The Hyatt Carmel Highlands is as good as a Hyatt Place or a Hampton Inn, plus a fireplace, a horrible bed, and terrible insulation. The main problem is the hotel is a category six hotel (6/7), and the room was $700 a night, and thus it should be held to the highest standards. Therefore, our stay there was extremely disappointing.
. Beautiful Carmel
. Big balcony
. Prosecco glass offered at reception (in plastic glass)
. Old property in need of renovation - must have been nice in the early 80's
. Fireplace aside, very ordinary room
. Barely average bathroom, with the same bathtub you would encounter in a 2-star hotel
. Bathtub's drainstopper was half broken and crap
. Worst insulation ever - have a video showing a strong wind sipping through the door (while it was not windy outside); similar to a fan at half speed, blowing constantly through every side of the door. I'll try to post a video showing this. Of course, woke up sick in the morning
. Terrible bed: bed has a humongous (5-inch?) non-removable pillow-top which destroys your back after two hours
. Barren balcony, not really usable
. Were supposed to get an ocean-view room; but we received what I would define as a half-ocean view room. Proper ocean-view rooms do exist. Our room was similar to the garden-view room in the level below us, with the difference that our view was not fully covered by the trees
. TV was broken upon arrival; gotit fixed on the 2nd day
Service related cons:
. Service knocked on door at 9am on a Sunday, even though we were checking out that day
. Jacuzzi area was dirty and had no towels
. Ran out of matches (important for the fireplace). After the first night I purposefully left the matchbox open for the hotel staff to notice it only had two matches left; they failed to notice
In short, totally unacceptable for a $700 room in a four star resort.
It should not be classified as a Hyatt category six hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Indulge yourself. Hyatt Carmel Highlands is a picturesque retreat overlooking the Big Sur coast with epic views of the Pacific Ocean, and a stunning natural environment made even more special by our impeccable staff. Our Carmel by-the-Sea hotel is an oceanfront retreat that seamlessly blends the amenities of a large hotel with the refined charm of a boutique hideaway. Dine at the award-winning California Market at Pacific's Edge restaurant. After a morning of yoga, take a dip in our heated outdoor pool or unwind with a relaxing spa experience. If it's outdoor activity you crave, we offer mountain bike rentals and maps for hikes, jogs and bike rides around the stunning Carmel area. Let the Les Clefs d'Or Concierge arrange a day trip to explore Big Sur or a round at legendary Pebble Beach. Host an intimate sunset wedding ceremony or intimate reception on our redwood deck. Feel inspired by the breathtaking vistas that surround our Carmel hotel. Your experience is limited only by your imagination. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hyatt Carmel Highlands reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hyatt Carmel Highlands Hotel Carmel
- Highlands Hotel Hyatt Carmel
- Carmel Highland Inn
- Carmel Hyatt