“lovely stay! would recommend!”
Review of Svendsgaard's Inn

Svendsgaard's Inn
Ranked #10 of 25 Carmel B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

this place was completely delightful-- staff was helpful & accommodating, prices were reasonable, location was great and rooms were clean & cozy! svendsgaard's is located w.in a few minutes walk from ocean ave. and is also right across the street from brophy's, a local watering hole-- perfect for a nightcap before drifting off to sleep in a most comfortably dreamy bed!
the inn also has a number of partners in carmel which meant discounts or complimentary items at a number of really really great restaurants! this was more than welcome as carmel can be expensive but i 100% feel that the svendsgaard's inn helped us have the best & most cost effective time possible w.o having to sacrifice anything!

• Stayed: October 2013

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Was a little difficult to find but was pretty worth it. Our room was in a "hidden" corner where there were 4 rooms, but it was noiseless .they put breakfast outside your door in a lunch bag with some cereal, oj, Danish, just ok. But it was clean, quiet, ez, for a one nite stay and an ez walk to town.

Room Tip: If u have luggage, stay away from the down the steps rooms that go past pool area
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2013

my girlfriend & i stayed here. Nice place, friendly staff, jacuzzi in the room and they bring you a lovely breakfast basket in the morning with newspaper and lovely snacks! Will stay here again if i'm around. Lovely view over the pool area, clean room.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2013

My husband and I stopped here for 2 nights in September and absolutely loved it. The room was clean and the bed really comfortable. We had a ground floor room and enjoyed sitting at the table and chairs in the garden each morning and evening. I would agree that the walls are a bit thin but this didnt spoil our enjoyment atall. The pool was clean and warm and the staff really friendly and helpful. I emailed the hotel to let them know it was my husband's 30th birthday and they placed a bottle of red wine in our room which was a nice touch. I would definitly stop at this place again although would ask for a room with a fireplace and jacuzzi bath.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Even though I have stayed at this hotel (as well as their sister properties) in the past, I will not be patronizing them any longer.
To sum up a long story, my husband and I were looking to get away before the arrival of our new baby and have always loved Carmel. Sadly, our budget this year would not accomodate the inflated prices that come with this charming little town. But having stayed at this property before, I received an email offer for 50% room rates (Sun-Thurs) through the end of the year. We had already arranged to go camping (all our limited budget would allow) October 9-11th and in doing so coordinated child care, pet watching etc. But this opportunity seemed perfect!
The Svennsgaard online booking said they had 8 categories of different rooms available for our travel dates. To get the special you had to call to book, at which time they informed me that the special did not begin until October 20th. I asked if they might be willing to extend the deal to us anyway given our travel dates are only 10 days prior to the start of the deal and we have been loyal customers, also referring many family and friends in the past. The woman put me on hold to check with someone else and came back saying that all they could offer me is 10% off the standard rate. I politely said that wouldn't work for our budget and hung up.

I then went back online to check out their rates only to find they offer a "best available rate" that is 20% off their standard rate. While I aknowledge the hotel does not have to honor dates outside of the special deal window, it was very offensive that the "best they could do" for a loyal customer is only half of the discount they post online to anyone. Especially when it is clear that they have at least 8 different room categories (who knows how many actual rooms) open and that will not be filled as those dates are less than a week away.

While this review has no actual bearing on the property itself, it does reflect very poorly on the management that they do not value loyalty or returning customers. I will never recommend the Inns by the Sea group of hotels to anyone nor will I patronize any of their establishments in the future.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank magpie139
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We stopped at the tourist info booth and was recommended this place. Great place to stay, reasonably priced. Lots of extra touches - coffee, tea and cookies in the lodge. Loved the am breakfast delivery - each morning a breakfast picnic dropped at your door including juice, cereal, fruit, yogurt, pastry. Different selection daily. Bathroom was a bit dated.

Room Tip: We had the king suite with jacuzzi. View of the lower garden, which was very nice. Table and chairs...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We visit Carmel every year in November and have paid some eye watering hotel bills in the past. For the last two years we have stayed at the Svengaard Inn, Intend to do so again this year and we have to say it is excellent value for money.

First of all the place is neat and the gardens well kept, there are excellent parking facilities and the hotel is well located. The staff are first class, polite and very helpful and the VIP prices for returning guests is very welcome.

This place does not pretend to be a 5 star hotel, it is an Inn and offers well proportioned accommodation of an acceptable standard and best of all it gives you a great base from where you can explore beautiful Carmel on foot. Sure there is some noise sometimes, the place is opposite one of Carmel’s best watering holes, which I actually appreciate! It is wrong to criticize the hotel for the noise from passing trade as it has an open aspect. However, you could investigate taking a room at the furthest extent of the property to avoid such nuisance - we do and it’s fine.

We are really looking forward to returning this year.

Room Tip: Take a room furthest from the street if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple