We stayed in this charming and unique resort tucked into the mountains along the Pacific Coast Highway on a family vacation (mom, dad and 2 teenage daughters) and could not have been happier even though our room had a minor flood (more on that later). When we arrived we had planned to have our daughters sleep on cots in our room (which we had used points to book btw) but the room configuration was a little quirky so we asked for another room. Although fully booked they managed to find a room for them and gave us a great price for it too!
The hotel is actually a series of semi attached individual rooms/tree houses/townhouses. I can't really describe it except to say they really used the hillside to its best advantage and created this sort of crazy tree house sort of hotel. That said-we loved it-but beware if you struggle with stairs-although I am sure they have ADA compliant rooms-many of the freestanding rooms require a bit of walking and stairs. They have ample help for schlepping your luggage so if you can manage some stairs I strongly suggest you request an ocean view room near the pool-hot tub.
The hot tub literally hangs off of the cliff and you feel as though you could float into the rocky ocean coast below. I strongly suggest planning a sunset dip in the hot tub before dinner-a breath taking view that is life changing-even as I write this review 2 years after my visit:-)
We had two separate rooms-each with a nice sitting area, standard in room coffee set up, renovated baths and comfy beds. My husband and I had drinks in the bar which has walls of windows overlooking the ocean-we were so enchanted as we watched a storm roll over the coast that we had a dinner of heavy apps/ bar food and stayed in the glass room. Just magical. Upon returning to our room around 10:00 we noticed that there had been a leak from the room above and someone had been in our room to mop up the mess including a large pile of wet towels on the carpeted floor near the extra sink outside of the bathroom. We called the front desk and were met with immediate and profound apologies and while still on the phone two bellmen showed up to help us move our luggage. They explained that there had been a flood in the room above ours but they didn't want to disturb us having our dinner so they found us a new room (which was a good trick since they were fully booked) and just took care of our room to ensure that none of our belongings had been damaged (none had-they moved our luggage to ensure that).
The room they moved us to was lovely and the room was almost as nice as our first room:-).
Breakfast is served on a large deck again-hanging over the ocean-with delicious food from a great selection-there is something for everyone from eggs, bagels and french toast to gourmet oatmeal, pastries and more.
Throughout the hotel you'll also find the most magnificent photographs of Carmel and other natural wonders from Bob Kollbrenner (a protege of Ansel Adams). We were so enchanted with his work we purchased a signed photo of his from his Carmel storm series-an investment we enjoy everyday.
Of course, perhaps the best part of our stay was checking out the next day. (Sadly we only spent one night). Because of the flood incident, they comped our entire stay for both rooms (including dinner) and deposited our frequent flyer points back into our Hyatt account. Just a class act all around.
When returned from that vacation we canceled our Marriott card and instead got a Hyatt card. I have to say, Hyatt hotels have really got it going on. Especially the Andaz brand.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Indulge yourself. Hyatt Carmel Highlands is a picturesque retreat overlooking the Big Sur coast with epic views of the Pacific Ocean, and a stunning natural environment made even more special by our impeccable staff. Our Carmel by-the-Sea hotel is an oceanfront retreat that seamlessly blends the amenities of a large hotel with the refined charm of a boutique hideaway. Dine at the award-winning California Market at Pacific's Edge restaurant. After a morning of yoga, take a dip in our heated outdoor pool or unwind with a relaxing spa experience. If it's outdoor activity you crave, we offer mountain bike rentals and maps for hikes, jogs and bike rides around the stunning Carmel area. Let the Les Clefs d'Or Concierge arrange a day trip to explore Big Sur or a round at legendary Pebble Beach. Host an intimate sunset wedding ceremony or intimate reception on our redwood deck. Feel inspired by the breathtaking vistas that surround our Carmel hotel. Your experience is limited only by your imagination. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Priceline, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hyatt Carmel Highlands reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hyatt Carmel Highlands Hotel Carmel
- Highlands Hotel Hyatt Carmel
- Carmel Highland Inn
- Carmel Hyatt