I have been wanting to check out this hotel for years due to its reputation and stunning location, so my wife and I decided to give it a try.
As small an item as it is, the first thing that struck me is the free parking. I am getting tired of giant fees like this after paying up for lodging, so this was a nice start. The check-in area is quite nice with several employees there to help us. Our bell person came in very handy as our room was below the pool area with lots of stairs and no elevator. Depending where you are located, this place can be brutal carrying luggage. It is a cliffside location and is vertical in nature. I tipped the bell person double due to the huge effort.
The views from the main building, lounge and restaurant are breath taking. We took advantage and enjoyed great service, two giant fireplaces and an excellent meal. Everything about the Highlands Inn is very romantic. Drinks and/or dinner are worth doing here whether you stay here or not. It is totally cool and the dinner view is the best I have seen in Carmel. It is one of the best I have ever seen.
While the room was very nice, we both noticed that the furnishings were beat up a bit. It's not horrible, but it is obvious for such a high-end place. I also immediately noticed that the room was not wired well. The wifi was just fine, but plugging in to work, browse or recharge required getting on my knees. Not good for the 21st century. We were located on the entry drive and not too far from Hwy. 1. The road noise was so bad the first night that I used ear plugs. The units are older and not sound insulated. We could also hear almost every step of the people above us.
On the bright side, the room and bed were very comfortable, we had a fantastic view of the coast from our room & porch, and the wood burning fireplace was a great feature. The hotel keeps wood stocked and handy, so we used the fireplace a lot. Very nice.
Given their pricing, I am not certain if we would do this again, but it is such a cool place and location that we may. We do not regret staying here one bit, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a romantic location in Carmel with stunning views.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Indulge yourself. Hyatt Carmel Highlands is a picturesque retreat overlooking the Big Sur coast with epic views of the Pacific Ocean, and a stunning natural environment made even more special by our impeccable staff. Our Carmel by-the-Sea hotel is an oceanfront retreat that seamlessly blends the amenities of a large hotel with the refined charm of a boutique hideaway. Dine at the award-winning California Market at Pacific's Edge restaurant. After a morning of yoga, take a dip in our heated outdoor pool or unwind with a relaxing spa experience. If it's outdoor activity you crave, we offer mountain bike rentals and maps for hikes, jogs and bike rides around the stunning Carmel area. Let the Les Clefs d'Or Concierge arrange a day trip to explore Big Sur or a round at legendary Pebble Beach. Host an intimate sunset wedding ceremony or intimate reception on our redwood deck. Feel inspired by the breathtaking vistas that surround our Carmel hotel. Your experience is limited only by your imagination. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hyatt Hotels Corporation and Jetsetter so you can book your Hyatt Carmel Highlands reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hyatt Carmel Highlands Hotel Carmel
- Highlands Hotel Hyatt Carmel
- Carmel Highland Inn
- Carmel Hyatt