“Good value for Carmel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lobos Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Lobos Lodge
You added Lobos Lodge to your Saves list
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
Berkeley, California
“Good value for Carmel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We had a very nice quiet room about 10 steps down from the parking lot, with the bath/toilet separated from the well-lit dressing area, queen bed, a small couch and large flat screen tv, gas fireplace, small outdoor sitting area with garden view; all for just over $200. I should also mention that the room could be well-darkened with the plantation shutters -- a plus feature for us. We did not avail ourselves of the included continental breakfast, as we love to go for the great eggs Benedict at Katy's Place. The lodge is just across the street from Il Fornaio restaurant.

Room Tip: There are many different levels and types of rooms, so make any preferences known at the time of res...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 2calgrads

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Zephyr Cove, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

My husband and I stay here during the start of the Concourse d' Elegance.

The room: It was their last room and it was absolutely charming. There was a little courtyard with shutters on the sliding glass door. It was nice to sit out on the courtyard with a bottle of wine and enjoy the beautiful weather and smell the ocean breezes. There was a fireplace in the room which we did not use, but it lended to the ambiance of our room. The bed was comfy and the bathrooms were clean. That's REALLY important to a fuss-budget like me.

The hotel: There is free coffee in the lobby, and the staff was very helpful in helping get around. They offer free parking which is really important during the car show because every inch of space is taken. It is right a the very edge of the downtown so walking to the various shop and restaurants is a breeze. It is also a short 3 blocks to the ocean. Grabbed a coffee from the lobby and took in the beautiful views the morning had to offer. We had clear weather and saw some dolphins playing in the distance. However, I was told that clear mornings like the one I experienced are few. I am told most mornings as foggy.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat. The price is reasonable considering the location, parking, and cute rooms. Please know that the lower rooms have some steps to navigate. Please let the staff know if you have any limitations and they will help you with your luggage. My husband is handicapped and the staff showed us a way to our rooms without having to use the stairs.

LOVED IT!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Patty P
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

The excellent service began when I made my reservation. I telephoned (as per info online) and asked whether there was elevator service as I have knee issues. The person to whom I was speaking said that there are no elevators, BUT there are rooms where parking is convenient and on same level with the room. I indicated my dates, etc. and he assigned the room. When I arrived there were potentially several convenient parking spaces. No problems whatsoever! I entered the room and found a large space which best could be described as a studio apt. without a kitchen area. It was very nice! The gas fireplace was welcome on the chilly evening; beside it was a comfortable reading chair. Across from the fireplace was a small sofa (or maybe a large "love seat"). The bed and night stands were behind the sofa. There was a small deck to the right, off this area. To the left was a small Parson's table (c. 4 feet) and a small dining/writing table. Through an internal doorway were the closet and bathroom area (which had excellent lighting). As noted in my title, the location couldn't have been better--IMO!! The walk to the beach was a "hop, skip, & a jump"! A walk to the east put you right in the middle of everything--restaurants, galleries, courtyards, the works--without being in the middle of a ton of traffic!! Last but not least, the service was excellent for the most part. I was there for 3 nights. The last morning my breakfast snack did not arrive. I waited 15 min. and finally called the front desk. The person there said that I had indicated that I would "call when ready". I noticed that the person who delivered the snack the day before appeared not to understand and looked totally bewildered when I thanked her and said "Have a nice day!" (unlike the person who came the first day). That same person came with the last snack--and a wilted flower that had obviously been on a tray earlier in the morning & put back in the refrigerator! I suspect that she gave incorrect information to the kitchen staff. Had this not happened I would have given the property 5 full circles... As it is, I would definitely recommend Lobos Lodge to friends, and hope to return in year or so! Just to be clear, my interactions with desk staff when I checked in, when I asked directions the next day, and when I left were very positive.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Janice S
Albuquerque, New Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

My husband, sister & I checked into this hotel May 20, 2014. Our rooms were located in a lower area that involved several tricky (short) flights of stairs, but we found another path to the rooms that had no stairs (the staff at check in could have mentioned this to us) & got our luggage in with a minimum of fuss. The rooms are lovely, painted in a sort of southern France way, with white washed ceiling beams and pastel yellow rooms. It was very soothing, and we enjoyed the evening in front of the fire. It was a quiet night, although we were awakened a couple of times due to the "water hammer" problem in some of the pipes. A breakfast of juice and pastries was delivered in the morning, at the promised time. A pleasant stay for us at Carmel, and I can recommend this to my friends and family.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank losita
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

I've stayed at the Lobos Lodge three times now and it's been a mixed experience: some good, some bad.

Pros:
-Very, very affordable compared to other hotels in Carmel
-Sizable rooms with cathedral ceilings, sofa, tv, gas fireplace
-Nice bathrooms with good water pressure
-Great location in the heart of Carmel-by-the-Sea
-Convenient parking lot near rooms
-Lobby is stocked with tons of tourist information and local restaurant menus
-Free fruit, cookies, tea, and coffee in the lobby
-Many rooms have small balconies

Cons:
-Saggy mattresses in some rooms that hammock with two people in them
-In-room coffee machines could use a good cleaning
-The tap water tasted really bad on all three of my stays and this isn't the kind of thing that usually bothers me... But this was almost undrinkable.
-Free breakfast brought to room is pretty pathetic: tea/coffee, a yogurt, and stale pastry. Better to decline the breakfast and buy something at a cafe in town
-Depending on your neighbors and proximity to the housekeeper's closet, rooms can be noisy

After three so-so stays, I'm going to try someplace else the next time I visit Carmel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TravelFiend5
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

We chose Lobos Lodge based on the Tripadvisor reviews and so glad we did! Our room for three was larger than we imagined, included a fireplace, living room area and cathedral ceiling. The breakfast was a nice touch and the location couldn't have been better. The staff was friendly and very helpful. Wish I could go back soon!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Alexandria, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

Just leaving a three night stay at lobos lodge. We are a family traveling with two young children. Rooms were spacious and so nice. Grounds were very pretty. Loved the location- a quick walk to restaurants or the beach. Very comfortable place to stay. Also enjoyed having a fireplace and fridge in the room.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family