“Great place - fabulous owners & staff. Will stay again.”
Review of Carmel Garden Inn

Carmel Garden Inn
Ranked #6 of 26 Carmel B&B and Inns
North Carolina, USA
“Great place - fabulous owners & staff. Will stay again.”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My cousin wanted to book this B&B because they offered a TripAdvisor discounted rate. At first, we reserved a room that was on the 2nd floor and has a small glimpse of the ocean and a tub. We paid $50 more than the regular room, which had a discounted offer. When we arrived, the room was not available due to a broken toilet and we were given a room without a view and a smaller bath but it had a nice garden patio. At any rate, we meet the owners, and they gave us a good discount the following day, since we didn't get the original room we liked. I give this a 5-star not really because of the room. I give this a 5-star because the owners were really nice and they understood that we were a bit disappointed with the substitute room and compensated us with a discount. Julian showed us that 2nd floor room, and it was indeed a very nice room. We will stay here again and hope that 2nd floor room is available. Thanks for your hospitality. We enjoyed the town of Carmel and Point Lobos.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ayap
julian b, Owner at Carmel Garden Inn, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
As you well know, our inn needs the continuing love, care and modernization (though respectful of the Inn's history and past character) that we have started in March when we bought it and continue. Turns out the toilet in the 2nd floor room belongs in a museum according to the plumber. Anyway, it is brand new now and awaits your return. I want to thank you for your review. But also for accepting our discount and acknowledging our efforts. So many folks, when disappointed, turn a deaf ear and just stay disappointed or angry. You did not and for that we really thank you. Sincerely, Julian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Rancho Cordova, California
Reviewed August 5, 2013

For our anniversary we stayed one night in room 4 or Heather. It was bigger than we needed, had a king bed (very comfortable) a loveseat, a kitchenette, good counter space with microwave, mini fridge and sink, a fire place, flat screen tv (and cable, but we never turned it on). Our only issue (and I know that they plan to work on it over the winter) was the shower, but I know that by the time we would go again that will be fixed. Maybe they should consider detachable shower heads and separate hot water heaters for the rooms so that if someone flushes a toilet in another room you won't know. Also they should update or even just label the wall heater in the main room and the dials in the bathroom. We figured out how to start the heater, but not how to turn it off, and in the bathroom we think on was the fan and no idea what the other dial was.
Overall it was a great place to stay and we will go back again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Scott806
julian b, Owner at Carmel Garden Inn, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Your review is appreciated. Thank you so very much for the photos. We are planning the complete restructure of all our plumbing as you pointed out. Recirculating pump system, new pipes hot and cold and sewer lines, revamp of some showers to get a roomier feeling and overhaul of the existing bathrooms. All done with respect to the period of the Inn built 1949.See you again, Julian
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed July 30, 2013

stayed there for two nights. was very very happy with the place. pros: location is good, walking distance to town center. staff is super nice and helpful. breakfast has chill homemade stuff. rooms are nice. GREAT value.
cons: a little far from the beach but still walkable, rooms are small, bathroom are tiny and kind of old (but clean).

• Stayed July 2013
julian b, Owner at Carmel Garden Inn, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Susan was especially happy you enjoyed her chili cornbread. While we all take pride in our food and wines, Susan just loves to make her cornbread and of course her granola. Your review and praise is warmly welcomed. See you when you come to Carmel again. Thank you, Julian
San Jose, CA
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I found the Carmel Garden Inn via Trip Advisor and was drawn in by the great reviews and introductory rates. Something I really appreciated was that they did not have a 2-night minimum stay. It's hard for us to find childcare for two nights, but the options for a 1-night stay are really limited. As it turned out, everything about our stay was even better than I expected! My husband and I spent one night in the Jade room which was an end unit. Our room was lovely, comfortable and super clean and we were able to park right outside our door. Our room had a nice big chair and super plush throw blanket, which was perfect for curling up next to the fire place with a book and cup of tea. There was coffee and a nice selection of teas provided in the room, as well as a Brita water pitcher, which I thought was really great to have. The bathroom is definitely ready for a remodel and I know that is in the works, but the fact that it was super clean really made up for it. Also, I don't think the mattress in our room had been replaced yet and it was kind of sloped on both edges, so it felt like we were fighting to keep from rolling off. The innkeepers were all really nice people and more than helpful when it came to giving us tips about what to see, where to eat, etc. Susan's granola is indeed fantastic, as was the rest of our breakfast. We had boiled eggs, fruit, yogurt, warm blueberry muffins and a jalapeno cornbread topped with sour cream and salsa. That might not sound very "breakfasty", but it was really good and I'm even planning to recreate it at home! The wine and cheese time was nice and we enjoyed talking with Andrew who was on evening duty. We did not have time to do the smores pit... Maybe next time! We definitely will be back, and hopefully the bathrooms reno will be complete and we'll have better luck with the mattress too. Thanks for making our stay so enjoyable, we really can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Jade is an end unit, so you only have to share one wall.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
julian b, Owner at Carmel Garden Inn, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you for your review. We decided that the two night minimum would be inconvenient for many folks and really appreciate your pointing it out to re-enforce that we made the right decision. We are wishing summer was over so we could get at those bathrooms, especially those that really need work. As you said (and we appreciate your comment on this as well) they are ready but really clean. We asked our housekeepers to read your review. They need the praise as well. Thank you from them! Looking forward to your next visit, Julian
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

Thanks to the reviews on Tripadvisor and the awesome introductory rates due to new ownership, we had to try this B&B out on our last trip. Things were pretty good, and I can tell that the management and staff are striving for even more improvement, so if the prices don't go up too much, we will definitely be switching allegiance and making this our go-to lodging in Carmel (we got married here and so come quite often and have seen a lot of Carmel B&Bs and hotels). Here is the rundown:
- the staff was so kind an helpful with everything we needed. They even overheard us talking about wanting to see wildlife during wine and cheese and have us the perfect kayaking suggestion.
- The rooms and grounds are adorable. I love the unique little gardens. We stayed in the Rosemary room, and I think it might be the best one.
- the wine and cheese hour and fire pit with s'mores makings are nice touches.
- our room was listed on the website as having a kitchenette. As we were staying for a few nights with a recent high school grad to celebrate, we decided to bring groceries and cook one dinner to save money and indulge at other meals. The kitchenette, however, is not a true kitchenette, but only a mini fridge, microwave and sink. This should be specified on the website. Luckily, since we already had all our groceries, the staff let us use their kicthen to cook. I know it was out of the ordinary, and it really stood out as good service.
- I know they are in the process of remodeling, and hope that the shower temperatures get addressed soon. The water would go from scalding to freezing with the slightest tap. It took so long to get it to the right temperature, that once I did get it right, I actually just left it running and tag-teamed the next person as fast as possible so they wouldn't have to go through the whole charade.
- Based on other reviews, I think this was a fluke, but our breakfast wasn't great. The first morning, the only thing I the way of homemade was some cold jalapeño corn bread. The granola was a little stale, and man do I hate plane hardboiled eggs, which were the only protein option. The second morning there was a broccoli frittata that was much better, but we never did see any scones or breads as mentioned.
Overall, I have really high hopes for this place and hope that the prices don't shoot up too!

• Stayed July 2013
julian b, Owner at Carmel Garden Inn, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Your review is appreciated and your comments (especially regarding the water) help us to continue improving. A major remodel of the bathrooms is scheduled for this winter and will include new pipes and a high efficiency recirculating water pump system. Our goal is to give the finest service, quality accommodations at a price reflecting 'good value'. We look forward to your next stay. Thank you Julian
Lafayette
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Booked this B&B via internet and was so happy with our stay. Our room was spacious, clean and so Carmel with vintage furniture. The complimentary breakfasts were sufficient to start the day off. Beds perfect, showers so so with little pressure. All and all a perfect weekend in Carmel. Highly reocommend the Garden Inn.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ClaudiaLafayette
julian b, Owner at Carmel Garden Inn, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Your review is really appreciated. Especially your comments about the beds. and being clean. We are continuing to renovate and refurbish, being guided by the busy summer, figuring out how to preserve the Inn's history while updating the furniture, plumbing fixtures etc. and listening to the comments from you, our guests. Your input in these areas is also very valued by us. Thanks, Julian
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 17, 2013

What a wonderful quant bed and breakfast I came upon! From the moment I arrived, to the day I left, I had the most wonderful stay! The owners were so conscientious, making sure I was happy, as well as the other guests, and we had the most delicious home made granola, scones and other delightful goodies for breakfast. The rooms are cozy and the beds are soooooooooo comfortable! It's walking distance to everything and I met the nicest people there, during my stay. I've been coming to Carmel for over 20 years and have had my favorite spots, but this has definitely become my home away from home. They also serve wine and cheese in the afternoon, and have the nicest people working there!!! I will definitely come back soon, and again and again!

Room Tip: My favorite rooms are the ones with a patio...................where you can just sit outside and enj...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
julian b, Owner at Carmel Garden Inn, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Your review is greatly valued by all of us at the Inn. We individually take pride in making our guests feel at home and comfortable, most of all happy. It is the input from you, our guests, that fuels our enthusiasm about the present and prospects for the future. Thank you, Julian and us all.