“It's probably a nice place, but I'll never know.”
Review of Lobos Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Lobos Lodge
Ranked #19 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
Reviewed January 15, 2013

My wife and I had a reservation for the Lobos Lodge last August. We were going to go from Carmel to San Francisco for a brief vacation of a week, in all. We're both retired and on a fixed income, but the $180 per night didn't sound out of line considering it was the high season. But I was hospitalized a week before we were to leave and had to cancel the trip. Unfortunately, I didn't cancel it in time -- what with the hospital and the medical visits -- and Lobos Lodge refused to refund my deposit, or even to allow us to come at another time. The hotel where we were going to stay in San Francisco, however, gave us a total refund and wished me well. I understand why the Lobos Lodge felt it could not refund my money. I hope they understand why, when we do make it up to Carmel, we will never stay there. The people I spoke to were pleasant, to be sure. But I'm 72 and retired, and $180 is a lot of money to us.

Room Tip: I've never seen it. As I was just out of the hospital, doctors told me not to go. But reviews su...
Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank jayandirene
There are newer reviews for Lobos Lodge

Reviewed December 2, 2012

We spent two days here, utterly frustrated by the fact that wi-fi was either non existent, or incredibly slow - 5 mins to download a page. When we complained we were told that no body else had complained - they obviously have not looks at the previous criticism on trip advisor about this, or else they just ignored it. I was on work duty as well as visiting Cambria, so this tech neglect was a nightmare. It should not have been a problem, as we could get the signal for the Inn across the road more times than for Lobos Lodge.

Also, had to get help with the TV - no instructions, plus box for receiving programs hidden behind the TV. Plus - do note that the rooms are dark - when we arrived at 3.30 p.m. we had to use all the lights in our room to see, despite the sun shining outside. Many of the rooms are like this.

The location is excellent, the rooms spacious and comfortable. But all spoiled because of terrible internet connections - do not visit here if this is important to your comfort.

1  Thank fitzpatrickBoston
Reviewed November 29, 2012

My husband and I spent 2 nights at the Lobos Lodge in mid-November. The location is great for exporing Carmel on foot. The room was spacious, clean, and had some designer/upscale touches and a nice neutral colors. King bed was comfortable with plenty of pillows. Interestingly it seemed like a relatively low antigen room (laminate woodgrain flooring with a few area rugs) but my husband was convinced he had an allergic rxn to the room. I specifically selected Lobos Lodge because it was a non-pet establishment.

Front office staff was friendly and helpful, offering suggestion about local restaurants for dinner and had coffee, teas and cookies available.

As others have mentioned, a cold continental breakfast (juice, fruit and pastry) is delivered to your room at a designated time between 8:30-9:15am. The pastries were good (bakery quality, not prepackaged) but not very healthy. Rooms have coffee makers and I suggest you pickup 1/2 & 1/2 from lobby in advance if you want it with your morning coffee instead of the powdered creamer in the coffee condiments. Room also had a small frig (but no microwave).

The sound-proofing between rooms is good, but the noise travels between floors. We heard every footstep of the upstairs guests, and every morning around 7 am it sounded like they were rearranging the furniture upstairs by dragging it around the room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with no one above you.
4  Thank sdtravelertoo
Reviewed November 20, 2012

This review is probably not fair at all, considering I've never been to this hotel. However, I called this weekend to book a room for New Year's Eve and was told that the hotel manager was handling all New Year's Eve reservations and was in the office Monday thru Friday from 9:00-5:00pm. I was asked if I wanted to call back or leave a message. I decided to leave a message and I never received a return call, not even to say they were booked. Why a manager has to handle New Year's reservations is beyond me and seems rather silly. And why a "manager" can't return a phone call about possible business is maddening. Lobos Lodge lost a customer without even trying.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank jenglenn804
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We decided that autumn would be a great time to visit Carmel. The weather might still be warm, but the tourist population would be smaller. We were right on both counts. And though the evenings were cool, the Lobos Lodge was the perfect place nonetheless. The fireplace in our room worked great to knock the chill off. It's a gas fireplace, but still charming.

The Lobos Lodge has a lot going for it. It is centrally located on Ocean Avenue four blocks from the beach. It's in the heart the shopping, dining, gallery district. And it has private parking. That's a real plus since even in autumn finding convenient parking in Carmel is a challenge.

The Lobos Lodge is a beautiful place in the mission style. Our room was spacious, with a nice covered balcony, large windows, an ocean view, and a well appointed bathroom. The only issue I had with the entire experience was with the carpeting. The carpet in our room was a bit worn and made my wife keep her flip flops on. My view is that this is a beach inn, so the carpet was a bit sand-worn.

But, the most enchanting aspect of the Lobos Lodge was the breakfast and newspaper that was delivered to our door each morning! That was a wonderful touch. Pastry, fruit, orange juice and the Sunday paper; like being at home but with maid service!

The Lobos Lodge is highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing west that has a view.
3  Thank Porsche_Guy
Reviewed November 15, 2012

This place is on Ocean Avenue and about 3 or 4 blocks from Carmel Beach. (So close that it was easy to walk to the beach to see the sunset.) The rooms were large with a fireplace. It was so convenient to all the shops and restaurants. Also the front desk provides a map for some pleasant walks. The breakfast was ok but convenient. The only bad part is that our room was near Ocean Avenue and sometimes noisy at night otherwise for a room at a prime location, this hotel was a great value!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lois S
Reviewed November 14, 2012

We had a king room at the Lobos Lodge, with a sitting area and fireplace, small dining table and chairs, and a large bathroom. We were very pleased with the room, it was modern and clean, and overall the hotel was well located in Carmel - within a 5 minute walk of most restaurants and the beach. The breakfast was excellent - delivered to our door at the requested time in the morning, the tray had plates with danishes, fruit cups and juice, complete with a little flower garnish. Like other reviewers, our only complaint is the wi-fi - it was very slow and kept dropping the signal. Other than that, we were very happy with the Lobos Lodge and would stay there again.

7  Thank pegcitygirl