“Peaceful, not fancy” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mission Ranch

We can't find prices for this hotel
Mission Ranch
You added Mission Ranch to your Saves list
Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
Ormond Beach, Florida, Usa
“Peaceful, not fancy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

We stayed in the farmhouse. Narrow stairs led to our 2nd floor room, no problem for us and our small bags, but it might pose a problem for older guests with larger bags. The room was small but comfortable. I agree with reviewers stating it was like staying at grandma's house.

The deck overlooking the meadow opened at 4 pm, and we had been looking forward to relaxing there with a drink, only to find that by 5 pm, the 4 or 5 tables available for drinks only were full, and the remaining 10 or 12 empty tables were for diners only. Very disappointing, but we had our drink in the bar. The restaurant doesn't take reservations, but hotel guest can indicate when they would like to eat, and be placed on the wait list early. This worked fine.

While having drinks, we observed the food being served to early-bird patrons. Prime rib so huge it hung off the plate, carrots the size of small baseball bats, and salmon fillets that could feed a small army. My wife and I are not big eaters, and we enjoy visiting places known for their smaller but exceptional plates. This is not such a place. If you love 14+ oz. pieces of prime rib, cooked medium to medium well, you will be very happy.

Overall, if we are ever in the area again, we might return to the hotel, but definitely not the restaurant.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Charles C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Had dinner here - can't make a reservation here but off we went to try our luck.They said it would be 1 hour plus wait but there was a great pianist in the bar area so we settled at the bar with cocktails but were called within 20 minutes! We had a great meal here and very reasonable in this expensive region - the waiters were very friendly and helpful. Had a great glass of Pinot Grigio (Italian) as, dare I say, I don't care for the Californian ones. We stayed for drinks, music and dancing afterwards - just a fab night! Don't hesitate to go! If you end up sitting on the patio there are fires but take warm wraps ladies! Oh! And the views are fab!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TessaNearLeeds
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

I had a two day trip to Carmel planned and didn't want to stay in one of the over-priced, usually tacky dolled-up motels in Carmel. I decided to stay at Mission Ranch, the property bought several years ago by Clint Eastwood in order to protect the land.

I stayed in the Farm House in a queen-bedded room. It definitely had the feeling of staying in a "home" --- actually staying in a Grandma's Home. Comfortable room, nice soft furnishings, porch and chairs to sit on.

The restaurant served traditional food that was OK. Best of all there was a cocktail piano with talented and friendly pianist.

Next year when I go back I will certainly give this spot another booking.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
      Sleep Quality
5 Thank Sherri W
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

Had a lovely dinner there. Just remember to take a jumper / jacket. Middle of summer and it was cold on the patio. Otherwise beautiful location and great food. Reservations not allowed but we got seated in about 15 mins on a Friday night.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Orinda, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

We paid $300 ish for a basic room looking at the pasture out to the beach...Yes bathroom needs a face lift and yes the carpet and bedding should get updated-but the patio with charming rockers, sheep right outside, and the fireplace are what make it great. The charm the palce exudes is catchy and for an area that specializes in $800 a night average rooms-this one felt worth it! Breakfast in tennis club was fine-other reviewers were harsh-what do you want-this is not Pebble beach! eat some yogurt and get out and walk the neighborhood, see the mission, go to beach and town-charming! Thanks for an easy and fun stay here. Also I left my nightgown by accident (yes the very fancy one I rarely wear) and they called the same day and sent it-normally housekeeping keeps my accidentally left items as nice as this!! I was impressed.

Room Tip: get the room by the tennis court by sheep barn-nice and no stairs
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
2 Thank drmader
Orange County, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

We went to the restaurant for drinks (wine and beer) and appetizers and were pleased by the restful sheep grazing off the patio. We could sit there all night! They will not light the heaters for only apps, diners only, but that was ok with me, I understand. We could take up some valuable dining property there~

We just had chips/salsa and some seared ahi, and both were nice - a refill on the chips helped a bit, too.

It is pricey, but it's a treat, and well worth the tranquility - I loved that there was "one" black sheep~

This would be place I would love to stay with my husband- period homes/buildings, that seem like a B & B set up. Rocking chairs are set up on the buildings' verandas, and the huge old trees make it quite a little tucked away treasure.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends