“Not the nicest, but a quaint feel”
Review of Pine Inn

Pine Inn
Ranked #22 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
Orange County, CA
“Not the nicest, but a quaint feel”
Reviewed September 12, 2009

Not one of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed in, but probably one of my favorites. We needed a last minute reservation for Labor Day weekend and booking.com directed us here as one of the few places with a room left. The price was in our budget ($189) and looked fairly nice from the photos, so we went for it.

First, great location! It's located right on a main street in Carmel so we were easily within walking distance to great shops, fabulous restaurants, bars...and the beach, too! Monterey is a short drive away and if you walk straight down to the beach from the hotel, you can see a great view of Pebble Beach golf course to the north.

The hotel has old charm appeal. It has not been rennovated to comply with earthquake standards and I think as a result, the walls are lumpy and some of the doorways are slanted. If this bothers you, don't stay here. For myself and my boyfriend, we loved the uniqueness of the place and appreciated these little quirks and oddities as contributing to the fact that it is a stay we will never forget.

The rooms are rather small, but having a large walk-in closet in our room definitely helped as we did not have to leave our bags and such lying across the floor of our room. What they may lack in luxury, they make up in personal touches...the next day's weather report left in your room the night before, a turndown service complete with chocolate mints, a newspaper left at your door in the morning, and a bottle opener fastened to the door of the bathroom! The pillow-top mattress was quite comfortable and the padded headboard and extra pillows made sitting up to watch TV quite relaxing.

The staff was great! We received a very friendly greeting at check-in and the front desk staff was always fairly chatty and helfpul. The bellmen were very friendly and helpful as well. They even allowed us to store our bicycles in their manager's office, which we could access at anytime and gave us peace of mind, not having to chain them up outside to some desolate bike rack.

My only real complaint was the showers. The showerheads were angled so that they were directly overhead and they were quite high, reducing the force of the stream from an already weak water pressure considerably. It took forever to shampoo and rinse my thin hair, can't imagine what someone with long thick hair would do.

Due to the short duration of our stay, we did not get a chance to check out the hotel restaurant/bar Il Fornaio, but it looked delicious!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Polish first
South Orange County, CA
Reviewed September 2, 2009

I remember back in the 70's how nice the hotel was and I was not disappointed with my visit last week. The staff was exceptional. Very helpful and enlightened us with history and info regarding the antique Grandfather Clock in the lobby. I plan to visit the Pine Inn once a year from now on. South Orange County, CA.

San Jose, CA
Reviewed August 31, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for our 45th wedding anniversary. The Victorian decor is both beautiful and homey. The lobby is beautifully decorated as was our room--"a favorite of the staff." Though it is the oldest hotel in Carmel, it is very clean and very attractive. The staff was extremely helpful, even to the point of making our dinner reservations for us. The inn is located just four blocks from the ocean, and the area around the hotel has block after block of unique shops and restaurants.

Millburn, NJ
Reviewed August 25, 2009

The Pine Inn is a beautiful hotel in Carmel, CA. When I entered, there were about 10 steps up to the front desk. I have problems with steps and asked if there was an elevator. I was told no, but I could have the room that was handicap accesible. I didn't know what to expect. What we got was a room that was spectacular. The decor was elegant, the bed was heavenly and the stay was delightful.
Susan Cynamon
Millburn, NJ

NY
Reviewed August 25, 2009

my wife and i were very pleased with the pine inn. the lobby is stunning (people were coming in off the street just to gawk at the old fashioned, red wall-papered lobby) and our room was comfortable and charming. the service is attentive: it was clear to me that they were trying to bolster their tripadvisor ratings, which i view as a good thing because it means they are working hard at customer service. the building is old and charming...a great b&b style place to stay. the location was perfect - right in the heart of carmel and within walking distance (really a 2-minute drive) of the beach. i highly suggest getting up early and taking a walk on the beach in carmel, then you can come back for the complimentary breakfast at 8am. not sure how the other hotels were in carmel, but this place was a highlight for us on our central coast swing.

Sacramento, California
Reviewed August 10, 2009

Pine Inn (Carmel-By-the-Sea) ,California
We would like to compliment (General Mgr., John Lloyd, and his entire staff Mgr. Donna, Ali, Karla, Elizabeth, and Lucille) as they are professional, and customer service oriented.

This past weekend, I had hoped to get a room reservation at the Pine Inn (this was short notice). Donna, made it happened as they were booked for the weekend.

Hotel rooms at the Pine Inn, are always clean and immaculate. Our room is cleaned daily and supplied with clean towels and toiletry. The housekeeping staff is exceptional.

On short notice, I have wanted to make a dinner reservation. Staff has made those dinner reservations for us, when I couldn't. We appreciate their efforts.

We always look forward to our accommodations at the Pine Inn Carmel-By-the-Sea.),CA Jerry and Sandy Kundert, Sacramento, CA

Portland, Oregon, and Edinburgh, Scotland
Reviewed July 28, 2009

This hotel is much bettter than its TripAdvisor ratings suggest. It is centrally located in the charming town or Carmel and convenient for golf and sightseeing on the Monerey Peninsula and for Steinbeck country - not to mention Highway 1, Big Sur and the Hearst Castle. It has a beautiful and tastefully decorated lobby and an exceptional restaurant. We were in the "West Wing" which is in fact across an alley from the Inn itelf. The room was small but well appointed. Overall, I thought this was an exceptional hotel and incredible value for money.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple