“Terrible Service, and oversharged to boot!”
Review of L'Auberge Carmel

L'Auberge Carmel
Ranked #20 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
San Francisco
“Terrible Service, and oversharged to boot!”
Reviewed December 20, 2007

My wife and I decided to spend part of our 10 year wedding anniversary at L'Auberge Carmel...big mistake. We were sold on a so called romance package that the staff utterly failed to deliver on. We were promised a bottle of champagne and assorted chocolates at check in….which the staff forgot. The following day, the masseuses for our couples’ massage, which was part of the package, not only never showed up, but the staff did not bother to inform us that they were not coming. We checked in when they were 15 minutes late and were told they were on their way, when they were not there 30 minutes later, they front desk phoned and then informed us that they were not coming. Thanks for nothing again. We were promised a romantic drawn bath complete with rose petals and other sundries…again the staff had forgotten, though at this point we figured they would and had reminded them twice and so the bath was drawn, late. And to cap it all off, the staff completely screwed up our bill. The manager herself handed us a bill for two nights that was well over $2,000.00 dollars. This after we had paid half in advance! And the manager had the nerve to be snotty about it, forcing us to waste a good hour fighting. The manager miscalculated the bill the second time through, still overcharging us many hundreds of dollars. When it was finally straightened out, there was not even an apology for the hotel’s total failure and disastrous treatment. I have had better service at a Motel 6 – I advise anyone staying her to be exceptionally cautions, and look over your bill twice!

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — The staff
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
14 Thank Eoral

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Tennessee
Reviewed October 2, 2007

I'm surprised @ the rating of this hotel. Some good things for sure, VERY cozy bed, cleanliness in room, the nuts and pistachios, the charm....but we definitely have mixed feelings and would not stay there again. We went to relax, there was no air conditioning, so you had to open the windows to get any cool air in the room so you could breathe and sleep, that would be alright, we like fresh air, but the noise outside the window, with people talking, trash trucks, other vehicles kept waking us up in between the people upstairs who we could make out almost what they were saying it was so loud and clear, one night they stayed up til 4:30 in the morning, and stomped around, yelled and laughed. Being frequent travellers, I have earplugs for these occasions. Still could hear the thumping. I really don't know what they were doing. Not really their fault for wanting to have a good time, but covering our heads with pillows just made us more angry. I called downstairs that night to ask them if they could ask them to be quieter and they did. Anybody walking on the stairs or using the facilities was very loud. We were afraid to make any noise in our room for fear they could hear us just as well.The 1st night, we walked home in the rain & I got a chill, the kind you need a hot bath to cure. I turned on the tub, it was lukewarm, I waited to see if it would change. NOPE. I called down and asked if they could fix it. He said it should be fine. I asked him to come up and see what I was talking about, he did and said, "this has never happened before, sorry" He said he'd leave a note and tell the front desk in the morning. We checked the shower and sink, they had hot water, just not the tub, very strange. Next morning, around 10ish, we hadn't heard anything, we had our complimentary breakfast brought to our room,we didn't get the chocolate though, but we enjoyed it very much. I called down to see if someone was coming to fix the tub, they didn't know about it. we said we were heading out soon, noone came. I put on a ball cap and we headed down to the beach. we came back around 4 hours later. I checked the tub, same story. I called down & asked the girl if they physically checked it, the girl said, "yes, they checked it and it's working fine, there's no reason for the shower and bathtub to be different temperatures". I agreed that it was crazy they could be different temperatures, but I hung up knowing they hadn't checked it by how she was talking to me. I hung up to do one last check again, showed my husband, he said it was like pool water. I called down and was a little frustrated by then, you pay over 400 dollars for a small room, you have a beautiful, deep clawfoot tub that you can't even use!!! I asked her to come up herself and feel the temperature, she said she would, she didn't come up, she sent someone else. He agreed with me it wasn't working, left & came back about a 1/2 hour later and worked on it. He was able to get it to really warm, kind of hot, but not the kind that if you sat in a tub for more than 5 minutes and it had cooled down, and you needed to freshen it up with hotwater, you could run it for a minute and it would feel hot again. By the time the water sat in the tub, the shell of the tub basically cooled it down already. I asked him if he could do something about it, he said he doesn't do anything with the main plumbing and decide what the temperature is for the whole building. He was kind of embarassed for the hotel it seemed, and said he was sorry he couldn't make it better. Someone was definitely skimping on the hot water tank. It's the most disappointing bath ever, we were there for 3 nights and I had one lame bath..that lasted about 5 minutes and I actually timed how long it took to get about 6 inches deep and it took a 1/2 hour. It was about 1/4 of the way full in a huge, deep tub, the water pressure was pathetic....wow. None of the staff mentioned that there was a daily 20 dollar service fee that covered their tips, and I guess it's not their job to do so, but they should mention it right when you pick up your keys to check in, so we didn't realize that and kept giving the staff money, which isn't that big of a deal, we don't mind tipping, but when we checked out, we were told about the 20 dollar fee per day and were quite surprised for that extra charge. In their defense, our company travel agent booked the room, it is possible she may have known this and didn't tell us, but I still think they should mention it when you check in. Most of the staff was very nice. However we were in and out of there a lot and when we weren't dressed up per se, we got asked twice, when we walked in, "you're staying here?" almost like, "are you sure you belong here?" We had asked to move rooms they said it was full & there were no rooms to move to. We were essentially stuck and they knew it. The room could have been discounted, we were paying for the use of the gorgeous tub weren't we? I've been in customer service before, I would have done something for my hotel guests, maybe a dinner voucher, a bottle of wine, a small but thoughtful gesture to show that the establishment cared that I couldn't and wouldn't be able to have a nice bath while I stayed there. That's real customer service, leaving the client with a smile. When we walked out we looked at each other and said,"we'll never stay there again". All I can say is, the service is not what you would expect from a praised hotel of this sort. If they really went above to treat you right, you would overlook some of the other things. The courtyard is nice. The hotel restaurant is very small and you can hear everyone's conversation, the sound travels well and it doesn't feel very private, there's a minimal amount of tables in it also, maybe 10. We travel ALOT, ALOT, ALOT. Definitely go back to Carmel, definitely not the L'Auberge.

• Liked — bed, room was nice, breakfast was delicious
  • Disliked — service, noise, didn't feel like they really cared about our issues
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
8 Thank gobucks77
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed August 26, 2007

The property is really nice and the rooms are recently updated with nice ammenities. At $400/night we expected more though. The staff was dismissive and often rude. For example. We asked that a roll away bed be removed the second night of the stay and after repeated reminders it was never done. Also the drapes in the room were broken and would not open or close. We visited the lounge for cocktails one evening and were charged $60 for four drinks which seemed quite high considering the total lack of service. It took almost 20 minutes to get the assistance of a server who sat making plans with his friends on the phone at the concierge desk. This property has quite a bit of potential only it seems that bad management and lack of service has taken hold. At $400/night we expected a higher class experience. The bathroom is the best part of the room with a nice soaking tub and shower with high end ammeneties.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
9 Thank sdbtrflygrl
Illinois
Reviewed August 13, 2007

My husband took me here for my birthday and what a wonderful and romatic small hotel this is. Sophisticated, cozy, comfortable, and definitely so romantic! Staff is very attentive and great at recommending cool places to hang out in town.
We were only able to stay one night but wished we could stay another!! Big bed, smooth sheets, heated bathroom floor, snacks in room, turn down service. Check in is greeted with fresh juice cocktail.
Our room was very comfortable, a little small, but it was fine for the one night. We both had a peaceful sleep--one window faced the courtyard and the water coming from the fountain was very relaxing and soothing.
We did not visit the hotel restaurant, which we understood to be very good.
Totally cozy place, a little on the pricy side but you have to remember where you are. (You will not find a Hampton Inn here!) We'll definitely return and stay more than one night next visit. This is an adorable, european-feel, quaint hotel in Carmel.

• Liked — The quaint and romatic feel this hotel has.
  • Disliked — Bedroom was too small and eating breakfast was a challenge on the large folding table set up in the room.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Traceymari
chicago, il
Reviewed August 8, 2007

My husband and I loved our stay here. The reception area and courtyard are inviting and full of charm. Our room was upgraded upon arrival and was very spacious and clean. The bathroom was also spacious and appeared to have been redone in the past 2 years.

The location of the inn is absolutely perfect to explore the shops of Carmel. The Inn itself is quiet and has so much architectural character. The staff is attentive and very helpful with directions, suggestions and parking.

The morning breakfast was quite good and we loved the option to have it brought out to the courtyard upon request.

I would highy recommend this hotel -- to us it was a real gem at a reasonable price.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lizrogatz
Philadelphia PA
Reviewed June 14, 2007

L'Auberge -- easily one of the best hotels we have stayed in. The amenities and personal service don't stop coming - my husband said it perfectly: It's like the people who run this hotel are close friends of the family. The hotel and accommodations are fairly upscale, but without the highbrow attitude. We were greeted with complimentary valet parking, homemade fresh strawberry soda and cookies, and a concierge who went out of her way to make last minute dinner reservations. We even came back late from dinner and the chef prepared us a special dessert (even though they were about to close the kitchen). The rooms are spacious and immaculate, and they leave treats like nuts and cookies in the room and lobby all day. The bed's the best I've ever slept on, and the bathroom has heated floors! The courtyard is simple and sweet; perfect on a sunny warm day. Carmel is a beautiful little town, and we were lucky to have found this special spot.
And P.S. for those who love the little details -- the shampoos and lotions are from H20 (which really made me happy).

• Liked — remarkable service and friendly attutide
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank dmurphy
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed May 7, 2007

Our stay at L'Auberge was a wonderful experience. We were a little concerned after reading the recent reviews but we had already booked. The location is perfect for exploring the town of Carmel and very easy access to get to 17 mile drive. Our room (#18) was very well decorated, flat panel tv and a nice heated floor in the bathroom. The rain shower lost pressure 1 time but was no big deal to my wife and me. The hotel affiliated restaurants are great. We had dinner twice at Luca. The staff were very helpful. There is no parking but we had no problems with them parking our car or retrieving our car when we needed it. Very nice breakfast included each morning. I would recommend this place to anyone and we would stay again if we are in the area. More economical than Peeble Beach or Spanish Bay.

We typically stay at very nice, unique places (e.g. Sonoma Mission Inn and Spa in Sonoma, Castello di Velona in Tuscany, Ferragamo Hotel in Florence, The Cranley in London, Waterford Castle in Ireland) and this was on par with many places for the price.

We think you would enjoy your stay at L'Auberge, especially if you enjoy the european accommodation experience.

• Liked — Location and European Style of hotel
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank WorldNCTraveler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carmel
La Playa Carmel
#10 of 25 in Carmel
Pine Inn
Pine Inn
#22 of 25 in Carmel

Been to L'Auberge Carmel? Share your experiences!