1,305 results
All reviewscalifornia markettime sharepacific edgeocean viewwood burning fireplacevacation clubsunset loungebig surtownhouse suitefull kitchencarmel highlandspoint lobosmain buildingtwo storyviews are spectacularliving roomroad noise
Reviewed July 25, 2008

We were up & down the central coast to celebrate our 20th anniversary. We had an excellent room by the pool, ocean view, WOOD burning fire place with complementary chocolate strawberries & wine. The Pacific Edge was a great restaurant also.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 14, 2008

Well I have mixed feeling about this resort. It charges Four Season's prices but is not near a Four Seasons. The views, however, are stunning and you can tell when it was refurbished (my best guess is late 1990's) it was probably nice but refurbishing again should be on their schedule.
Let me prefice this review by saying that I am very particular--
PRO's:
1. The views, the views, the views
2. Illy coffee (not Starbucks--YEAH!)
3. Fabulous lounge/ sitting area with more views
4. Fireplaces with free and abundant firewood
5. Mini kitchenette
**did I mention the views??

CONS:
1. Dated interior rooms
2. You cannot---I repeat CANNOT get a cot in there. There is one king bed and one queen sofa bed (with a better than average sofa mattress). They give you a blow up mattress if you need a cot (we had 5 people), but there is no room for this. In order to accomodate the blow up mattress you had to move tables and chairs and navigate cautiously around the mattress. Do not think you can stay here is you have 5 people since it is a townhome--it won't work!
3. Supplies are stingy--only four dishes in the kitchen and 4 forks, etc. Also, as mentioned before --we had 5 people. We had to request more plates and forks --which they brought but we had to request lots of things.
4. The binoculars they have in the room and the ironing board were broken. The refridgerator leaked and you could hear the dripping. Maintenence told us to leave it on low to defrost while we were there. Why do I have to defrost a fridge while I'm on vacation???
5. Housekeeping was poor--they never gave us replacement conditioners ---we always questioned whether or not they were there because nothing looked particularly cleaned.
6. No air conditioning--which is o.k. most of the time, but one day was humid and I would've like to have air.
7. Balconies are not private--I had wonderful neighbors to chat with, however, there were times I would've liked to be out by myself without conversation.
8. Pancakes--Yuck!
9. Mattress that needed replacing --It tilted toward the middle--

***this was a difficult review to write because I was so impressed and taken with the views that I tended to be willing to overlook some of the other issues that normally would've been a deal breaker for me. It doesn't appear that Hyatt is good with maintaining the rooms. I'll let some of my photo's speak for themselves.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank sjrbt
Reviewed July 8, 2008

I was so disappointed to have paid $688.50 (AAA rate) for one night for the ocean view townhouse and not have nice furnishings. As you can see from the photos, the furniture is mismatched, chipped, and scratched. The pillow was so worn on the chair, we were reluctant to sit on it due to it looking very dirty. The baseboards were likewise banged up. Carpet was worn as well. The ocean view from the bedroom was blocked by an evergreen tree. The balconies needed repainting and the decking material looked as though it had never been stained or treated--very, very rustic.

When I called the front desk to express my disappointment, they explained that the interiors were scheduled to be updated in the fall. They were very nice in showing us another townhouse. It was a little better and we did move.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank wsmorton
Reviewed May 23, 2008

As past Hyatt Hotel partons we were contacted by the group selling time shares at Highlands Inn. We had always wanted to stay there but the $350 per night rates were a little out of our travel budget. Their offer of about $100 per night (with a $100 on-site restaurant credit) made this a deal we could not refuse. Wonderful accommodations (a room with a coastal ocean view that could be photographed and framed), a very friendly and helpful staff and immaculate grounds made this two day stay a lasting memory. The 90 minute time share presentation was truly a "no pressure" program explanation and tour. We acutally took up more time than that to give it very careful consideration. We will return to Highlands Inn, even at the full rack rate if necessary.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank small-bucks
Reviewed May 18, 2008

This place is desperately in need of updating the rooms. It really should not be able to call itself a Park Hyatt with rooms that are run down and dated.

The hotel location is wonderful, just south of Carmel and on the northern edge of the Big Sur region. The view is terrific, and rooms have balconies for sitting. We also had a fireplace in the room that was great to enjoy as we went to sleep, though it is so well vented that it provided very little heat to the room. Bed is comfortable as are the cozy robes. All this is very nice, but there were a couple issues that left us disappointed with our stay.

For starters, the crowd is pretty old and square. Plenty of blue hair and cashmere cardigans to be seen in the public areas - and I think the staff mainly attend to these folks. It's not that we wanted a lobby scene like at a W or something, but we did feel out of place in this stuffy environment.
We are in our 30s an were treated rather coldly by a stiff lady at check in. Though according to the bellman the hotel had plenty of availability, we were given a tiny room with a diminutive shower stall - straight out of a 1980s Comfort Inn. Why assign guests to one of your worst rooms when there are plenty better available? Also, our balcony did have the nice view, but it was also level with the chimneys of the units below ours. It was hard to enjoy that great Pacific air with smoke blowing in our faces.
The furniture was old and peeling, the balcony door did not slide or lock easily at all, the carpet was dingy. Were these things a big deal? Of course not, but none of it is appropriate both for the price, as well as the "Park" designation of the hotel.

Bottomline:
Stay here only of you get a great rate and be ready to insist on a good room. Go with low expectations: expecting a 3 star motor lodge that happens to have a great bed and fine dining (but outrageously overpriced) restaurant on site.

Much of the property is dedicated to time share units. These are the rooms in prime locations, highest up on the hill. I think Hyatt should have these guys dedicate some more of the resources to updating and maintaining the neglected hotel part of the property. We will definitely return to the area, but unfortunately not to the Park Hyatt Highland Inn.

• Stayed: May 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank OutOfOffice2008