“Beautiful hotel in downtown Carmel”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Pine Inn

Pine Inn
Ranked #22 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
Santa Barbara, California
“Beautiful hotel in downtown Carmel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

We come to the Pine Inn once a year to relax and get away from it all! The service is excellent and the rooms are charming and very clean! It's like stepping back in time. The location is perfect! Right downtown! We walked every morning and evening. The other reason we love it is Il Fornaio, the wonderful Italian restaurant right in the hotel! There is a wonderful breakfast included in the price of the room on weekdays. They have a great Happy Hour, with delicious pizzas! We love the whole experience of being at the Pine Inn, and getting away from it all!

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Polish first
Santa Fe
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

I realize this is an historic property and some chic shabbiness is in order, but I would prefer more modern amenities, especially air conditioning during a heat wave. I had a 3 story hike to my room. Otherwise it is well-located, has almost enough enclosed parking less than a block away and the breakfast is very nice.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank girardot
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

Can't beat the location. We were in the annex, which I don't normally want and even though I made this reservation well in advance of arrival, but it wasn't too distant or disappointing. It was a very nice accommodation with a restaurant and bar, which, btw closed at 10 pm. We weren't quite ready to call it a night on the weekend, but we didn't want to venture away at that hour either. It's within walking distance to everything, including other restaurants and some shopping. I felt a little like a school child b/c we had to wait in line each morning for our food vouchers for breakfast. A little awkward when I haven't had my coffee yet.

Room Tip: There was a bit of noise in the annex room. It was also the area where the cleaning people got thei...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

I traveled home to see family and to avoid offending different relatives who wanted me to stay with them I opted for the Pine Inn which I have known since I grew up in Carmel and lived a few blocks away in the late 60's through the 80's. I made the mistake of thinking it was a full service hotel and one thing I want is in room coffee or room service which is limited. I was in their Penthouse with a pleasant fireplace, living room, and bedroom with King bed. First the room. The rooms are cluttered with too much furniture. The bedroom has huge imitation Chinese urn lamps that are too big for the antique side tables where you cannot place anything. I was facing the back of the hotel where the garbage is picked up MWF. The bathroom is seriously dated, 1980's with mildew in the showers. But the thing that irked me is I knew the previous owners and was surprised that while its nice they have a good Italian Restaurant which is liked by locals, they have no room service until 730am and no in room coffee makers, For the 380 a night I paid I thought this was cheap especially when you read that the owners spent million on renovations but on what I am not sure. Again I have been going to this Inn for 35 or more years but usually stay at The Highlands Inn or elsewhere. When I realized they had no coffee I was told that due to the hotels age they worry about fires and running coffee makers, this is what the manager told me, not the GM but the manager on duty, they worry about fires. I responded that for the money they claim they spent on remodeling I would have brought the electrical up to code instead of more lattice work in the public areas,,,,they love lattice. Park is ok, and free in the back in you can get a spot. I could not stay there and moved the Highlands Inn after one night. I paid them a one night penalty for cancellation since they offered me no option. For this kind of money I could have bough a can of coffee and coffee maker and stayed...and maybe I should have to save myself some trouble but honestly the management here was not interested. By the way if you stay at The Tally Ho Inn next door, it is owned by the same people and they do not have coffee either. I recommend The Cypress Inn, or some of the other properties that will cost you less, are clean and where they will give you coffee. The free breakfast means nothing to me at The Pine Inn if I have to wait an hour for coffee. Also seniors should avoid the penthouse rooms as the steps are steep and you may be able to get a bellman.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank colonelscott
jlloyd54, General Manager at Pine Inn, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Good Morning,

I wanted to respond to this review in a positive manner. It is entirely true that we do not have coffee makers in the guest rooms. The Pine Inn is an Historical Landmark within the city of Carmel-by-the-Sea in addition to being the 1st hotel built in the city circa 1889. The ownership has tried over the years to maintain much of that turn-of-the-century feel within the hotel and the guest rooms.

As noted in many of the other reviews of the Pine Inn, one can see that the guests really like the elegant ambience of years past not to mention the service provided by the staff.

John Lloyd
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Not only is the location wonderful, but the property is too. Our room was very nicely decorated and the people at the front desk were very nice. Carmel is such a beautiful location with great shops and restaurants.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

This place is a little gem! We just had a 1 night stay here this week
Perfect location in the very centre of Carmel just a 5 min walk down to the beach (downhill but uphill coming back) Carmel itself is so pretty! Lots of boutique shops art galleries and quaint restaurants. It really was a beautiful place to potter around.

Our room at the Pine Inn was very cute if a little small but we could see the sea and the bed was very comfy. Breakfast was nice the next day and the hotel had free WiFi and parking.

We had to call down and have someone come and show us how to use the shower in the morning as it was a little complicated but other than than no complaints at all!

Staff very friendly and we really wished we could have stayed longer.

All in all a great option in this quaint beachside town

• Stayed June 2013
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

First time back to Carmel in a decade and first time at Pine Inn. Quaint old hotel in heart of town within an easy walk of the shops and restaurants. Rooms are scattered on 3 levels amongst dining, coffee and shopping areas. Wonderful breakfast included to feast on at the sunny porch. Delightful staff always willing to assist. Parking conveniently adjoins hotel.

• Stayed May 2013