“Convenient and comfortable”

Ranked #13 of 26 Carmel B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Convenient and comfortable”
Reviewed June 29, 2012

We enjoy the breakfast delivered to the door every morning. The pool is very nice. The rooms are large and spacious for our needs. The fireplace is wonderful when the weather gets cool. I like the discounts with some of the restaurants in town. The walk to town is easy and fast.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank ILIrene80

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed June 26, 2012

The hotel "Svendsgaard's Inn" is a good hotel in Carmel by the Sea. They allow dogs which makes it the perfect destination for us. The rate per night is reasonable. We stay at least three times a year there. The staff is nice. Check in is easy. Locations is central. We stay at the "Svendsgaard's Inn" hotel out of the following reasons: location, dog friendly, okay pricing, two person hot tub in room, fireplace.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RondaM6
preston
Reviewed June 21, 2012

spent 2 nights here at the beginning of june. on the whole we enjoyed are stay and had no real issues with the hotel , the room was comfortable and the delivered breakfast is a nice touch. the furniture and the rooms in general seemed to be a little dated, this wasnt really a problem for us however the price we paid for the room i expected a little more, i guess though that we were charged the going rate for this kind of property in carmel which is probably higher than other areas.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I booked this at the last minute with no expectations other than that they allowed dogs. I ignored the cranky reviews and am glad I did. It's not a 4 star place, but it is cute and cozy. It is great for dogs. Also, leave breakfast at your door in the morning, along with a little treat for the pooch :-) We will be back!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Hoohee
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2012

the inn is in a fabulous location, the reception is welcome, clean and tidy. Obviously money has been spent maintaining the communal areas. Likewise the pool and gardens are well maintained and pretty.

However, going into the room it smelt of stale smoke, not from smoking inside the room but from the communal ash tray being located directly outside our door.
The fixtures and fittings were what I would expect from a 1 star B&B broken bedside tables and wardrobe doors. Burn marks in both bed covers (2 bed room). The carpet was dirty and very shabby. If I had a dog with me it would make me sigh with relief that my dog was not going to damage the carpet an more than it was already.

I KNOW everywhere in Carmel is expensive, and location location location, however, it doesn't take much to fix broken furniture, and throwing out bed spreads with holes in them. Tis almost like they don't care.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank BitFrustrated
Reviewed May 30, 2012

I took my wife there for her birthday weekend and was embarrassed at the very cramped quarter with very dated furniture. Room had no hair dryer, or a microwave. The one positive item is the fact that the hotel is dog friendly. The staff was not accommodating. I asked to switch to another room and was told by the front desk that I could not move because they were sold out, however 30 minutes later a traveler asked if rooms were available and was told yes. I told the front desk person that I did not think it was fair, I should have gotten the room when I asked to be switched and was told that it is hotel policy not to switch guests who book online. I will never stay there or recommend the hotel. I paid nearly $200.00 to me in cramped quarters for three nights

Room Tip: Don't get the rooms closest to the parking lot. That's where our tiny room was located.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ka6mbk
Covina, California
Reviewed May 24, 2012

We have stayed at Svendsgaard's Inn more than any other Inn the the point where it feels like home when we arrive. The rooms are nicely appointed, the beds are very comfortable and we love having our light breakfast delivered to our door in the morning. We always have great service. When we could not work the Direct TV remote the night manager, Andy, came to our room and instructed us on how to use it. Once when we arrived very tired and found our next door neighbors full of energy and having lots of fun, there was no problem in changing our room to a quieter area. Love the home made cookies in the afternoon and the hot chocolate ready to make on a cold evening. My husband and I love to stay at Svengaard's Inn. And...my cousin and I come about once a year to celebrate our birthdays. So this means I personally, if I am lucky enough to get their wonderful 50% off coupon, can come twice a year. I don't even look for any other place to stay because Svengaard's Inn is my comfort zone.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple