishes and wines. I highly recommend this restaurant.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Amazing food and cocktails!”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We ordered the carpaccio for appetizer - super fresh, very good! Maybe a teeny bland. But I love that I could taste the ingredients.

I had a special that was prawns and calamari, linguine, in a brandy sauce - sooo GOOD!

Hubby had the venison - OMG!!!!!!!!! To die for

We tried the following cocktails: An.. Rossa martini (the best!), margarita (great tequila!), Rye brandy one.. all great!!! Oh and the basil martini - strong drinks and very tasty!!

the bread comes with this garlicy, green looking spread - very good. Service was great! We went last night, on a Friday, I called and was able to get a table for 4 hours later that night - 8p. :) Small restaurant loud inside, i'd probably sit in the patio next time - more space. water service was great so was the bread service.

Also prices were super great! For the amazingly fresh food you get super good - I'm into local and organic so I really appreciate this chef and I'm glad he's keeping it affordable! :D Keep up the good work guys, please!

Also - very CA restaurant :) Love the decor ;)

Okinawa, Japan
“Great local food in a comfortable setting”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

This restaurant was tucked away on San Carlos street but I was attracted by their focus on local and seasonal foods. I noticed that their wine menu consisted of most, if not all, local Carmel wines while their beer menu focused on organic offerings. The food was superb and their entrees were surprising large. They have an large outside seating area which I saw a local couple utilize since they brought their dog. The inside was smaller and more intimate. It is good place to bring a date, not too casual but not too formal. I had the squid with black ink linguine and my husband had the roasted chicken. The squid was extremely tender, nothing like calamari which in my experience always tends to be on the chewier side. The sauce was nice and creamy. The chicken was roasted to perfection leaving it very juicy. The veggies, rutabega puree and sauce that came with it were equally yummy. Due to it's indoor seating capacity, I would suggest that it's best to come with a party of 4 or less, unless you're ok with sitting outside.

I highly recommend Basil and look forward to coming back next season!