“good, not great place”

Ranked #19 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
Covington, Louisiana
“good, not great place”
Reviewed February 27, 2007

After the Post Ranch inn at Big Sur, anything would have been a letdown, but this is a pleasant enough place. We chose it for location to main street, beach, etc., as we had a short stay there. It looks very European, staff was minimal in January and somewhat dim (no clue how to get to Pebble Beach), but bistro restaurant was great for dinner. Don't bother with the sister Italian restaurant down the street they recommend. Room was spacious, but doors are incredibly LOUD, and bang shut all night it seems. Rooms are dark, not any view anywhere to speak of. I would stay elsewhere next time, but looking at reviews, not sure what else there is.

• Liked — location, food
  • Disliked — staff, noise
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Debra1500

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Santa Rosa, CA
Reviewed October 2, 2006

I booked the hotel months in advance as I was going to take my wife to a concert at Sunset Center. I booked a suite with a partial ocean view, which was the only disappointment. I would not pay the extra for no real view.
The hotel is very European and has that feel. If you are looking for a St. Regis or Four Seasons, this is not it. That said, if you are looking for a terrific staff, a great bed, heated bathroom floor, a courtyard where you can eat food from a local market and have some wine and relax, and a magnificent restaurant, this is for you. And four blocks from the beach to boot!
They called days ahead of our stay and inquired about restaurant reservations. I accepted and what an experience. Eleven courses over four hours. Wouldn't do this every stay but you have to do it once. The sister restaurant Bouchee is excellent as well.
Finally, the farm breakfast is fabulous. If you eat in the small dining room you can hear the oranges being juiced and the coffee beans being ground for the coffee press. The fresh chocolate to spread on your croissant is not bad either.
Would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — The feel of the property
  • Disliked — The partial ocean view
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank KnobCreek
San Jose, California
Reviewed September 10, 2006

I selected this hotel with the aim of having a luxurious, romantic getaway for my 37th wedding anniversary. Because of that, I was willing to spend a lot of money . . . with the anticipation that the hotel would be really fabulous. I don't mind splurging if I get what I pay for, but in this case I was very disappointed. The room was small just for starters. The bed that was advertised as being a queen turned out to be a double. My husband and I like to read, but the room didn't have a comfortable reading chair -- there just wasn't space. Instead there were two straight back chairs that served no purpose whatsoever. There wasn't even room for a chest of drawers, so we needed to leave our underwear and our chest-of-drawer type stuff in our suitcases. There was a nice, roomy closet, however, and the room was very nicely decorated.
We requested a wake-up call the first morning. We got the call half an hour late with an apology from the woman at the desk saying that she hadn't noticed the note that had been left. There is no on-site parking, so parking is all valet, with staff parking the cars in neighborhood spots. The two times we needed our car, there was no one immediately available to get the car and we had to wait around -- not for long though, but still this was a bit annoying.

• Liked — The location was excellent. There was a beautiful courtyard.
  • Disliked — The room was too small. It did not have a comfortable reading chair nor a chest of drawers.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't expect this place to have large comfortable rooms.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
9 Thank bananas4traveling
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed June 4, 2006

The chap from the UK said it best !
Where do they get the nerve to charge 4 to 5 star prices for a 2 star hotel ?
There are just to many nicer places to stay in the immediate area without having to pay through the nose, or at least get your monies worth without having to feel insulted or taken advantage of.
If not for the restaurant, they would have been out of business long ago.
Sorry to have been so negative.

• Stayed June 2002
10 Thank Baitzum
San Francisco
Reviewed May 2, 2006

While I expected the rooms at L'Auberge to be older and not as well insulated as newer hotels, I didn't expect the noise level between rooms to be so annoying. I must also agree with the reviewer from the UK. The walls are paper thin and the flushing of the toilet in the room above you does indeed sound like a rushing wall of water.
Even the couple walking in the room above mine was loud and disturbing. Normal level conversations in the courtyard or on the street are clearly heard in the rooms.

The steps leading to upstairs rooms are narrow and can be difficult to manuver for all but the very adept. Not a place to stay if you have any mobility issues as steps are necessary for even the downstairs rooms.

Talked to several locals who felt the restaurant was over rated. Didn't personally dine there, so can't speak to this directly. I did dine at their other restaurant, Bouchee, it was good but pricey.

I'm having a hard time understanding the fabulous rating this inn recieves from Conde Nast and Small Luxury Hotels (which they proudly display in the rooms). It was average at best.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
9 Thank Arewethereyet?SF
Redwood City, CA
Reviewed March 20, 2006

L'auberge likes to consider itself a five star, luxury hotel. I think "luxury" is going a bit far. The primary concierge was a bit odd. But, the rest of the staff were wonderful and I felt guilty that we weren't supposed to tip them (tips are included in the hotel fee). We ate at the Bistro and it was one of the best meals I've had in years. Breakfast was also a simple treat. Our room was on the small side considering the price. Even though it was recently renovated, the shower leaked after each use and tiny is the best word to describe the stall. We didn't have any noise issues because it was rather cold and nobody sat in the lovely courtyard. One of the best features of the hotel is its location. We really didn't need to use the valet (and they misplaced our car) because of the ample street parking. L'Auberge is in the heart of town and only four blocks from the beach. It's not that I didn't enjoy my experience at the hotel. I just wouldn't say that it is a five star hotel. The concierge frequently liked to remind us that they are listed in the Small Luxury Hotels of the World. I just can't say it ranks that high in my opinion. Maybe if it had an ocean view or the concierge was less snobby or if the shower didn't leak all over the floor. I guess it's a relatively new hotel and they are still working out some kinks. But, I will say the staff was very attentive and the restaurant was superb. For downtown Carmel, it's probably the nicest place we've stayed.

• Stayed March 2006
5 Thank LRice68005
Reviewed March 9, 2006

We also had a mixed experience at L'auberge. The bed in the room is fabulous, and the bathroom is nice, but the funky TV coming out of the wall is strange and the noise from the courtyard can be an issue. We spent a couple delightful evenings drinking wine out in the courtyard, which is filled with colorful flowers and nice decor - very European. However, waiting 45 minutes each morning in that same quaint courtyard for breakfast was inexcusable. They could have served the coffee and croissants while waiting for the "coddled egg", which was not worth the wait! We did have a phenomenal meal at their restaurant, with creative dishes, attentive service, excellent wine advice, and a walk through the kitchen to meet the chef at the end. We would highly recommend having the tasting menu. The location is great, and it's very easy to park in the block just beyond the hotel. There is only one receptionist/concierge, so if you're lucky enough to approach her first you receive great service. If someone else is being served, however, it can be 5 minutes to half an hour before you can check in or out. Overall, I'd say the hotel is overpriced and needs to work out some kinks - but we did enjoy the experience.

• Stayed July 2005
8 Thank nibos
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carmel
La Playa Carmel
#6 of 25 in Carmel
Bernardus Lodge & Spa
Bernardus Lodge & Spa
#1 of 2 in Carmel Valley

Been to L'Auberge Carmel? Share your experiences!