“Beautiful Views and Great Hike”

Point Lobos State Reserve
Ranked #1 of 110 things to do in Carmel
More attraction details
Owner description: Watch whales in winter and sea lions all year round at this Bay Area nature reserve, which offers hiking, walking, bird watching, scuba diving and magnificent views.
Dallas, TX
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 109 helpful votes
“Beautiful Views and Great Hike”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

This was truly one of my favorite stops on our California vacation. You should really make this a part of your trip if you are anywhere near Carmel. Parking seems to fill up fast on the weekend (we were there on a Saturday) so people start parking along the highway. Fortunately, we arrived an hour or so before noon so we managed to get one of the last available spots by Allen Memorial Grove. I don't know if there is a fee for walk-ins (there didn't appear to be), but there is a fee if you drive in. However, the views are well worth the fee. (Don't remember the exact price, but I know it was $10 or under.)
You could spend an entire day here or just hike a portion of the park in an hour or two. We hiked from Cypress Cove down to China Cove and got some really great pictures. I would consider it a relatively easy hike and I'm not an avid hiker. You could make the hike slightly more challenging by going down to the water's edge at Sea Lion Point.
There are bathrooms at the park entrance and by Allen Memorial Grove. There are no picnic facilities by the Grove or Sea Lion Point, but there were picnic tables at China Cove.
You can view the Pacific from the atop one of the cliffs or go down to the water's edge at Sea Lion Point. The beautiful cypress grove, the gorgeous water, and the sunning sea lions all make this stop a nature lover's delight. I would definitely stop here again should I have the chance to return to Carmel.

Visited October 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Must do in Carmel”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I felt like in I was in a movie with all those outrageous sights. A perfect afternoon of hiking and wonderful views!

Visited October 2012
Piedmont, California
141 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 251 helpful votes
“Perfect for a couple hours of hiking and incomparable views”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

If the weather cooperates, there's no better day-time activity in the area than a moderate hike around Pt. Lobos. Unbelievable views of the coast and the bay off Carmel, all sorts of birds, sea lions on an island just off the point. Trails are mostly easy to moderate but it's possible to spend much of an afternoon hiking around the point, weaving in and out of the trees to unique ocean vistas. There are often volunteer docents available to answer questions. And make sure to bring a camera.

Visited November 2012
Ukiah, Ca
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 101 helpful votes
“Don't Miss Point Lobos!”
Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I must have driven past Point Lobos State Reserve a dozen times before we decided to take look and discovered one of the most beautiful places on the coast. The scenery is breath taking and easily accessible. Flora and fauna abound. Bring your hiking shoes, you binoculars and your camera.

Walnut Creek, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“If you are near Carmel, go here first!”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I love Carmel, the town is laid back and has many unique shops and cozy restaurants. I've often told my out of state visitors to visit Carmel. Often they don'r have much time, but I always tell them — if you have only a couple/few hours skip the town and go to Point Lobos. The state reserve is astounding, huge waves breaking on the rocks causing big ocean sprays, seals, beautiful views, hikes (both longer and shorter) and many photo opportunities. Whenever I go there I end up amazed at the natural beauty of the place. The only negative is having to leave!

Visited February 2012