“Early check in fees!!”

Ranked #18 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Manhattan Beach, California
“Early check in fees!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2011

The Sheraton Carlsbad has a check in time of 4:00pm, which compared to other Sheratons, is rather late. We arrived at 12:30pm and were advised that our room category was not yet available, which was fine. However, we were told that an ocean view room was available for $40 more, with an additional $50 fee for checking in before 4:00pm. Please also note there is a resort fee of $12 a night plus a $12 self parking fee a night, before taxes. We were ready for all the fees listed, except the early check in fee. We had not heard of this before. We were also surprised not to be given a complimentary upgrade, as we are Sheraton members. I can see that families with small children in tow would be likely to pay the early check in fee just to get out of the lobby and get to a room. We requested to see the manager, and the check in fee was dropped and the ocean view room dropped to $20, for the upgrade. The ocean view room turned out to be a view of the parking lot, grass area, and hotel lobby building. This resulted in a phone call to the manager and the $20 extra fee was dropped. Two requests to talk to the manager within 30 mins of arrival is not a pleasant experience. That being said, this is a wonderful location, close to Legoland. The pool is large enough for all the familieas that are there, and there are complimentary water diapers for the kids, a nice touch. The restaurant food was excellent and the Mother's day brunch was extensive, very good, and a value for the money. The spa is small, has a changing room with lockers, steam room, and relaxation lounge with about 9 chairs. The massage was wonderful with a choice of lotions, heated bed and extra heated pillows for your neck. Crista was a terrific massage therapist... just an incredible massage. This is an attractive hotel with the advantage of a great location for Legoland. Just be advised of the fees going in.

Room Tip: don't stay on the first floor.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Korean first
Lake Forest, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2011

Beautiful Hotel, however guests are "nickel and dimed" to death with extra fees. Examples: Resort Fee; Parking (when there is obviously ample parking). I arrived early and was told a room was available, but that there would be a $50 fee if I wanted immediate access to the room. Additionally, a late departure option was not offered or available. This was the first time as a Starwood Preferred Guest member that I was ever treated like this. I paid a a lot of money to purchase a Starwood property and I expect to be treated accordingly. This resort offered nothing as far as "perks" for SPG members and instead tried to squeeze the last nickel from you with unnecessary fees. I left with a bad taste in my mouth. I doubt I will ever return.

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank fleming19
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2011

Our stay at this resort was excellent. I couldn't think of one negative thing to say - the service was impeccable, the food was great, the rooms were spacious, clean and well lighted...the pool, spa and fitness center are all 24 hours, a terrific feature at a resort like this. I would recommend this resort to anyone...anytime...

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Huntington Beach, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2011

Nice location with private access to Legoland. Rooms are nice and clean. Large pool and jacuzzi with plenty of lounge chairs and towels-very clean. Don't bother to pay for the club breakfast. The club is a tiny room not large enough to accommodate more than fifteen people comfortably, get there early if you do go, it gets crowded and picked over quickly. Room service is a better option with more to choose from. Biggest complaint is the lackadaisical attitude of the front desk when my wife reported she had tripped on the raised concrete of the sidewalk between our building and the lobby building, causing her to fall face down onto the rocks in the planter. The person at the front desk did not offer an apology or ask for location, etc. The following day we saw two more people trip and fall at the same spot. Also, if you plan on dining in the small restaurant, book early. At 4:00 pm We tried to book a table for seven and and we were told to check back after 8:00 because they already had a party of six booked-huh?

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank roadwarrior5822
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2011

We planned a trip to Legoland and stayed at the Sheraton Carlsbad. It could not have been better. The staff was friendly, helpful and genuine. The layout of the resort is nice to walk/run, and they have beautiful lawns for the kids to play along with views of the pacific ocean.
The location was perfect for Legoland and Sea Life. The resort has a walkway into Legoland, so you do not have to park, which saves the $12.00 parking fee. The location is also ideal to experience San Diego (Zoo and Sea World) and Carlsbad, a quaint town with shops and restaurants.

The hotel offers a wide variety of menu options with a great variety for kids. The happy hour is good value to try the extensive wines by the glass. The pool and hot tub were a perfect way to end the day. The rooms were spacious and are geared toward families with a refrigerator and kid channels on the TV. The resort offers a great value, location and wonderful food.

Room Tip: Book directly through the hotel's site
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
San Diego, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2011

My new hubby and I live in Carlsbad and decided to book the local Sheraton for our wedding night. We got married at a winery in Temecula, but there weren't many nice options out there. We decided on the Sheraton because we'd been there once before for another wedding. It seemed nice, new, clean, and classy. And, we were only staying one night and were off to Mexico on our honeymoon the next day.

We ended up paying about $250 for a room + breakfast. I'm more than happy to spend that on a nice hotel, so I didn't think anything of it at the time. After I booked, unbeknownst to me, my hubby called and told them that it would be our wedding night. They assured him they'd make it special for us, with champagne and chocolate strawberries in the room. He didn't ask for an upgrade or anything in particular, but was pleased that they seemed to have something planned for us.

We arrived to the Sheraton in our limo at about midnight, both of us extremely exhausted from our huge wedding day. We walked in, and the front desk person barely acknowledged that we had just gotten married (hello - I'm in a wedding dress, and he's in a tux, maybe a CONGRATULATIONS would be suitable in this situation?!). She gave us our room key and gave us minimal directions which involved walking back outside the lobby, and through a pool gate. Wow, nice way to get to the rooms...not! At this point, I'm already starting to dread staying here...

We were put on the first floor, which is always my least favorite floor to stay on due to noise, but I didn't say anything at the desk because I was just too tired. Our room was the LAST room before the doors to exit the building. We walked for ages (in my wedding dress, feet aching!) and finally got there. We go inside, and it's a dimly lit, small room with NO "surprises" as they'd promised. Just a run-of-the-mill room, nothing special at all. Needless to say, my husband was NOT happy that he'd called and arranged for something special for us, and they failed to deliver on this of all nights.

The next best part was that being at the end of the hall, near the exit doors, we constantly heard voices and doors slamming all night long. (I think there was a wedding taking place at the hotel and the guests were continuing the party). I seriously wanted to call the front desk and tell them THANKS A LOT for the fabulous room selection they gave me on my wedding night. Again, I was too tired to move, but seriously, I cannot believe they would put a bride and groom in that crappy location. Most other hotels would have even upgraded us...and we get this.

The bathroom was clean but tiny, the shower sucked, and the breakfast was just ok. Overall, I felt SO ripped off after staying here. $250 for a bed to sleep in, from midnight to 8 am, without any acknowledgment that it was our wedding night, was just ridiculous. From the appearance of the lobby and grounds, I expected the rooms to be MUCH nicer and more spacious. Since we live in Carlsbad, I wish we had just gone back to our house for our wedding night. I was trying to follow tradition and go somewhere nice and somewhat romantic, but boy was I wrong. That's $250 I'll never get back (which could have been spent on our honeymoon!) and all I'm left with is frustrating memories of my wedding night.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank little_sares
mlconner, Manager at Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa, responded to this review, May 29, 2011
I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback from your stay. I understand how important your wedding night is and that everything should be perfect. We failed to provide you with the level of service that we strive for at the Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa. I see that you stayed with us in October of 2010 and I would like to be able to address your concerns with our team. If you could take the time to reach out to me at mconner@sheratoncarlsbad.com, I would greatly appreciate it.
Megan Conner
Assistant General Manager
Santa Monica, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2011

The Good: You can't beat the private entrance to Legoland if that's your reason for being in Carlsbad.You can easily take the stroller to and from - no need for the car. The hotel itself seems relatively new and clean.

The Bad: The fact that this is called a Sheraton "resort" is ridiculous. My wife and I are platinum Starwood guests and we don't expect much from a Sheraton property, but this was awful. Other than the 42" TV we had in the room, the hotel and room layout was similar to a basic Hampton Inn. In fact, I'd say the bathroom is better in most Hampton Inns. The bed quality was awful. Like Grandma's attic. The food (room service and breakfast in the "club") was really not good. The bottom line is that the place does it's basic job well - it provides clean sleeping quarters and food. And it provides great access to Legoland, but they've clearly jumped on the Legoland attraction bonus and used that to somehow justify calling this place a "resort." Come. On. Starwood should be embarrassed by the lapse of standards. If you were a couple traveling without kids, you'd be alone at this place, wondering how in god's name yo made the mistake.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank pharmanuke
I would like to apologize that we did not meet your expectations of a Starwood Resort property. We have addressed the club lounge and we are looking into enhancements to better accommodate our guests. All of our rooms feature the Sheraton Signature Sweet Sleeper Bed. We receive many compliments about the comfort of our beds, so you can understand that this is concerning to hear that you did not care for the bed. If you would be so kind to email me the room that you stayed in while at our property, I would like to have an evaluation of the mattress done to ensure that it is up to Starwood's standards. I can be reached at mconner@sheratoncarlsbad.com. We have also added some additional features to the resort that you may enjoy if your travels take you back to Carlsbad, California. We feature Live Jazz at our Sunday brunch in Twenty/20 Grill and Wine Bar. On Tuesday we feature a local brewery and live blues music and Thursday evening features our award winning Tapas menu and Spanish Guitarist.

Warm Regards,