New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Cypress Inn

Cypress Inn
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
Los Gatos, California
“A terrific choice for location, style and dining.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I had not been to Cypress Inn for several years and am amazed at the quality of the rooms, service, dining and general feel of the place. I highly recommend it for couples, singles and for a great vacation. Everything that Carmel should be.

Room Tip: Clean, comfortable rooms but ask about locations since they can vary with noise levels. No pool and...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Truly enjoyed our time at the Cypress Inn. Beautifully kept surroundings - gorgeous gardens and welcoming staff who go the extra mile to help with anything you need. The architecture itself of the building is memorable. Our room had a lovely balcony overlooking the historic church and although quite smallish our room was extremely comfortable and quite adequate. The bathroom was also small but once again was excellent for our 1 night stay. The front piano bar was superb with its open fire for a late night coffee or drink. Breakfast included is fabulous with lots of choice and very fresh produce. Wirless internet is a bit tricky as signal is not strong throughout the hotel - I could not get a signal in my room and I found I had to sit in Terry's Bar near the main hallway to be able to access my email, etc, but it was pleasant sitting there anyway. The memorabilla of Doris Day is also very interesting to browse. Also liked visiting with the various dogs staying at the Inn as I was missing my puppy back in Australia!! Loved the fairy lights all over the Inn of an evening.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DreamsComeTrue2013
Kentfield, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

What's not to love about this hotel. Great service, very clean, charming atmosphere and they love dogs. In fact, Carmel, in general, is one of the most dog friendly places I have ever been to. OK, back to the Cypress Inn. Their breakfasts are yummy and you can eat outside on the patio on a nice morning. They serve tea in the afternoon. And, with all the dogs around, you make instant friends with the other dog owners. I have had some of the most enjoyable visits at the Cypress Inn over the years

Room Tip: I can't remember the room numbers, but the ones on the second floor facing the patio are nice, b...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Pam62656
Blackwood, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

The Cypress Inn is a lovely hotel in a great location in Carmel, right off of Ocean Ave. All the staff are just lovely, the hotel is very charming, but the most significant comment I can make, other than it is a lovely place, is it is the cleanest hotel I've ever stayed at, and I've traveled quite a bit, including Europe. Highly recommend.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank TedsRose
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

From the dog biscuits at the front desk to the waitresses stepping around your pooch as you dine on the patio or in the lobby; the Cypress Inn is dedicated to your dog's pleasure.

And there's plenty for the humans to enjoy. The continental/hot breakfast is included in the room price and proved to be a great value. Ask about the fresh hot pop overs in the morning.

But be warned, there are no breakfast meats offered, we figured that that might prove to be too tempting for the four legged guests.

We saw guests without dogs staying at the Inn but could not imagine coming without our furry friend.

Room Tip: We had a queen sized room on the second floor which was cozy but quiet (no view). Our friends had a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Packer220
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I stayed in a smaller room on the top floor. Clean and well lit, windows led out to a parkette area. Bathroom was clean and well stocked. The staff were outstanding. I really have to hand it to them that everyone was so helpful and sweet. My doorman carried my large and heavy bag up several flights of stairs without complaint. He took the time to recommend which restaurants to visit. Very sweet.

I LOVED the doggy atmosphere. I was away from home and only staying one night but I loved visiting with everyones pups. This hotel does lend itself to an older crowd but I didn't mind. The fireplace and couches were perfect. The food was excellent and I enjoyed every minute. I would definitely return. I dined there on two separate occasions during my trip as well as breakfast - no complaints there! The rooms were very clean, free sherry provided (I didn't partake but it was a lovely gesture) and great layout.

The only nit-pick I would have about the place is that the room is a little dated decor wise and some fellow guests had a very loud 2am conversation outside of my window but once I opened the window and kindly asked if they wouldn't mind whispering they apologized and moved on.

The Inn is right downtown Carmel and close to everything you could wish to visit. There are many shops and lovely art studios, candy makers, restaurants. The waiter recommended I visit Dametra Cafe - it's a must! Great fun and food.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank spagirlforlife
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights and liked the feel of the inn with all the movie (and music) memorabilia. We had the room closest to reception and it was a little cramped for the four of us and all our luggage. The room includes some nice touches, like free nuts and sherry. Even though the temperature never went above 65, without air con the room was a bit hot overnight. Breakfast was really nice and you could tell it was all high quality.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family