“interesting and historical”
Review of Tor House

Tor House
Ranked #12 of 112 things to do in Carmel
More attraction details
Owner description: The historic home of the poet Robinson Jeffers is open to the public for group tours Fridays and Saturdays. First Tour at 10AM, last tour at 3PM. Tours last about 1 hr 20 minutes. Docents describe the life and times of Robinson and Una Jeffers, his poetry, philosophy, and accomplishments of building his home of sea-tossed granite. Wear walking shoes to cope with uneven ground and steep stairs. No photography during tours. Special events annually are the Spring Garden Party held the first Sunday in May when photography is permitted in Tor House and Hawk Tower. Jeffers Fall Festival is held the first weekend of October and includes discussions and presentations on Jeffers' poetry and his life in Carmel. Both are paid events. Check the Tor House web site for details near the time of event.
Reviewed September 3, 2013

enjoyed the tour of Tor House. Our guide was pleasant and gave a very interesting and enjoyable tour of the grounds and history

Reviewed August 19, 2013

This is the home of California poet Robinson Jeffers. No where else have I so strongly felt the atmosphere of Carmel Past. This can only be seen on scheduled tours so be sure to make reservations. The docents are knowledgeable. Bring sweaters for your tour on this "tor" where the winds blow off the ocean. Allow about 3 hours for your tour. I have taken this many times and each time I learn something new.

2  Thank lindayv
Reviewed June 9, 2013

My sister and I booked our tour of the Tor house and were very excited about it. We were not disappointed. Our docent was amazing. I wish I had written my review sooner when I remembered his name. He was an English teacher before he retired and was very passionate about Robinson Jeffers. He was very informative and managed to keep it entertaining at the same time. I highly recommend taking this tour.

Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful ocean view with amazing architectural interest and historical background as well. We were fortunate to find a poetry reading event at Tor House. Cute museum, kind docents and very interesting place. Call ahead to check hours open. Truly a GEM in Carmel.

1  Thank Vicetta
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Interesting inside in a beautiful setting and well run by hardworking volunteers. A lovely and fulfilling way to spend a couple of hours and delight your senses.