1,303 results
All reviewscalifornia markettime sharepacific edgeocean viewwood burning fireplacevacation clubsunset loungebig surtownhouse suitefull kitchencarmel highlandspoint lobosmain buildingtwo storyviews are spectacularliving roomroad noise
Reviewed July 2, 2010

Great location - stunning. However, the rooms are really only standard. We had free nights and I would never ever pay the full price for the room. We had two rooms and a child in each room and we asked for a rollaway bed and received and air mattress that was deflated about 1 hour into the night so that was not good.
The location is stunning and the view is breathtaking but the staff are a little snooty and the rooms are ok. We asked for early check in and were in our rooms at 4PM....! Thank goodness these were free rooms.....

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2010

Having read the prior reviews I was not sure what to expect. I stayed here for free on points. (would have been about $400 otherwise). We really enjoyed our experience. We were given a renovated room (516) which was on the far edge of the property with a huge balcony. The views of the ocean from the deck were great. The room had a real fireplace which was nice in the evening. The ground are nicely landscaped with lots of flowers. The food at the restaurant, Pacific's Edge, was very average. You're really there just for the great view of the ocean. Anyway, pleasently surprised by this property. If I had to pay for the room, I think the property is too expensive but everything in the area is pretty pricey for what you get.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 22, 2010

I was completely stunned and pleasantly surprised when we checked in to our fabulous one bedroom vacation club room (not a member though) for a 5 day stay. Pictures do not do this hotel justice. The location was ideal providing easy access to Pebble Beach for the US Open and to me, this is a much nicer location than anything in Carmel-by-the-Sea, simply for it's stunning ocean views and quiet, calming setting.

Check in was an easy, accurate breeze. A nice welcome was the wine tasting in the lobby lounge. I think I found my new favorite bubbly there. The Caraccioli Rose.... Nothing better than toasting the dramatic ocean view and cooler weather than with a glass of cold sparkling. The hotel staff from reception, valets, bellman, room service, restaurant, housekeeping to the manager, Greg Messenger were all perfectly warm and polite and great at their jobs.

Our room, #318, was the choice room at this property. Parking is right out front for come and go ease. The room was impressive with an open plan, an unbelievable bathtub, comfy living space, kitchen and the best bed i've ever slept on in a hotel. All areas can be closed off with giant barn doors for privacy. I was totally impressed with the decor choices in the room. My favorite thing was the fireplace. All you do is light a match and then the next day the fireplace butler comes and gets it all clean and setup for you again.

The hot tubs are scattered throughout the scenic property, which I loved and flowers grow in shocking color and abundance everywhere you stroll. The view from the balcony was the icing on the cake. Beautiful sunsets over the coast to the front and to the side, was the soaring pine tree forest.

We used room servce several times. It's expensive, but we thought it was worth it each time. The Pacific Edge Restaurant and the lounge off the lobby were both excellent. Our service was fantastic, even on a full, packed night. Although it would be so easy to pop in to the nearby Safeway for groceries.

The heated pool is so much prettier and serene than the pictures show. Our little boy loved swimming more than anything. I loved the abundant access to towels and comfy chaises poolside. We saw a bride and groom walk by. A small wedding here would be so nice.

Carmel is my new favorite place on earth and if I went back, I would stay here in Carmel Highlands at the Hyatt. I loved the nearby beach, the shopping village with the Carmel Valley coffee shop that we popped into daily, great restaurants (RG's for burgers and Stravaganza for breakfast) were both great with a child. Next time, I'm going to make time for a picnic on the nearby Carmel River beach and a drive up to Big Sur. A bicycle ride (available by the lobby) or a hike are also on my list.

If you are torn between staying in Carmel by the Sea or Carmel Highlands, stay here. You'll be so glad you did!!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank NativeAustinite
Reviewed June 14, 2010

The hotel lobby and restaurant are very nice.

However, we were very disappointed in the room. Very small and dated. My wife and I (along with our baby), were all over each other for 2 days.

We were originally staying at the Hyatt in Monterey, but due to overbooking, we were offered the option of staying at the Highlands Inn.

The location of the hotel is excellent. But the guests are a bit stuffy. I guess for what this hotel normally charges per night, one would expect that type of crowd.

We will look to stay at an alternative place on our next trip to Carmel.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 12, 2010

Rooms:
We were in a newly renovated King that overlooked the pacific and was absolutely breathtaking. Everything in the room was brand new and showed no wear and tear. The room was quite spacious with two patios. One facing the pacific and the other facing the pool.

Service:
We found the front desk to be quite warm and helpful. The bellhops/valets went out of their way to help you. Valet parking is complimentary but as the valets emphasized they work for tips. That was my biggest complaint that they were vocal on they are paid on tips, each time I went to get the car. Housekeeping was efficient each day. Turndown typically came by on the earlier side but if you asked them to come back later they were more than happy to come back at a later specified time.

Food:
We ate breakfast each morning at California market and found the food to be excellent but the service somewhat hair brained. Some mornings service was great some it took ten minutes to get a re-fill for coffee. We did eat one night at Pacific’s Edge and found both the food and service was excellent. We had Bart as our server who was phenomenal. The sommelier was very friendly and had a plethora of suggestions. (as one would expect) Both of our entrees were cooked to perfection and with the accompaniment of the sunset we could not have asked for more. The one drawback was the rooms don’t have A/C. Now I am from the east coast and the employees swear if you leave the door open you will be comfortable. We were there in early June and found it somewhat hot at night. I could not imagine it what is like in August. We slept with the sliding glass door open with the screen closed, but the option of A/C would have been welcome.

Facilities:
The fitness was certainly an afterthought , it is in a tiny room below the Los Lobos suite. We never found it crowded and has two ellipticals, two treadmills and a small weight collection. The pool area was well maintained, but no full time employees dedicated to it or anyone to take drink orders. Everything else was in good condition.

Overall, we would absolutely return to the Highlands Inn. We stayed here on the Hyatt Big Welcome Back promotion, but I am not sure I would stay here at room rates in the $500-$600 range. Overall we enjoyed the resort and its facilities and when in the Carmel area will be our to go resort.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple