We spent a weekend recently (3/1-3/2014) at this resort. We'd received an offer to stay at a discounted rate (with a commitment to sit through their 90 minute timeshare presentation).
We were pleasantly greeted upon arrival. The main building is a lodge-type look with huge fireplaces. Check in was painless. Their public restrooms are dated and dank. - not a great first impression.
We ate breakfast at their California Market restaurant. Because it was a rainy weekend, we couldn't sit outside and take advantage of the view. The food was ok - not the best, not the worst - my sister was served a glass of old tomato juice (which should have been noticed by either the waiter or whomever poured it, because it was so old it was carbonated). We did not eat in another restaurant while staying there.
Our room was a studio condo (which a screen partition to block out the living room area). We were told that our room was halfway thru the update that the property is undergoing. During our timeshare tour, we were shown an updated room and there wasn't much difference other than TV placement and different chairs.
My sister slept on the pull out couch while my husband and I had the king size bed. If it matters, there is one TV which can't be viewed while in the bed IF the partition is closed.
The fireplace and plentiful wood right outside the door is a great touch, especially in Carmel, which is typically chilly. The inroom coffee machine and local coffees was nice, except it would have been better to have creamer instead of those horrid powdered creamer packets. These rooms typically cost $400-500/night -- I can't imagine paying that kind of money and not having actual liquid creamer for my coffee in the morning. This is easily corrected, but a big miss in my opinion. Touches like this is what set brands like the Four Seasons, St Regis, Ritz, etc apart in the luxury market.
The property is located on a hill. If you have mobility issues, this is not for you. Narrow winding paths lead you to your room. There are plenty of steps and stairs, uneven walkways. It's lovely, but those requiring assistance would find this quite challenging.
If you were hoping to park your car for your stay in Carmel and have a nice walk into town, this is not your hotel. The walk would be along a very busy highway (and about 5 miles away).
Due to the weather during our stay, we didn't explore the property nor outdoor amenities such as the pool.
Summary: for the discounted price paid, this was a very good option for us. We would not consider returning at the posted rates.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Indulge yourself. Hyatt Carmel Highlands is a picturesque retreat overlooking the Big Sur coast with epic views of the Pacific Ocean, and a stunning natural environment made even more special by our impeccable staff. Our Carmel by-the-Sea hotel is an oceanfront retreat that seamlessly blends the amenities of a large hotel with the refined charm of a boutique hideaway. Dine at the award-winning California Market at Pacific's Edge restaurant. After a morning of yoga, take a dip in our heated outdoor pool or unwind with a relaxing spa experience. If it's outdoor activity you crave, we offer mountain bike rentals and maps for hikes, jogs and bike rides around the stunning Carmel area. Let the Les Clefs d'Or Concierge arrange a day trip to explore Big Sur or a round at legendary Pebble Beach. Host an intimate sunset wedding ceremony or intimate reception on our redwood deck. Feel inspired by the breathtaking vistas that surround our Carmel hotel. Your experience is limited only by your imagination. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, TravelUp, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and getaroom.com so you can book your Hyatt Carmel Highlands reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hyatt Carmel Highlands Hotel Carmel
- Highlands Hotel Hyatt Carmel
- Carmel Highland Inn
- Carmel Hyatt