“Great for families...not necessarily a romantic getaway”

Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa
Ranked #18 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Los Angeles, California
“Great for families...not necessarily a romantic getaway”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Well...we should have known what we were in store for when we saw that Leggo Land was one of the local attractions. But, alas my husband and I gave it a try since the photos were so beautiful. The staff was very nice and very professional....except for some girl who worked the reception desk in the spa. We found her to be a bit snotty and pretentious...I felt like telling her "Seriously??? You are at a spa at the Sheraton (not the Four Seasons) in Carlsbad (Beverly Hills)." All in all it is a clean resort that is well-cared for. For us it slips to an average rating largely due to the location.

Room Tip: If you ask for an ocean view room...be sure the view doesn't include the entrance to Leggo Land...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
mlconner, Manager at Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the hotel. I am sorry that your experience in the spa left you with a bad impression of the hotel. We appreciate the honest feedback and are able to address your concerns. We review our posts weekly with the staff and use them as teach opprtunities. We always want to ensure that we are improving and making the necessary steps to be an exceptional hotel for all of our guests. I hope that we have an opportunity to take care of you and husband again.
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Korean first
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We booked here after a horrible experience with the Sheraton Suites SanDiego, and boy were we glad we found this gem.
The reception area is beautiful, the staff was always friendly and helpful. The pool is lovely and open 24 hours as is the fitness center.
The rooms were very nice, spacious and super clean. The restaurant 20/20 has good food, the service is a bit on the slow side but other than that, it was reasonably priced and worked well with the kids.
The best little treat that we did not know about was their private walk way to Lego Land. This was great, saved us time and was so convenient.
Also, they had a "Dive-In" movie for the kids on Saturday night. This resort is very kid friendly and I would highly recommend it for anyone coming to the area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind words. We are very please to hear that you and your family had an excellent experience with the Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa. We are delighted when can be a part of the wonderful family memories. We hope to have the opportunity to have the family back again.
Warm Regards,
San Diego
Reviewed September 15, 2012

From the moment the valet greeted us through check-in we knew we found the ideal weekend getaway. Although our suite (a great alternative to two rooms for a family) was not ready, we enjoyed the heated pool and games around the deck as our server brought us beverages from the bar inside.

From housekeeping to the bell staff, their can do service elevated our stay.

Breakfast was a big highlight. While many of the chain hotels offer a standard breakfast buffet of not-so-fresh eggs and other obvious goods, the Sheraton Carlsbad had a marvelous array of fresh fruit, pastries, and tremendous items. Our breakfast was simply one example of how this Sheraton property and their staff stand above the rest.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
mlconner, Manager at Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
Thanks you for taking the time to share about your wonderful experience at the Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa. I will be sure to pass your comments on to the team. We are glad that we will be part of all the wonderful memories for years to come.
All he Best
Hotel Manger
Shanghai
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Having earned the SPG Platinum status in Asia, we tried out several Starwood properties now in the US. Standards are lower in US.
At Sheraton Carlsbad we used Platinum suite upgrade. Very bad experience. We got confirmation for a 65 m²/700 sq.ft. suite. Upon check-in, receptionist was not really sure about our booking. Our room was a corner room, bigger than normal but a far cry from the confirmed size. A call to reception confirmed that our room was smaller. So I went to reception. The supervisor Natascha tried to convince me that the room has 65 m². As I objected she gave us two adjoining rooms from the second night onwards.
In general, one has to often ask about what the booked rate included - receptionists do not offer the info by themselves. We had booked waived resort fee (waived for Platinum anyway), self parking included (usually 12 USD/day; we had to request several times on how this is supposed to work till receptionist gave us some paper for car) and breakfast for two. It turned out that our breakfast was supposed to be in the lounge. As children are not allowed there and we were travelling with a toddler, they gave us vouchers for the standard breakfast.
On Sat and Sun there was a breakfast buffet, nothing special; just a bit better than your normal Inn breakfast (for 250 USD one would expect better). In US, only brewed coffee is included. In Asia you can choose cappuccino, latte, espresso, etc.. The waitress explained like this: "the beans for those specialty coffees are more expensive"; in retrospect one wonders what beans they use for brewed coffee...
Big surpise on Monday. No buffet, just eggs your style according to voucher. Alright. Waitress pours coffee and orange juice. We order an extra dish from kids menu (parents beware, make sure what breakfast you book); so when check arrives, I nearly fall from chair as coffee was billed too. Explanation: on voucher it says that one has to choose from either coffee OR orange juice. Hold on. No mention of that on Sat/Sun (same waitress). My reaction: I book breakfast at an upscale hotel at USD 250 and then something like that??? Having stayed a hundreds of hotels, this is definitely a FIRST. So I complain to supervisor: Explanation: hotel is privately owned...
Shock on checkout:
they charge a higher rate than booked
they charge second room at 50%.
Things are clarified at the end, but it was a nerve-wrecking stay.
Food: not very good either; many dishes oversalted; mashed potatoes with skin inside?
children pasta was spicy - of course child does not eat that.
pool during the week seemed not cleaned
View from ground floor rooms: your car...
golf course nearby - The Crossing - very nice, but challenging.
They just broke ground for new Hilton opposite. Thus, some noise may be expected.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you taking the time to address your concerns with the hotel during your stay. I am sorry to hear that your needs were not met. There is never an excuse when we fall short of our guests expectations. As a leader in the hospitality industry our goal is to ensure that everyone enjoys their stay. I have shared your feedback with our leadership team and will use this as learning tool. I do hope that we will have an opportunity to serve you and your family in the future. We would love the opportunity to show you the true Sheraton experience.
Hotel Manger
Cedar Hills, Utah
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Stayed here for a seminar, rooms were clean and the landscaping is nice. We were given access to the lounge for breakfast and evening snacks. The staff was very accomodating. I didn't go to Legoland but it is right out the front door, there is a private entrance down the walkway.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post about the Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa. We hope to see you back soon.
Cheers
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I'm agree with all, this is the hotel to stay if you go to Legoland, the private entrance to the park is amazing and it is a nice property! Pool, lanscaping, location and decoration is perfect. I stayed there in August 2012 with the family. But...

I was charged for Resort fee even in real all inclusive resort you don't have to pay those fees. At 300$ a night, increase you price and don't bug people with fees. I seems this practice is increasing in popularity, I hate that. I used my Starwood points to stay there and I used more points to get an upgraded room another hotel rip-off, I did not feel I got an upgrade and, finally I went to the Twenty restaurant for the breakfast and surprise, this is the first buffet (my overall rate on buffet is 1/5 even for a weekend day, quality, food, variety and price) where I have to pay for the not very good coffee 4$ and not fresh press orange juice 4$ in extra of the 17$ for the not very good buffet. The final bill was 83$ for a not very good breakfast (2 adults, 2 kids). Again, a breakfast buffet is include at least the coffee. I don't care to pay big bucks when is good and at the Sheraton Carlsbad, the breafast is not.

My advice to client, stay there for Legoland and keep your eyes peeled for extra fees, until the Hilton Grand vacation (Next door) open somewhere in 2013.

My advice to hotel manager, visit other Hotel chains to see what a real breakfast buffet like and what will be your final bill.

I stayed 53 nights for business in hotels last year and at 8 different hotels only during this trip with the family and unfortunatly I feel like a victim of a scam with this stay at Sheraton, this is my worst experience so far.

Room Tip: There is two building on the left side, ask to be on the first one at the highest floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your post and choosing the Sheraton Carlsbad. I am sorry to learn that you felt that you were scammed. Those are not our attentions and want to be sure that all of our guests know about the charges up front. I see that you travel quite a bit for business you may be close to achieving the Platinum Status were you are able to earn additional benefits through your awards program. Some of the benefits are waived resort fee, continental breakfast for you and a guest. In addition a late check is offered when available at resort properties. I have shared your comments with our culinary team and will look into how we can enhance our buffet.
Monterey Park, California
Reviewed September 10, 2012

This facility is really nice and clean. The private entrance to LEGOLAND is awesome. The only knock with this place is the POOL - 1.) Pool is falsely advertised as heated pool. The pool is not heated as advertised. Son and I jumped into the pool at around 11:30am for only 10 mins and afterward he came down with a high fever 102+ for the next two days. We spent the rest of the trip inside the Hotel room...

Room Tip: If you not a big fan of HANDICAP ROOM then you must call in-advance to let them know. We were given...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
I am please to here that you enjoyed the Hotel. I am sorry to learn that you and your son were not feeling well. Our pool is heated to 78 degrees and is monitored to ensure that temperatures are kept as such. I look forward to having the opportunity to have the family back to enjoy all that the hotel has to offer.

Warm Regards,