“Small room, but functional, clean, and very affordable!”

Motel 6 Carlsbad South
Ranked #33 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed March 9, 2009

Stayed for one night en-route to San Diego - decided to stop at Carlsbad to do a bit of shopping at the premium outlets and do some photography at the flower fields. This motel 6 is a little south of Carlsbad centre but only 3 mins away from the flower fields and the factory outlets. The room was small but functional, and with the other Motel 6's I've stayed in, very clean. Wifi is $2.99 per 24 hrs. The property is located beside numerous others but for the price ($50 a night), you can't go wrong...!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo

Reviewed August 23, 2007

We stayed one night, and one night is all that I could have handled.

Pros:
Cheap rate
Very safe neighborhood
One block from restaurants

Cons:
Horrible bedding
Loud (walls paper-thin)
Needed to wear shower-shoes!

Stayed: August 2007
2  Thank JMBH77
Reviewed July 21, 2007

Spent one night at this motel.
I chose it for 3 reasons. 1: the price 2: the proximity to LegoLand (less than 10 min away) and 3: the previous reviews on trip advisor , which seemed to be more positive than the Ramada Limited, which I also contemplated staying at.
This is most definitely a budget property. It was spartan, but unlike some reviews, I found the room to be spotless. When I arrived, there as a handwritten paper sign on the night check in window (it was approx 11pm) saying that there were no rooms, "reservations only". The night clerk was friendly and efficient. I had reserved a double bed non-smoking room, and that's exactly what I got.
The air conditioning worked fine, we were given a room facing the pool, and away from I-5. There was no noise, and the beds were reasonably comfortable. Toiletries were non existant, save for a lone bar of soap at the sink, and another on the tub. Towels were not of the highest quality, but they were fresh and clean. I would have appreciated a coffee maker in the room, but reminded myself that I only paid $79.00 all in, compared to rates of double or in some cases triple for hotels/motels in this vicinity. There was coffee available in the "lobby" from 7am, and I did bring two cups back to my room. There is a Jack's fast food burger and breakfast place a couple of blocks away, which was perfect after the long drive, and we went back for breakfast before starting our day at Legoland. The pool area was clean, and I took my son for an early morning swim before heading out. Please keep in mind this a budget property. no laundry bags for the wet bathing suit, no room safe for valuabless. BUT, for the price and for one night, I have no complaints, and would absolutely stay here again for a short stay, if I were were going back to Legoland.

• Stayed: July 2007
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank mginsb8256
Reviewed July 31, 2006

My family of 5 (2 parents, 1 adult child, 2 younger children) stayed last week for 2 nights (Thu/Fri night) and everything was as expected for a budget motel. Bring your own shampoo and don't expect a lot of storage areas. However, the reservation was correct (we requested and received 2 adjoining rooms), we were checked in in a timely manner, and the office had extra towels when we needed them. The pool wasn't pristine, but it was clean and definitely served our purpose.

The location by the freeway concerned me before we arrived, but we were on the far side of the property and didn't hear any significant noise.

The hotel is a long walk from the beach. You can do it if you don't mind the walk. However, there are great beaches within a very short drive.

It was pretty hot when we were there, so the ice machines were short on supply. However, $2 at the nearby Ralphs Grocery took care of that. The air conditioners are loud but worked.

There appear to be long term residents staying there, but it was not a problem at all.

The rooms seemed to be freshly redecorated and painted because they were clean and bright. There were a few signs of former cigarette burns, but the room was non-smoking and had no smell at all. Perhaps the room was converted to non-smoking in the recent past. Again, not an issue -- just an observation.

The TV worked fine. We got a number of cable channels including HBO. However, it does not have RCA plugs to plug in our own video games, etc. The coaxial connector on the back could probably have been used to plug something in, but we didn't have that kind of connector for anything.

We would have no problem staying here again when we are on a budget. The 2 nights were 1/2 the price of the same stay at the "Suite" hotel that we usually stay in.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank CAGeorgeFamily
Reviewed August 27, 2005

I have stayed at this hotel several times in the past but found my last visit unacceptable. The hotel is not maintained, carpets are badly stained, as is concrete on walkways. Lots of loud drinking parties on weekends and through the summer. Looks like some people have made it their home as there is an umbrella table and several chairs in the parking spaces as you enter the property--as though this is the dinner spot of some long time residents. Expect to hear the AC as it is noisy in most rooms. Asking to change rooms is a big headache and truly it doesn't change the problems as all rooms are rundown. The staff has also changed and you don't get the wonderful service of the past. This used to be a wonderful motel at a great rate. Now it has turned into a run down flop house, which is a real shame.

• Stayed: July 2004
6  Thank debt1206
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 12, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Motel 6 South for 3 nights, in March 2005. We had an immaculate clean, attractive room by the pool and were pleasantly surprised that altho the motel backs up to the freeway, once in the room, it was very quiet. The room was a little small but quite adequate. We had two very comfortable beds, and a nice size TV with remote. The bathroom was also small but adequate. The grounds are lovely, and the location is ideal. The staff was great. They were very friendly, helpful and most accomodating. Considered a NO FRILLS, BUDGET MOTEL.. The Carlsbad Motel 6 South is a cut above. We have paid much more for quite a bit less in the same area and look forward to our next stay.

• Stayed: March 2005
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 6, 2004

We recently spent 2 weekend nights at this location in August and it was pretty good overall.

First - you do get what you pay for. There really isn't anything special about this property but the price is right, especially when one considers the location.

The rooms are plain and don't even come with a clock radio. They are clean, however, and the air conditioning worked fine though it was a little on the noisy side. Outside the grounds were nice, and the pool was a real treat though not necessarily warm enough for little kids - at least during the evening hours.

You are within walking distance (5 minutes) of fast food and a strip mall including a grocery store. Better yet - within 10 minutes you can actually walk to the beach! Only an easy 5 minute drive to Legoland as well so, for the price, it is really a pretty good deal.

If you want fancy - stay somewhere else. If you are planning on Legoland, the beach, or just on your way somewhere else then I think you will find this property more than adequate.

• Stayed: August 2004