“Please go and see to believe!”

Aubergine at L'Auberge Carmel
Reserve with OpenTable
Aubergine at L'Auberge Carmel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #61 of 159 Restaurants in Carmel
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 7th
Description: Executive Chef Justin Cogley's and Executive Pastry Chef Ron Mendoza's cooking philosophy is built first and foremost on spontaneity. With access to an array of outstanding local products as well as ingredients and artisan purveyors from around the world, Cogley and Mendoza focus on incorporating these elements into their ever-changing menus.
Castlegregory, Ireland
“Please go and see to believe!”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I was so pleasantly surprised by this hotel and restaurant! From arrival to departure the experience was amazing! The hotel staff were so welcoming and nothing was a problem. The Aubergine restaurant was the best meal I have ever experienced. To be honest we were blown away. The food and service were out of this world. For once in my life i was lost for words. Yes, it is expensive but in my opinion it was worth every cent. I will definitely be back and will fondly remember our stay here. Perfect place for the special occasion!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank AislingAndTom

San Francisco, California, United States
“Carmel's hidden gem for high style foodies”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We're fans of Gary Danko, Meadowood and French Laundry, so we 3/4s planned our recent Carmel get away around dinner at Aubergine. We were NOT disappointed! Initially I was going for the four courses but my dinner mates all wanted the $125 a head chef's tasting menu and it's the whole table or nothing, so I put aside my fears of geoduck and dove in head first. Wow, was that a meal. Forget eight courses, there were more like 12, maybe 13 -- we lost count. Everything was perfectly proportioned and delightful, even if I still couldn't tell you what 1/2 of it was. The dining room is delightfully intimate (only 41 diners we understand) and the service was impeccable if a tad bit impersonal (not that I want fawning, ingratiating wait staff, but there is such a thing as too reserved and I feel they were just a tad on the side of too reserved). The meal was a 3 hour extravaganza, perfectly paced and professionally attended. We had a little chit chat with the table next to us as we all kept score of the Giants win in Game 3 of the World Series. There was some minor discomfort with another guest who clearly was not comfortable with four gay men having dinner in his restaurant, but it did not reflect poorly on the staff or establishment, just on his rude behavior -- really, some people must never get out. Just as we were saying our goodnights we were invited in for a quick tour of the kitchen and a very warm welcome from the chef -- really the perfect ending to our dinner. All in, a little over $225 per person, so be prepared. Well worth the money if you relish this level of taste and food sophistication. Well done, Aubergine!

Visited October 2012
3 Thank Mark B
California
“Disappointing”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Looked forward to a wonderful evening but this was disappointing. The food was OK but not the fantastic experience we had heard was the norm. A tab for Two at $450.00 should have produced a feeling of having one of the most memorable meals of our life.

I have had better food for less money. The decor is elegant and the service impeccable, if not just a tiny bit "snooty".

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank sujanuary
West Barnstable, Massachusetts
“worth every nickel”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Great experience. The food is truly fantastic. Service was phenomenal. We ordered the 4 course meal, and were pleasantly surprised w little extras from the chef. certainly one of the best restaurants we have ever eaten at. Expensive, but well worth it for that special occasion. Only 12 tables, so be sure to make reservation.

Visited October 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
“Exceptional Food, Fantastic Service”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Aubergine is a standout restaurant; one of the best meals I've had in my life. My wife and I chose the 4-course menu. I'm an odd eater and do not eat seafood. Despite the fact that the menu was predominantly seafood based, the waitstaff had were able to adapt the fixed menu without even asking the chef and came up with a perfect meal.

Each course was cooked to perfection and the portion sizes were ideal. The presentation of the dishes was so superb, we felt bad eating them (not too bad though!). The guinea hen and abalone were standouts. The chef's incorporation of diverse temperatures and local flavors were a welcome surprise. The waitstaff were attentive and incredibly knowledgeable about the cuisine.

A lot of negative commenters here appear to upset with the cost. Aubergine is expensive; prepare to pay $200+ per person. That being said, stellar food and service cost money and we happily spent ours here. My wife and I would highly recommend this restaurant to any couple and look forward to coming back next time we return to Carmel.

• Visited October 2012