“Hotel like the town is perfect” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pine Inn

Pine Inn
Ranked #19 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
“Hotel like the town is perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Carmel was well placed on our 2 day drive up from LA to SF. Great hotel with many unique features. There is a car park but as we arrived late afternoon this was full. We parked in the street and the bell boy told us if we were not parked in the right direction we would proberly get a ticket. Not surprised as everything in Carmel is just so perfect, maybe to perfect. Room was big and comfortable, staff were willing. Chackout the reception as it is lovely. Eating out in Carmel can be expensive so we searched around until we found where the locals and staff eat. Breakfast in the hotel was plentiful and very good. Watch the waitress as she likes to make up her pay on large tips. Next morning drove to Monteray via 17 mile drive, well worth the toll fee as the coast line is beautiful.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Polish first
Fresno, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We just stayed at the Pine Inn again . We had room 15 & were very happy with the room!! We love this hotel!! The staff is great & we were delivered a beautiful basket of goodies with a bottle of champagne. It is so centrally located , it makes it easy to get around. We will always stay here!!

Room Tip: This is an old hotel, so don't expect large bathrooms! The charm outweighs the size!! Even my hu...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Gatos, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

The Pine Inn is a less than 90 minutes from the San Jose area, so it's a great option if you are in the Bay area and want to tour the Carmel-Monterey area. The hotel has been around since 1903, back when tourists arrived by horse. These days it's been remodeled and surrounded by other buildings, so it's a bit difficult to imagine what the roof line was like back in the early days. Don't let it's age deter you. The rooms are updated, clean, and comfortable. I booked a Superior King so I could get an ocean view and was quite pleased with it. See photos.

The hotel has its own parking lot across the street that's behind the hotel. I found a spot, but I overheard a few people who arrived later in the day saying it was full. In that case, there is on-street parking but you'll need to move your car in the morning.

During the week the hotel has a deal with Il Fornaio (located in the same building) to offer breakfast at a discount to guests. I was there on the weekend, so no deal for me. However, I found the coffee bar in Il Fornaio quite convenient for a quick breakfast.

Room Tip: Book one of the superior rooms with a view of the ocean.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

This was a really quaint little place and the breakfast was fantastic. There was an outdoor parking facility across the road for hotel guests. The room was lovely though everything is a bit crooked due to the age of the building but that added to the quaintness. The rooms were very clean and comfy beds. Carmel itself it a great place, well healed people living there with a beautiful beach almost comparable to Aussie beaches. The drive up highway 1 is also well worth it the coastline all the way meant lots of stops and photos once again I can compare it to the beauty of Great Ocean Road.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Let me say, that I was incredibly excited to stay at this hotel. We arrived in Carmel, after a long day of traveling and couldn't wait to explore Carmel. Upon arrival - the very friendly front desk person talked us into upgrading into a 'superior' king room with a view of the ocean. It's important to note that the ocean is a LONG way from this hotel - so while you can 'see' it - think more like 'seeing the ocean is a distance or on the horizon' you will not have any ocean sounds or smells. Our room was in the main building - which is old. I am good with that - I like charm, small staircases .. no problem. But ... the room.... I am not exaggerating when I say it was like walking into the spare bedroom at your Grandmothers house that has not been used in awhile. There was a funky musty odor - I can only imagine what is lurking in the dark, dark carpets or super heavy bedding. But alas, we were tired - so we chalked it up to jet lag -we should have never paid for the room "upgrade" ... but we moved on. It was pretty chilly the weekend we were there - so around 7pm, we tried to turn on the 'heat' in the room (again, think old radiator at Grandma's house) and it wouldn't turn on or get warm. When I called down to the front desk I was told that they didn't "turn on the heat until 9". ummm....huh? ok. They did bring up a space heater - which was nice, again ... the service here is great. We had a fantastic dinner in Carmel and the location of this hotel, cannot be beat. The next morning we awoke to the sounds of the sidewalks being blown off and the trash from the bar downstairs being dumped into the trash cans (insert loud bottle breaking and crashing noises here). Not ideal. Basically - the hotel really needs an update. It was disappointing based on the website - my expectations were something more rustic, yet elegant. I don't think the word elegance really belongs with this hotel from what I saw. Visit was fine, but the next time we are in Carmel, I wouldn't stay here. Service was fantastic! Great Staff! We were there on the weekend, so we didn't have the breakfast buffet. We founds a parking place easily in their lot, no worries there.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is NOT on the street side - you will have loud noise early in the morning.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Apexchick
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

The Pine Inn is well located, the service friendly, the decor nice, the room was comfortable although the hallways and door frames are crooked (part of charm). The attached Il Fornaio restaurant and bar/bakery are a wonderful plus. All of that is good and even the value was good.

The disappointment was the lobby. When we choose a hotel, especially during a cold (high 30s-40s at night)/rainy time of the year, we look carefully for a lobby that we can enjoy so that we can be both out of our room and out of the weather. This lobby was so promising but left us so frustrated & feeling uncared for.

First issue, it was freezing. We asked about the cold a few times and other than a reference to the doors to the outside that weren't closed, we didn't get any further than that. It wasn't just cool, as in needing a sweater to be comfortable, it was COLD. Second issue, there were signs everywhere in the lobby saying "no food or drink". I so would have loved to have had my morning cup of tea as well as an end of the day glass of wine in this lovely lobby!! It was so beautifully decorated with a fireplace (not a hot one) and antique furniture and beautiful rich colors. I imagine the higher priority is the care of the furniture & floor rather than the usability by the guest. This made me feel like I was in a museum, not a hotel. This is a very important part of our trips, to have a place beyond our room to relax in and for that reason my review is 3 stars as I certainly don't want to project that the hotel is a bad place.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Deanne B
willits
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

My acquaintance with the Pine Inn goes back to the late 60's, and I am sufficiently well-traveled to know a great hotel when I encounter one. The Pine Inn has elegance in a relaxed setting, crimson tones and Chinese influences that bridge two continents, and a staff which understands the marriage between professionalism and personal charm. Carmel-by-the-Sea is a "walking town", and the Pine Inn is the perfect choice for that experience. Having a top notch restaurant and bar on premises is a definite plus, and the views from the decks and most of the rooms bring sand and sea right onto the hotel grounds and into your room. Certainly, there are other lovely hotel choices in this exquisite burg, but the Pine Inn is a conifer unto itself.

Room Tip: At the risk of not being able to book my favorite room(s), I will just say that rooms facing the oce...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business