“Overrated”

Dametra Cafe
Ranked #3 of 160 Restaurants in Carmel
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed September 3, 2013

After reading the reviews, my husband and I had lunch this past weekend. The Cafe is a small restaurant and a wine bar next door which is all part of Dametra Cafe. Luckily we were in the wine bar area which is less crowded and quieter. The food was average and the wine list was adequate. We started with the hummus and pita bread. It was good but not stellar. I had the lamb shank which was recommended by the waitress. Again, it was good but I wouldn't think of returning for these dishes. The bathroom is in the kitchen. Since they are so busy, there is always a line of people waiting for the one bathroom and you feel like you are in the way of the waiters going back and forth. Not really sure everything is to code back there. I will explore other restaurants the next time I go to Carmel.

There are newer reviews for Dametra Cafe

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Went here twice in 3 days. The Schwarma was fantastic. The atmosphere was crowded but welcoming. The proprietor was gregarious and generous with wine samples. Loved it!

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Dametra Cafe is No. 1 on Trip Advisor for Carmel, and a friend had also recommended it, so we were hopeful for a great experience. It's a crowded cafe, sort of a bistro, and you are greeted by the owner and other family members who appear to work hard at being warm and solicitous to their customers - perhaps a little too much. We started with bruschetta as an appetizer, and here's an example of why this place is ok, not great: The toast was just right and nicely warm, it had garlic scraped on it, the tomatoes were chopped exactly right -- but the tomatoes had been chilled. Tomatoes lose their flavor when they are chilled, and any good cook --certainly a professional -- would know that tomatoes shouldn't be chilled. It's a little thing, but the kind of thing that is telling about the quality of a restaurant. I had artichoke ravioli, which were also good, not great -- a little thick and heavy -- but garlicy and tasty. My partner had the lamb shank, which he also described as "good, not great." We opted against dessert, although the restaurant sent over some baklava -- tough and hard to cut -- gratis. The atmosphere here is fun, and as others have said, at one point in the evening the staff performs music and the guests clap along. It just seems like the owners are putting a lot of effort into warmth and atmosphere, when they should be putting more effort into the food.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

A small little cafe this place is not. Small? Yes Cafe? No, this is a wonderful little restaurant with a big heart, large portions and huge helping of fun and laughter. I had no idea when my bell hop at the Cypress Inn recommended this little hole in the wall how much I would adore this place.

With a varied menu (Greek, Italian, Mediterranean) there is something for everyone here. Usually lined up out the door (and worth the wait), this place is full of fun as every meal is serenaded by staff members playing the drums, guitar and a dishwasher with the most beautiful singing voice! Late at night you can expect to walk by and hear the cheers, see the dancing and hear the tinkles of laughter and glasses. It's definitely big on atmosphere, large helpings of traditional favourites like hummus, gyros, and pastas. I ate here several times for the great food and the performances by the staff. I was never disappointed.

I was always offered a free dessert with my tea. The tea is spectacular and service is impeccable.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

We go to Carmel every year and always come back to Dametra Cafe. The Greek food is excellent. They have a small but nice wine list. The best part of this place is the very friendly staff. They are always
grateful to have you as a guest. It's best if you have reservations but we usually get right in when we don't. Yes, as others have said, this is a small restaurant but for us that just adds to the atmosphere.