“Simple, but Lovely” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mission Ranch

We can't find prices for this hotel
Mission Ranch
You added Mission Ranch to your Saves list
26270 Dolores Street, Carmel, CA 93923   |
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Carmel
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
“Simple, but Lovely”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed in the Bunk House for four nights while participating in a wedding and had a lovely stay. We were in one of the least expensive rooms, so there was no meadow or ocean view, but the room was spacious, well-kept and comfortable. The breakfast was as advertised: expanding continental with pastries, cereal, yogurt and tons of fresh fruit. If I had occasion to go to Carmel again, I'd stay here in a heartbeat.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cziel

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

The ranch is located right on the countryside of carmel. Room was ok, could use nicer decoration but otherwie fine. We played tennis for 10 usd each and had a wonderful time. Diner at the restaurant is really excellent. If you stay here a must do. The food is good, nice atmosphere and amazing views of the countryside and the ocean. We would really recommend this place.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FLOFLO3180
Walnut Creek, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

My wife and I booked the most expensive room for our 30th wedding anniversary. I would describe our stay as THE BAD! At $300 a nite, we were greeted to a 19 inch 30 yr old TV... my wife loves the Olympics! She did not enjoy sitting on the sofa squinting at the fuzzy reception! The room overlooked the ocean, but was quite tired. Breakfast on Sunday featured the normal fare, but did include fresh pineapple and other melons......NOT SO come Monday morning! NO FRUIT, just the normal items. We noticed two 1960 rusty gas guzzlers in prime parking spots near our room. Rather unusual we thought. We traveled in town for dinner, only to come back and discover the parking lot full. As such, we were forced to park on the street and march uphill to our room. I voiced my concerns at checkout but the GM was unavailable. About the TV I was told the less expensive rooms ALL had flat screens! I was told the 2 rusted vehicles were for company use, the reason for parking in prime spaces. My follow up with the GM was more frustrating! She talked from both sides of her mouth! She was to talk to the desk clerk and call me..not so, I received an apology form letter. This was THE BAD... TRAVELER BEWARE!

Room Tip: Here's my tip....don't stay here
Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Doug K
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed one night here during labor day weekend and we were excited as the reviews on tripadvisor and the pictures on the website were gorgeous.

Let me first preface my review by saying I am someone who enjoys fluffy beds, modern design, and luxurious amenities.

We paid $223/night for a first floor room in the farmhouse where there is no view of the pasture. The room although well maintained left something to be desired. The wifi does not work in the room, the carpet felt a little dingy, and the bed was not comfortable. Because of the age of the house you can also hear the loud creeks when the folks upstairs are coming up and down from their room which is rather unpleasant. Within the farmhouse there is a "family room" where you can relax by the fireplace so that was nice but it was still a bit chilly in there even with the fireplace on (understandable given the age of the house I presume).

Breakfast as many others have commented on was basic with no frills. The baked goods and bagels were okay. It felt like one of those continental breakfasts you would get at a Hampton inn or otherwise similar priced properties and maybe just a little worse.

The grounds like many have said are beautiful. It looks just like it does in the pictures. If you do want to stay here I would recommend one of the rooms in the tri-plex and four-plex because you get a view of the sheep. When we arrived in the parking lot, the sheep were there but by the time we came out to take a walk (around 7:30pm) they had already herded the sheep for the night.

One thing I would note is the restaurant needs work in their service department. We stopped by for a drink after dinner and basically got no service for 20 minutes despite going up to the servers 2x ourselves to let them know we were there. I was planning on ordering dessert but was totally put off by the service of the waitstaff who kept on ignoring us.

On the contrary,the front desk guy was very nice and friendly.

If you are the bed and breakfast type, you might enjoy a stay at the Mission Ranch but get one of the rooms overlooking the pasture as I cannot recommend the rooms in the Ranch House even though the exterior is charming.

Room Tip: Get a room in one of the tri-plex or four-plex buildings because it has a view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank jasmyne
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

We stayed one night at the Mission Ranch in the Bunk House on our recent 12 day trip to California. We loved the room the Bunk House offered and found it to be cozy and comfortable. The best part was the view from the wrap around porch. Watching the sheep graze and the ocean in the distance made you let out a deep breath and relax. The space was super (2 bedrooms, small kitchen area, family room and own parking) for our family of four (kids 7 and 10) and we used the fireplace even more than expected. The bathroom was updated and modern with a fantastic tub/shower. The staff was gracious and responsive. Only disappointment was that we underestimated how busy the restaurant can get and how limited the seating can be on the patio for the casual menu. Even on a Sunday night, the wait was longer than our kids would have patience so we headed into town. Breakfast was tasty and just the right amount for a continental offering. Overall, value is good for all of the space, fitness center and yummy breakfast. We'd love to return!

Room Tip: The Bunk House and rooms closer to the tennis courts offer beautiful views of the pasture, ocean and...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Famo4Philly_PA
Goode, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at Mission Ranch. The grounds were lovely and taken care of very well. The rooms were clean and had a lot of room. This was a relaxing comfortable place to stay and the food at the restaurant was so good

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wynee W
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

When in Carmel, we always stop by the Mission Ranch for a drink. We have been debating staying there and decided to try it because of the Carmel River views. The view from our room was what I expected. We were on the second floor of the Meadowview Fourplex. We had a large balcony, view of the sheep, marsh and Carmel River. There are really not any places with views right in Carmel, so it's almost worth it just for that.

We had drinks and dinner at the Mission Ranch, and enjoyed being able to walk there. The breakfast was so below standard for this type of place, that if we had known, we could have planned to be up earlier and would have gone to Katy's Place.

Service - nothing that stands out. Definitely not the warm and friendly environment one experiences if staying at a B&B.

The room needs to be refreshed and the bathroom was on par with a moderate motel. If they put some money into the rooms and upgraded the breakfast, it could be quite the place. Without the view, I would have given it three stars. My Mom would not go back. I might go back with my husband just for the view, but only if I got a super rate. I'm finding this a common theme in Carmel, the inn owners are just not investing in upgrading their properties. ..and it's not the economy, we find time and again that rooms are booked and Carmel is full of visitors.

Room Tip: Worth it to pay more for a view
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family