“Best hotel I have ever stayed”

Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad
Ranked #22 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
New Delhi, India
“Best hotel I have ever stayed”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

I have been staying here for the last 1 year and i find it the best place i have ever lived. The hotel is located very near to my office and i get free shuttle everyday to and from office. The staff is very friendly and takes care of my daily need on a highest priority. I even get 4 indian channels on my television which makes me feel like home. I would highly recommend this hotel to people visiting san diego and to enjoy its hospitality.

To conclude, my special thanks to staff of residence inn - Alex, Nick, Kelly ,Shawn, Ryan, Parker and Ron who made my last 1 year of stay memorable.

• Stayed February 2014
Trent S, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Ashish S,

Thank you for staying with us for a whole year and taking the time to write a review! It is great that we have made you comfortable even when you are so far from home. I am so pleased that the Indian Channels (that you helped me select) helps that feeling of being home.

Most of all, thank you for pointing out so many of our great staff members. It is so great to know them so well (and they know you). Thank you for being part of our extended family!

Warmly,

Trent Selbrede

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed March 19, 2014

We decided to stay here while in the area for a visit to LEGOLAND. The location was nice and the hotel itself looks great.

We had one of the one bedroom units. Modern, updated, clean. Love the kitchen area.

We did run into a couple of problems at check in. First, I have on my Marriott profile that I would like a room on a high floor. I do not like being on the ground level. Just don't feel safe. When I checked in I was told they could not get me a room on the top floor, but I wasn't happy being placed on the ground floor either (it is a 3 story hotel). Since it was just for one night I decided to just deal with it.

About 30 minutes after we got to the room, the AC system kicked in. I guess the location of the AC unit is in a closet in the master bedroom! There was a loud vibration and rattling! At first I had no idea what it was! it took me a few minutes to figure out it was coming from the closet.

I called down to the front desk about it. I was told all the units were like that and was offered earplugs? Really? And since I was on the first floor I could not open the window and feel safe.

A little while later I went down to the front desk and asked if they sold milk. The front desk agent went and got me some free milk! I then mentioned the noise issue again and this time got a different answer than from the other rep I spoke to. She made it seem like some AC units had been worked on, some had not. So some were quieter than others. She offered to move me to a different unit. This made me a little frustrated because the first person I spoke to said they were all the same. But since I had already unpacked I did not feel like making a move. Had the first person moved me earlier to a quieter unit that would have made me happy. So I was a little upset about the misinformation.

I did end up having to sleep with ear plugs after all!

I think I just got a bad unit because I read the reviews ahead of time and nobody mentioned the AC unit being so loud.

But aside from that I would stay here again if I were in the area. I would just make sure I didn't get a loud AC unit!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Lvtolvlife
Trent S, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Lvtolvlife,

Thank you for using our hotel as a base for your LegoLand visit and taking the time to give us feedback about your stay. We are very happy to hear that you found the rooms and kitchens modern and up to date. I am sorry that we were not able to honor your floor request. We always try to honor those first but sometimes being busy is a double-edged sword. We replaced all of our air conditioners about a year ago so they shouldn't be loud. We will definitely look into that! Just like a home, things occasionally break down but we should be able to address it with our maintenance staff. Thank you for bringing that to our attention.

I was pleased to hear that the front desk accommodated you with some milk and you would come back and see us again if in the area. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Okinawa, Japan
Reviewed March 6, 2014

My family, including our two cats, stayed here for five nights after vacating our house and awaiting our flight to our next duty station overseas. The location was good for us since we were still cleaning and making repairs to our house in Carlsbad. We rented a car from the nearby Avis location at Palomar Airport. The hotel is about 10 minutes from the front gate of Camp Pendleton - making it a perfect location for families PCSing with pets (request the government rate).

Staff at the front desk were always very friendly and helpful: providing sunscreen for our daughter who was enjoying the pool (even in February), arranging a late check-out for us while I was frantically packing for our long flight and offering to help any way they could. Since we had pets, the front desk also made special arrangements for cleaning our room.

The warm breakfast buffet (waffles, oatmeal, toast, muffins) was fine. Too bad there wasn't a Starbucks located in the food court across the street. My husband appreciated the Stone beer on tap during the hospitality hour. We had hoped the "light dinner fare" would suffice for dinner, but we decided to eat out or get take-out most nights. There are several new, casual restaurants nearby on Palomar Airport Road and El Camino Real (next to Lowe's) and also at Bressi Ranch. Of course, the rooms have kitchenettes, too.

There were a few minor maintenance issues during out stay (a loose cupboard handle, a missing shower knob, and broken dryer in the laundry room) that we didn't even bother to report - except the dryer. I also wish there had been recycling bins in the rooms for paper and bottles.

1 Thank khakola
Geoff W, Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
khakola,

Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad we could provide a place for your family and pets to use as home base during your transition. I'm glad you found our front desk staff friendly and accommodating. We are very proud of our team. It's nice to be able to enjoy the pool in February. We get spoiled with our nice weather in Carlsbad.

While the property is kind of tucked away it is nice to have options such as Bressi Ranch nearby. I'm glad your husband could enjoy a nice cold Stone Pale Ale in the evening.

We wish you all the best in your new location, and hope to see you again if your travels ever bring you back through Carlsbad.

Geoff Waddell
Assistant General Manager
Nephi, Utah
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Stayed 3 nights. Thursday night had complimentary BBQ. Staff was very accommodating and friendly. The hotel was well kept and clean. Room was quiet. My kids thought the room was awesome. My kids and wife went to LEGOLAND while I was at business and the complimentary shuttle from the motel took good care of them. Staff, room, breakfast were all great. As good a stay as anyone could hope for. Also a beautiful area.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Greg R
Trent S, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Greg R,

Thank you for spending 3 nights with us while on business! It is great that the family was able to join you and go to LEGOLAND at the same time. I am glad that they were able to take advantage of our scheduled LEGOLAND shuttle runs and the rest of our great amenities like complimentary breakfast. The new renovated rooms are certainly great but I am most proud of our staff for showing you and your family our famous hospitality.

We hope to see you and the family again soon. Maybe next time, they can see the Safari Park and Sea World!

Encintas
Reviewed February 25, 2014

The staff couldn't be more friendly. We had a great time here. Free beer and wine during happy hour and always a great meal. My whole family had a blast. I highly recommend staying here. My kids never wanted to leave. They have a heated pool, a 72" flat screen, a basketball court and much more.

• Stayed February 2014
Trent S, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Jessevilla,

It is so awesome that you and your family had a great time here. I know that my kids love hotels as well. Something about elevators and keycards are fascinating! The heated pool and outdoor big TV are certainly fun too. We love our Monday-Thursday social hour as much as our guests. Something about free beer and wine makes many people happy!

Thank you for pointing out the friendly staff service. At the end of the day, they are truly what sets our hotel apart.

Safe travels!

San Jose, California
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Stayed for 1 week in 2 bedroom suite, everything was excellent from the staff to the rooms.
We only stay at Marriott properties because they are consistently clean and the staff are always polite and eager to meet your needs.
This property is 3.3 miles away from LEGOLAND. (6 minute drive)
They also provide a free shuttle.
Hot breakfast in the morning and evening dinner/snack at night with free beer & wine.
Treat yourself to best and choose Marriott. (I do not work for Marriott)

Room Tip: 2 bedroom suites have 2 bathrooms, kitchen and a separate living room. (very spacious)
1 Thank Patrick Y
Trent S, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Patrick Y,

Thank you for the great review. it is awesome that you made us your base while visiting LEGOLAND! Thank you for being such a loyal Marriott guest. It is great that you not only recognize the consistency, but also the great staff service. Thank you for pointing out our proximity to LEGOLAND and the great breakfast and Mon-Thurs social hour with beer and wine. Those are great conveniences when travelling with family.

Thank you again for the review and recommendation to others.

Trent Selbrede

P.S. I am sorry for the delay in reply. I see you submitted this review a week ago but it did not show up until today on TripAdvisor.
Reviewed February 19, 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights during my sons LEGOLAND Robotics competition. We stayed in the 1 bedroom suite. There were 2 kids and 3 adults until the last night when my son joined us then we were 3 and 3. We picked this property because we wanted to cook in on a few night and when we booked we asked if they had an oven and was told yes.
The front desk staff is AMAZING! They were so accommodating and kind. We checked in close to 7pm and Kelli checked us in. We asked if there was a store nearby and she immediately asked what we needed. I told her we needed some milk for my son's sippy cup and she went to the back and brought back 2 cartons of milk from their morning buffet. She didn't even hesitate! We went up to our room and immediately noticed that there was no oven just a burner. We went back down and talked to Kelli and told her what we were promised. We told her we had picked up a pizza to bake in the oven and she immediately offered to buy us pizza dinner. She gave us the menu and told us to order and they they would take care of the bill when the pizza was delivered. That was exactly what happen. It was really good pizza plus we were starving from traveling all day. We tried to get into a 2 bedroom (because they have a stove) but they were booked. We ended up eating out the rest of the nights but the free pizza dinner the first night was certainly appreciated!
The room was a lot smaller than what we had expected. The bedroom itself is closed off with a door and was a great size as was the 1 bathroom but the dining room area and living area are pretty small for the 5 and then 6 of us. I would say that this room is better suited for a couple with 1 small child or 2 kids. There was a pullout sofa bed in the living room. Not super comfortable by any means but I have never really found one that it is.
My daughter swam in the outdoor heated pool every night and had a blast, it was a very nice pool. Breakfast in the morning was really nice. Hot items included pancakes, eggs, waffle maker, potatoes, French toast, biscuit and gravy. They had cold cereal, yogurt, toast and pastries. The seating area was nice, got a little crowded during peak times and wasn't really an area for large groups. We just ended up pulling the small circle tables together. They never had a problem keeping the food stocked, they never ran out of anything. They really need more trashcans though, they were tiny and constantly full.
I would definitely come back but stay in the 2 bedroom for sure.
In all we had a pleasant stay and were very impressed by the staff here. Great customer service is a hard thing to find and we were pleasantly impressed and relieved to have found it here.

1 Thank Isabel C
Trent S, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
CbnCampy,

Thank you for the thoughtful and detailed review! Thank you for choosing us to be your base while at the LegoLand competition. It sounds like the stay didn't start exactly as planned but it is awesome to hear that Keli stepped up and made a gesture to make it right. I travel with my family as well and I realize the importance of the kitchen to recharge after a long day. Indeed we do have a few rooms with full ovens including our two bedroom units so that sounds like a great option for next time.

We are also pleased that your daughter enjoyed our warm pool in the evenings and that our breakfast helped start the day off right. We can be busy but try to balance that with additional seating outside and in our meeting room.

Thank you so much for the compliments on our staff and service. It sounds like they were the highlight of the stay and we will definitely share your feedback with them. We hope your travels bring you back to Carlsbad and LegoLand soon!

Safe travels,